Man Backpack for Law School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
quixotical

Bronze

Re: Man Backpack for Law School?

Post by quixotical » Thu May 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Emma. wrote:Is this a flame, DF? There's literally 3 "What bag should I get?" threads on the homepage right now.

If not, I like my new Timbuk2 Command
I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't find these threads :oops: Help please? Thanks in advance :)

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu May 26, 2011 9:13 pm

quixotical wrote:
Emma. wrote:Is this a flame, DF? There's literally 3 "What bag should I get?" threads on the homepage right now.

I don't know what's wrong with me but I can't find these threads :oops: Help please? Thanks in advance :)
Here are a few:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=123239

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=77649

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=24173

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=126764

quixotical

Bronze

Post by quixotical » Thu May 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Dany wrote:
quixotical wrote:

Here are a few:

Thank you!!! :)

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Fri May 27, 2011 2:11 am

quixotical wrote:
Dany wrote:
quixotical wrote:

Here are a few:

Thank you!!! :)
Just as an FYI, it might help next time if you check the date on the OP. Threads get necroposted all the time on TLS, or at least they used to when I browsed regularly.

In case that comes off as snarky, I don't mean it that way, I promise. I couldn't think of a way to phrase it that wouldn't, but checking the date really can help when someone necroposts in a thread with posts like the one you quoted.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri May 27, 2011 2:14 am

thalassocrat wrote:Just as an FYI, it might help next time if you check the date on the OP. Threads get necroposted all the time on TLS, or at least they used to when I browsed regularly.

In case that comes off as snarky, I don't mean it that way, I promise. I couldn't think of a way to phrase it that wouldn't, but checking the date really can help when someone necroposts in a thread with posts like the one you quoted.
What are you talking about? It's not like I'm linking threads about computers (where information needs to be up-to-date). Opinions on law school bags aren't invalid because they're from the last few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Fri May 27, 2011 2:23 am

Dany wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:Just as an FYI, it might help next time if you check the date on the OP. Threads get necroposted all the time on TLS, or at least they used to when I browsed regularly.

What are you talking about? It's not like I'm linking threads about computers (where information needs to be up-to-date). Opinions on law school bags aren't invalid because they're from the last few years.
Oh, sorry about that, I meant the original one they quoted, not yours. I was talking about why quixotical couldn't find the threads in the first place; I assumed because of the post they quoted that they were looking on the front page, where those threads wouldn't be. It's a bit too late for me to be posting I think.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri May 27, 2011 2:25 am

Ah gotcha. No worries.

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:41 pm

As far as carrying your laptop you can always just get a normal bag and keep your laptop in a $2 bubblewrap envelope. Worked for me for quite awhile.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:00 pm

moandersen wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:No laptop bag, though, so I'll be getting a new one for LS. Possibly: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... surge.html, if it's big enough to hold books+laptop.
I have that bag now. works great for my 14" and usually a textbook and a supplement or two. doesnt really fit two casebooks though, but really, what bag does? (unless they are small casebooks)
http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail. ... %20Laptops

This bag will fit at least two casebooks, your laptop, lunch, gym clothes and more. Its great if you take a bus and need to bring everything with you in the morning!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sat May 28, 2011 12:44 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
moandersen wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:No laptop bag, though, so I'll be getting a new one for LS. Possibly: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... surge.html, if it's big enough to hold books+laptop.
I have that bag now. works great for my 14" and usually a textbook and a supplement or two. doesnt really fit two casebooks though, but really, what bag does? (unless they are small casebooks)
http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail. ... %20Laptops

This bag will fit at least two casebooks, your laptop, lunch, gym clothes and more. Its great if you take a bus and need to bring everything with you in the morning!
That Targus bag is fantastic. They hold up pretty well too... I've had mine for 5 years.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat May 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Why has nobody said anything about booq yet? I prefer their backpacks, but their messenger bags are pretty slick too.

Personally, I like their Boa Squeeze the best.

--ImageRemoved--

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:17 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 pm

European man satchel.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
sab0tage wrote:North face is the best backpack I've ever owned. Expensive as shit but I had one I used daily for 8+ years and nothing ever went wrong with it. I'd still be using it if it wasn't stolen by a crackhead.
I used Eddie Bauer backpacks in high school...they only lasted a year each but the return policy is irreproachable. (They'll replace any bag with the current equivalent, no matter how old, if something tears or breaks.)

Switched to North Face in UG and the only reason I bought new ones was because I wanted a new one. I'm almost 9 years out of UG now and I still have a couple of my UG-era TNF packs in perfect condition aside from a little dirt. No laptop bag, though, so I'll be getting a new one for LS. Possibly: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... surge.html, if it's big enough to hold books+laptop.
When I was about to start undergrad, my father gave me his old North Face Borealis to replace my crappy Jansport. It was 2-3 years old when I got it, and he had used it for travel and when he went hiking. I used it all 4 years throughout undergrad. Kept my stuff dry through rain, sleet and snow. For four years. Stuffed and overstuffed it, carried my laptop in it, never had a single tear or busted zipper. One hell of a bag. I wouldn't even consider getting a non-North Face replacement for it. The bag I have will set you back around $80 (though if you're an intelligent deal shopper you can find it for 10 or even 20 bucks less than the NF website price). Worth every penny. It's not really "expensive" if it takes years of abuse. I'm considering buying a new Borealis for law school this fall, but my old one is still perfectly fine. I abuse the hell out of it too. I think I'll hold onto it.

If I replace it I'll probably get a larger, quasi-hiking pack to accommodate casebooks and stuff like the Box Shot. When I'm traveling (plane, car, bus), it doubles as a weekend bag, so I could use the extra space to fit books and clothes should it be necessary.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Forgot to add that I love me a good messenger bag. Friend of mine has an awesome satchel (or man purse if you insist), that perfectly accommodates his macbook air. I'm envious, not only because an air is impractical for me but because, due to the realities of casebooks, so is a satchel as my main bag. I think the encyclopaedic, concussive casebooks are really going to challenge not only my spine but my minimalist schoolbag philosophy.

I'd love to use a good messenger/laptop bag, but I don't see how. Either too small or uncomfortable to accommodate casebooks. I like to carry my laptop in its own bag, but carrying a messenger bag over a bookbag makes you look like a dork. It's a shame because my last year of undergrad I typed all my notes (no paper notebooks whatsoever, digitized all handouts) and most of my reading I could get on my laptop, or at most a small book that fit in my bag. I love Oakley's computer bags, but I guess they won't be a practical day-to-day bag unless you can get e-casebooks.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Forgot to add that I love me a good messenger bag. Friend of mine has an awesome satchel (or man purse if you insist), that perfectly accommodates his macbook air. I'm envious, not only because an air is impractical for me but because, due to the realities of casebooks, so is a satchel as my main bag. I think the encyclopaedic, concussive casebooks are really going to challenge not only my spine but my minimalist schoolbag philosophy.

I'd love to use a good messenger/laptop bag, but I don't see how. Either too small or uncomfortable to accommodate casebooks. I like to carry my laptop in its own bag, but carrying a messenger bag over a bookbag makes you look like a dork. It's a shame because my last year of undergrad I typed all my notes (no paper notebooks whatsoever, digitized all handouts) and most of my reading I could get on my laptop, or at most a small book that fit in my bag. I love Oakley's computer bags, but I guess they won't be a practical day-to-day bag unless you can get e-casebooks.
There are some people that use just a laptop messenger bag to carry their laptop, pens and such and then they just carry their casebooks in their arms. This method really depends on how far you park from school or if your commute is long, etc. However, most (all?) law schools have lockers, so you don't need to carry everything with you all the time. Just a thought!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:17 pm

All about Chrome messenger bags while riding your fixie to school in cutoff dress pants and an ironic moustache.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:26 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Forgot to add that I love me a good messenger bag. Friend of mine has an awesome satchel (or man purse if you insist), that perfectly accommodates his macbook air. I'm envious, not only because an air is impractical for me but because, due to the realities of casebooks, so is a satchel as my main bag. I think the encyclopaedic, concussive casebooks are really going to challenge not only my spine but my minimalist schoolbag philosophy.

There are some people that use just a laptop messenger bag to carry their laptop, pens and such and then they just carry their casebooks in their arms. This method really depends on how far you park from school or if your commute is long, etc. However, most (all?) law schools have lockers, so you don't need to carry everything with you all the time. Just a thought!
Completely forgot about lockers! Great, that might seal the deal for me then. I literally just carry a small notebook and class books only if absolutely necessary. Still not sure. Wouldn't want to have to walk from home to class carrying two casebooks (I mean, I'm a moderately big guy, I can handle it, it's just clunky and not ideal).

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:03 pm

lisjjen wrote:Why has nobody said anything about booq yet? I prefer their backpacks, but their messenger bags are pretty slick too.

Personally, I like their Boa Squeeze the best.

--ImageRemoved--
Holy shit that backpack is awesome

Hippononymous

Bronze

Post by Hippononymous » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 pm

I have a leather messenger bag, but I need a new black leather shoulder strap for it. I checked Wilson's Leather, but all they same would be like a "same-shoulder-purse" look. I want to go crossbody; I find that to be more comfortable. I'm 6'3".

Anyone know where I might find something like this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:27 am

pfff
I'm using my Jansport backpack I got back in middle school.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:Not cheap, but totally worth it. I love mine.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/laptop-bags.html
May buy one of these. Only real important thing to me is that my bag be waterproof. I thought mine was until I walked home in the rain and my laptop had been sitting in a small puddle of water :|
These things are TOTALLY waterproof, pvc-lined ftw.
Plus you'll get to look like a bike messenger from the late 90s. 8)
+1 on chrome if you're looking for messenger bags...though I could have sworn that they looked even nicer the last time I was on their site. Was there another brand that also had that belt buckle contraption?

If you want a 2-strap backpack, I'd recommend swissgear.

Edit: Spire bags are nice as well: --LinkRemoved--

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:33 pm

d
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:58 pm

This was supposed to be easy. Now I'm trying to decide between Tom Bihn, Spire and Chrome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”