Easy part-time job for 1L - good or bad idea (40$/hr)? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

4 hours of coaching a week to pay rent out of pocket?

Yes, coach!
90%
No, don't coach!
10%

Total votes: 115

ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Easy part-time job for 1L - good or bad idea (40$/hr)?

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 am

GoBroncos22! wrote:For 40 bucks an hour Id quit law school and start coaching soccer fulltime :lol:
What a noob. Everybody knows ALL lawyers make 140 bucks/hour! And besides, the soccer market is bad now... whereas the law market is unicorns and sunshine.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:And lolmasters are lol because you essentially fail as a human if you can't pull straight As. 1800 pages over the summer is a pittance, heh.
Aren't you essentially insulting many good folks on here that have less than 4.0 grad GPA's? Besides, masters are not all equal. I don't expect people with CS/Engineering masters to pull straight A's, since not most get A's in the same courses (masters courses are just more in-depth).

I really think I could have done 30 credits a semester and gotten straight A's in UG while working full-time and have some time for my kids. I feel like the vigor of an American education is very much lacking. I would be honest to say I don't know what to expect in law school, but if it just involves reading dry, technical cases and opinions, grasping the essential ideas and applying them, I think I got a step up after reading/writing/dealing with technical writing for the last 15 years. I also read a lot of contracts, agreements and policies in my line of work, so I should be ok.
Your work ethic has me in awe.
It has me in disbelief. It's not realistic for almost anyone to pull that schedule. If it works for you, good for you, you get a gold star. Now, back to Planet Earth...

Four hours a week coaching on Fridays and Saturdays is totally doable. Thursday nights, I wouldn't recommend. Good luck.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:50 pm

revolution724 wrote:
It has me in disbelief. It's not realistic for almost anyone to pull that schedule. If it works for you, good for you, you get a gold star. Now, back to Planet Earth...

Four hours a week coaching on Fridays and Saturdays is totally doable. Thursday nights, I wouldn't recommend. Good luck.
Why not Thursday nights? Most law schools that I'm familiar with have light classloads on Fridays, and all three of the schools I visited (including the one I'm currently attending) have Bar Review (or some variation of going to the bars) on Thursdays. I'd be willing to bet that across the country, Friday is typically the lightest day, making Thursday the lightest, most laid back night. A few hours of coaching on a Thursday is not going to make a dent in one's ability to do well.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
revolution724 wrote:

Why not Thursday nights? Most law schools that I'm familiar with have light classloads on Fridays, and all three of the schools I visited (including the one I'm currently attending) have Bar Review (or some variation of going to the bars) on Thursdays.
Let me put it this way: I am one of the less obsessive students I know, and I wouldn't want to lose two weeknights of homework time plus part of a weekend. YMMV.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”