Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
askmeaquestion

New

Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell?

Post by askmeaquestion » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:20 pm

What's the better laptop? Can't decide between dell and lenovo.

dood

Gold

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell?

Post by dood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:19 pm

lenovo imo.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Not Dell.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:39 pm

dood wrote:which models? i can vouch for dell latitude series and thinkpad T series, both are business workhorses. i was giving the dell D610 and E5XXX by my company, dropped D610 MANY times, one time threw on concrete and still survived. i had the E for a shorter period of time but was reliable too. i currently use T400, it is also equally reliable, but the feel of the keyboard is not as good as the dell.

between the 2 doesnt really matter, all that is important is to avoid the el cheapo special from best buy....though 99% of them are fine, if know more than a few people who have devastating system failures at exactly the wrong time (i.e. right before lrw final memo is due, in the middle of a final, etc). pay extra $200 just to be 100% sure, IMO.
Have you ever tried finding a replacement part for a 3+ year old latitude?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Image
Why think different when you can take credit for something without thinking?

I'm a talking pear and Windows 7 was *my* idea!

askmeaquestion

New

Post by askmeaquestion » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:04 pm

dood wrote:which models? i can vouch for dell latitude series and thinkpad T series, both are business workhorses. i was giving the dell D610 and E5XXX by my company, dropped D610 MANY times, one time threw on concrete and still survived. i had the E for a shorter period of time but was reliable too. i currently use T400, it is also equally reliable, but the feel of the keyboard is not as good as the dell.

between the 2 doesnt really matter, all that is important is to avoid the el cheapo special from best buy....though 99% of them are fine, if know more than a few people who have devastating system failures at exactly the wrong time (i.e. right before lrw final memo is due, in the middle of a final, etc). pay extra $200 just to be 100% sure, IMO.
I was looking at the Dell Inspiron 14R. And for Thinkpad, i didnt have any models in mind, just something that will get me through law school.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Going with the Lenovo for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:36 am

Usually making a generalized judgment about a brand without taking into account the actual models in question is pretty stupid, from my experience and understanding...dell sucks.

Go with Thinkpad.

Ill be using a HP 11.6" netbook in class/library and a dell vostro 1400 hooked up to a monitor/keyboard/mouse at home.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 am

It's almost impossible to buy a truly bad laptop these days. They all have plenty of power to do what you need for law school and will work fine as long as you take care of them.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:42 am

nealric wrote:It's almost impossible to buy a truly bad laptop these days. They all have plenty of power to do what you need for law school and will work fine as long as you take care of them.
As far as computing power, true; as far as failure rates, some models/brands suck.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:48 am

Don't buy any laptop from an American company except Apple.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 am

MC Southstar wrote:Don't buy any laptop from an American company except Apple.
fixt

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:55 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
fixt
I hate apple as much as the next logical person, but they have made relatively solid hardware up to this point, though it is obvious that quality is slipping now that they are the largest marketing department in the world.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:20 am

I like Lenovo's because they've traditionally been the "business" computer. Although a brand like toshiba isn't bad either. I would just pick a decently configured Thinkpad

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:31 pm

As far as computing power, true; as far as failure rates, some models/brands suck.
A few do, but they are quite rare. Every brand has it's share of "horror stories", but the vast, vast majority of models are just fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Unless it's a Dell.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Unless it's a Dell.
My Dell has taken almost 4 years of abuse including being dropped several times. I once dropped it 4 feet onto concrete. The screen was cracked, but one week and $80 on ebay later it was running like a champ with a new screen. I still see no need whatsoever to upgrade. The vast majority of Dells are fine. You hear complaints mostly because they are also the one of the most purchased brands. If Dell sells 1M computers and Brand X sells 500k, you are going to have twice as many disgruntled users from Dell even with the same failure rate. Moreover, other that the motherboard and internal power supply, there is nothing on a laptop that can't be replaced relatively easily if it fails.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Actually, you hear complaints because Dell sucks as a company from top to bottom.

If you buy a computer and it works fine, great. But odds are it will not, and Dell will basically tell you to fuck off.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Have any of you guys tried looking for replacement parts for a 4 y/o dell?

Dell doesn't keep these a stock of these parts for much after the warranty period on the last laptop sold with the particular part in it. In fact, most of the times, not even the techs know what parts your computer has. :shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
fixt
I hate apple as much as the next logical person, but they have made relatively solid hardware up to this point, though it is obvious that quality is slipping now that they are the largest marketing department in the world.
You do understand that Apple doesn't make the laptops, right? Foxconn in China does - along with HP's, Sony's, and a couple other brands.

I don't think there are any mainstream laptop companies that make laptops in America.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I don't think there are any mainstream laptop companies that make laptops in America.

Boutique firms do, typically, but I doubt they qualify under your mainstream definition.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:23 am

kalvano wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I don't think there are any mainstream laptop companies that make laptops in America.

Boutique firms do, typically, but I doubt they qualify under your mainstream definition.
You know me all too well. iBuyPower kicks ass, though. For a gaming laptop, their entry level knocks the socks off the most expensive MBP... just not sure on that plastic.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:26 am

Have any of you guys tried looking for replacement parts for a 4 y/o dell?
Silly, you don't get replacement parts from Dell. They are literally all over ebay for pennies on the dollar over Dell- even for 10 year old laptops. It doesn't ever matter if the techs know what's in your machine. Laptop repair basically goes like this (subject to a few diagnostics):

Do you have a virus, or is the computer just "slow"? ---> Format and reinstall windows
BSODs? ---> New Ram (run memtest to be certain), could be software, mobo, hardrive
Mobo dead --> Get new laptop (mobo replacement is doable, but I find it to be too much of a PITA due to the 25 types of screws laptop makers use)
Screen went black --> New Backlight
Windows not booting --> New hard drive
Weird grinding noise? --> New fan

All of the above are pretty much generic parts with the exception of the backlight and the fans (which are semi-generic).

Boutique firms do, typically, but I doubt they qualify under your mainstream definition
They are just parts aggregators. Every component inside will be made in Asia (with the possible exception of the processor which may be made elsewhere).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”