Six-Year BA/JD Program @ Rutgers-Camden... Good Idea?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
artfuldodger23

Six-Year BA/JD Program @ Rutgers-Camden... Good Idea?

Postby artfuldodger23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:47 pm

Hey Guys,

So my cousin decided to apply to the 6 year BA/JD program at Rutgers-Camden. I personally approved of the idea because Philadelphia is about 4 minutes away if you cross the Ben Franklin Bridge, but I am really worried about the crime/safety of the are itself. If she does get accepted (I am confident she will -- 2240 SAT/33 ACT with 3.91 GPA), would it be worth it to attend it with the negative (safety) outweighing the positive (excellent Job opportunities and internship/work experience opportunities)?

Thanks

bk1

Re: Six-Year BA/JD Program @ Rutgers-Camden... Good Idea?

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:11 pm

artfuldodger23 wrote:excellent Job opportunities

Are we thinking about the same Rutgers-Camden?

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 pm

bk1 wrote:

Yes.

And It's not that unsafe from what I hear...a lot of people commute in from the nice burbs or from Philly itself

artfuldodger23

Postby artfuldodger23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:41 pm

bk1 wrote:

I apologize for the non specificity, excellent job opportunities at Philadelphia, not Camden, NJ.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 pm

artfuldodger23 wrote:I apologize for the non specificity, excellent job opportunities at Philadelphia, not Camden, NJ.

Rutgers-Camden will not provide people with excellent job opportunities. This program is not worthwhile.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
artfuldodger23 wrote:I apologize for the non specificity, excellent job opportunities at Philadelphia, not Camden, NJ.
Rutgers-Camden will not provide people with excellent job opportunities. This program is not worthwhile.

+1

Tell your "cousin" to just get her BA and earn the best GPA possible. She'll have much better opportunities that way.

artfuldodger23

Postby artfuldodger23 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 pm

bk1 wrote:

How can you confirm this statement? Mistake me if I am wrong but according to this website it says under the Rutgers-Camden ranking, "Nearby Philadelphia provides a plethora of opportunities, both social and educational, for students to enhance their law school experience."

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm

artfuldodger23 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
How can you confirm this statement? Mistake me if I am wrong but according to this website it says under the Rutgers-Camden ranking, "Nearby Philadelphia provides a plethora of opportunities, both social and educational, for students to enhance their law school experience."
I find it difficult to believe that somebody who got a 173 on the LSAT would equate the enhancement of law school experience with employment opportunities.

Also, per your previous comment, I call flame.
artfuldodger23 wrote:Personally I don't think its a good idea, she is a brilliant girl and I think she could make it to a T14 Law school but she would think it'd be too hard. What are your guys' opinion on this?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Reading your previous posts:

She finds the LSAT stressful and she wants to go to school and be a lawyer? If she finds that stressful she would be better in a low stress environment like working the deep fryer at McDonald's.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 pm

bk1 wrote:

This is simply untrue. While not T14, it does well for itself, and at the price, well...

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 pm

bk1 wrote:Reading your previous posts:

She finds the LSAT stressful and she wants to go to school and be a lawyer? If she finds that stressful she would be better in a low stress environment like working the deep fryer at McDonald's.

LoL at no LSAT=food services. That is patently stupid.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:17 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:This is simply untrue. While not T14, it does well for itself, and at the price, well...

Umm, well you and I have different definitions of "excellent." While Rutgers is probably one of the strongest second tier schools out there (considering cost, not having much competition, etc), it is by no means providing excellent job opportunities. Is it better than something like St. John's, USF, or even Brooklyn/Cardozo in my opinion? Undoubtedly. That doesn't make it a good school and it does not make this a good decision.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
bk1 wrote:Reading your previous posts:

LoL at no LSAT=food services. That is patently stupid.

No accredited law school that values it's ranking is going to take a student without LSAT.

No LSAT/BAR = no chance at law. Ever. Just tell your..."you" to quit at this point.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:LoL at no LSAT=food services. That is patently stupid.

Anybody dumb enough to want to go to law school but feel that they should blight their employment prospects by not taking the LSAT because it is "too stressful" may actually be underqualified for food services.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:21 pm

bk1 wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:LoL at no LSAT=food services. That is patently stupid.

Anybody dumb enough to want to go to law school but feel that they should blight their employment prospects by not taking the LSAT because it is "too stressful" may actually be underqualified for food services.

I'll attest to this,
If using a Frymaster, there may be up to 10 choices - 5-6 more than the typical LSAT question.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:27 pm

ResolutePear wrote:No accredited law school that values it's ranking is going to take a student without LSAT.

Subtle anti-Michigan trolling

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 pm

clintonius wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:No accredited law school that values it's ranking is going to take a student without LSAT.

Subtle anti-Michigan trolling

lol, you beat me to it.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:33 pm

clintonius wrote:
bk1 wrote:

+1

Tell your "cousin" to just get her BA and earn the best GPA possible. She'll have much better opportunities that way.

and it's only an extra year doing in the other way

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:37 pm

I think safety would be a pro when stacked next to the job prospects.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:43 pm

I didn't know they still did this. They used to 50 years ago.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:34 am

bk1 wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:This is simply untrue. While not T14, it does well for itself, and at the price, well...

Umm, well you and I have different definitions of "excellent." While Rutgers is probably one of the strongest second tier schools out there (considering cost, not having much competition, etc), it is by no means providing excellent job opportunities. Is it better than something like St. John's, USF, or even Brooklyn/Cardozo in my opinion? Undoubtedly. That doesn't make it a good school and it does not make this a good decision.

Let me ask--how many people do you know that went to Camden?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:44 am

ajmanyjah wrote:Let me ask--how many people do you know that went to Camden?

I don't need to know a graduate of every single law school to get a general approximation of how strong their placement power is.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:04 am

ajmanyjah wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I don't understand why people come onto these forums to ask for advice and when the forum doesn't confirm their own frame of thought, they have a need to convince people otherwise.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:38 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I don't understand why people come onto these forums to ask for advice and when the forum doesn't confirm their own frame of thought, they have a need to convince people otherwise.

+1

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I don't understand why people come onto these forums to ask for advice and when the forum doesn't confirm their own frame of thought, they have a need to convince people otherwise.

Um, I didn't ask for advice about Camden. I know a few grads from there who are doing pretty well for themselves, and at least two graduated above median but not really at the top (they were obviously reticent about specifics but they all work in Philly or the surrounding suburbs)

Jersey has three schools, only one that is in South Jersey, and their only real competition in Philly is Temple (which outplaces them) and Villanova (which I think is crap but eh)

They dominate state gov't and the like too

In anything but biglaw, it does quite well for itself, and it dominates South Jersey, a pretty healthy legal market

Return to “Law School FAQ”