How is "LOCI" pronounced? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

How is "LOCI" pronounced?

Low-cheee
6%
Low-cee
13%
Low-kai
13%
Low-keh
No votes
Lock-eye
3%
Lock-eee
No votes
Lock-eh
No votes
Low-key
35%
Other
29%

Total votes: 31

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 pm

What is the proper saying?
Last edited by txhorn on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Re: How is "LOCI" pronounced?

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:50 pm

El-oh-cee-eye.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Those who say things like "LOCI" in real life generally pronounce it "I-am-doo-shee"

Edit: eskimo's pronunciation is probably an acceptable variant when conversing with other TLSers.
Last edited by stratocophic on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:53 pm

txhorn wrote:What is the proper saying?

Just so you know there is no "proper" pronunciation for anything, and anyone who says otherwise is stupid. Everyone has an accent to someone.

ajmanyjah

Bronze

Post by ajmanyjah » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm

stratocophic wrote:Those who say things like "LOCI" in real life generally pronounce it "I-am-doo-shee"
Really?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:57 pm

"low key"

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:57 pm

stratocophic wrote:Those who say things like "LOCI" in real life generally pronounce it "I-am-doo-shee"
Hahaha +1

But really, do people actually say stuff like this IRL? I thought it was just to abbreviate typing... if someone called it an "LOR" in real life and didn't just say "recommendation letter" I'd think they were bizarre.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:00 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
txhorn wrote:What is the proper saying?

Just so you know there is no "proper" pronunciation for anything, and anyone who says otherwise is stupid. Everyone has an accent to someone.
This has no bearing on this inane discussion, but there's a big difference between pronouncing something slightly differently due to your accent and pronouncing something incorrectly. Mainly the fact that the second one makes people look dumb. It's the verbal equivalent of blatantly misspelling words.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:59 pm

ell-ess-ay-tee

ell-sat

or ell-sats

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I've always pronounced it "letter of continuing interest"

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Last edited by Cogburn87 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ofspades

Bronze

Post by 2ofspades » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:11 am

General Tso wrote:ell-ess-ay-tee

ell-sat

or ell-sats
lol

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:19 am

eskimo wrote:
Hahaha +1

But really, do people actually say stuff like this IRL? I thought it was just to abbreviate typing... if someone called it an "LOR" in real life and didn't just say "recommendation letter" I'd think they were bizarre.
But it's not bizarre to say LSAT instead of law school admissions test? I think would-be lawyers pride themselves on efficiency and it seems logical to refer to things like letters of recommendation as LORs if both people understand the long meaning of the term.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:20 am

I've pronounced "LOCI" like the actual word "loci" before. You know, because that makes the most sense if you're going to do it at all.

By which I mean to say, why the fuck is that not an option on the poll?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:50 am

JOThompson wrote:
eskimo wrote:
Hahaha +1

But it's not bizarre to say LSAT instead of law school admissions test? I think would-be lawyers pride themselves on efficiency and it seems logical to refer to things like letters of recommendation as LORs if both people understand the long meaning of the term.
But that's the thing: most people know what the LSAT is, but I'd wager next to none of my friends (or professors) - EVEN those applying to law school - know what an "LOCI" is. TLS-slang in real life is just weird, whereas LSAT, MCAT, ACT, SAT are all common and acceptable.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:52 am

eskimo wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
eskimo wrote:
Hahaha +1

But that's the thing: most people know what the LSAT is, but I'd wager next to none of my friends (or professors) - EVEN those applying to law school - know what an "LOCI" is. TLS-slang in real life is just weird, whereas LSAT, MCAT, ACT, SAT are all common and acceptable.
Fair enough point about LOCI being a relatively unknown term outside of TLS and a few elite admissions guides. Perhaps we're nerdier than most, but some of my friends and I do say LOR when discussing admissions. :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”