Easy part-time job for 1L - good or bad idea (40$/hr)?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

4 hours of coaching a week to pay rent out of pocket?

Yes, coach!
89%
No, don't coach!
11%

Total votes: 114

Patriot1208

Re: Easy part-time job for 1L - good or bad idea (40$/hr)?

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:36 pm

jayn3 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Furthermore, I'm good at what I do so the chances of a parent being disgruntled is non existent.

my friend is also good at what he does -- he played for a great team in undergrad. most of the parents' issue with him was that he was under thirty.

not trying to dissuade you, just warning you of one particularly bad experience i saw unfold. if it works out, it sounds like it'll be a great deal for you. so good luck =)

Seems like he is more of a trainer and less of a coach. All through my time in middle school and high school I had specialized trainers for certain things come in with the team. Keeper coaches, skills coaches, conditioning coaches, etc. And none of these coaches ever had any contact with parents. He should be completely fine.

cahesu

Postby cahesu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:37 pm

I voted go for it. This sounds like a lot of fun!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 pm

I just got word that they'd be interested in having me do an additional session on Thursday night from 5:30-7. I'd get 80$ for my time. I'm thinking of passing on this one though because its during the week. I mean, I only have one class on Friday at noon though. Thoughts on that? I'm kinda iffy about this one.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:54 am

Stick to the original deal imo.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:38 am

Why don't you stick with the original plan for the first semester and if you see you can handle the couple of extra hours, go for it. Sometimes mo money =/= mo problems.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:11 pm

I worked full-time while doing UG at 150% full-time load. I am doing a masters full-time while working full-time. I will be working at least 20 hours in law school. I never had any problems. Some people can excel at it, some people can't. If you find yourself stressed or pressured, quit. If not, profit.

You are going to find answers from both extremes and everything in between on the Internet. This isn't chance at admission sort of question where statistical norms can be observed. It is a highly personalized question, and only you can answer it.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:I worked full-time while doing UG at 150% full-time load. I am doing a masters full-time while working full-time. I will be working at least 20 hours in law school. I never had any problems. Some people can excel at it, some people can't. If you find yourself stressed or pressured, quit. If not, profit.

You are going to find answers from both extremes and everything in between on the Internet. This isn't chance at admission sort of question where statistical norms can be observed. It is a highly personalized question, and only you can answer it.

Just so you know, your law school may not allow you to work at all during 1L, and 20 hours is the ABA max, so "at least 20" isn't right - unless you're going to be part time, anyway.

That said, don't assume that because you were able to work a lot during undergrad and your lolmasters, that you'll be OK working 20 hours a week during 1L. It isn't worth the money, generally - if working results in even 1 grade being 1/2 letter grade lower, any money you made is more than overpowered by lost opportunities.

That said, 20 hours =/= 4-5. 4-5 should be manageable for anyone, particularly if it is a stress-relief job that pays well.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:45 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Just so you know, your law school may not allow you to work at all during 1L, and 20 hours is the ABA max, so "at least 20" isn't right - unless you're going to be part time, anyway.

That said, don't assume that because you were able to work a lot during undergrad and your lolmasters, that you'll be OK working 20 hours a week during 1L. It isn't worth the money, generally - if working results in even 1 grade being 1/2 letter grade lower, any money you made is more than overpowered by lost opportunities.

That said, 20 hours =/= 4-5. 4-5 should be manageable for anyone, particularly if it is a stress-relief job that pays well.

I don't get paid by the hour, it's project based. I have enough time/energy to do 3 lolmasters concurrently. Why are masters so lol anyway? the summer reading for a fall class is 1800 pages long...

I don't intend on doing big law, so your assumption is flawed.

And how do you know it isn't worth the money? It's more than $40/hr and it is very simple for me (after doing it for this many years).

My point is, it depend on the personal situation - I can do my work pretty much watching TV because I have become so good and so fluent with it, it is not going to detract from my studies. Unless you can't find 20 hours a week that you are NOT studying that you can spend doing something else, then you can't say it is going to be negative for me to spend on doing my work.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:53 pm

You'll notice that I said "don't assume" and "generally" - I'm just trying to be helpful. I knew a lot of people in similar circumstances who got really burned.

And I don't care what legal job you're intending to do, every part of a grade matters.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:03 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:You'll notice that I said "don't assume" and "generally" - I'm just trying to be helpful. I knew a lot of people in similar circumstances who got really burned.

And I don't care what legal job you're intending to do, every part of a grade matters.

I intend to practice on my own while running my own consulting firm (continue doing what I would be doing in law school). The reason I am going to law school is to extend my expertise into the legal realm and to be able to offer legal services to my industry. So the name of the school is absolutely more important that grades. My clients will see my diploma, not my transcript. In the case that I have to work a bit before hanging out my own shingles, I prepare to dazzle them with my non-legal resume, or work as a corp. counsel in my field.

It is important to give young people warnings on potential pitfalls (trust me, I have kids), but you also don't want them to scare them so much that they are wasting potentials. Like I said, it is personal situation, OP would have to gauge his/her own abilities. Forum is going to less helpful on this particular question.

Lastly, someone with a stellar playing resume as an athlete should know how to set priority, gauge performance, and work hard, or they wouldn't have succeeded as a player. My competition background taught me these lessons, and I expect OP to know them as well.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:08 pm

Yeah, you're right, it's always a personal decision. Just make sure you don't run in to the ABA's limits - if they catch you going over the 20, you won't pass C&F. If they suspect you went over the 20, the burden's on you to prove you didn't. It's rough. And again, some schools don't let you work at all, though I assume you've already checked on your school's policy.

And lolmasters are lol because you essentially fail as a human if you can't pull straight As. 1800 pages over the summer is a pittance, heh.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:27 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:And lolmasters are lol because you essentially fail as a human if you can't pull straight As. 1800 pages over the summer is a pittance, heh.

Aren't you essentially insulting many good folks on here that have less than 4.0 grad GPA's? Besides, masters are not all equal. I don't expect people with CS/Engineering masters to pull straight A's, since not most get A's in the same courses (masters courses are just more in-depth).

I really think I could have done 30 credits a semester and gotten straight A's in UG while working full-time and have some time for my kids. I feel like the vigor of an American education is very much lacking. I would be honest to say I don't know what to expect in law school, but if it just involves reading dry, technical cases and opinions, grasping the essential ideas and applying them, I think I got a step up after reading/writing/dealing with technical writing for the last 15 years. I also read a lot of contracts, agreements and policies in my line of work, so I should be ok.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Would do this in a heartbeat. Good luck in your first-year studies.

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:And lolmasters are lol because you essentially fail as a human if you can't pull straight As. 1800 pages over the summer is a pittance, heh.

I really think I could have done 30 credits a semester and gotten straight A's in UG while working full-time and have some time for my kids. I feel like the vigor of an American education is very much lacking.

Don't blame the American education system in general for your choice of a major...it's hard to make an easy courseload difficult without arbitrarily difficult grading systems

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:14 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:Don't blame the American education system in general for your choice of a major...it's hard to make an easy courseload difficult without arbitrarily difficult grading systems

You call computer science easy? My classmates don't think so. I also took a load of advanced and math classes.

Where I came from we went to school 6 days a week and had about 3-4 hours of homework a day starting in first grade... My kids' education is a joke IMHO. They don't have homework for the weekend :roll:

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Aren't you essentially insulting many good folks on here that have less than 4.0 grad GPA's? Besides, masters are not all equal. I don't expect people with CS/Engineering masters to pull straight A's, since not most get A's in the same courses (masters courses are just more in-depth).

I really think I could have done 30 credits a semester and gotten straight A's in UG while working full-time and have some time for my kids. I feel like the vigor of an American education is very much lacking. I would be honest to say I don't know what to expect in law school, but if it just involves reading dry, technical cases and opinions, grasping the essential ideas and applying them, I think I got a step up after reading/writing/dealing with technical writing for the last 15 years. I also read a lot of contracts, agreements and policies in my line of work, so I should be ok.

Your work ethic has me in awe.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:10 pm

ITT: r6 philly looks for people to stroke his already overinflated ego

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:41 pm

ITT: The pride before the fall.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:ITT: r6 philly looks for people to stroke his already overinflated ego

Damn, I took the bait like a hungry fish too.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:ITT: r6 philly looks for people to stroke his already overinflated ego

Thank you for helping!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:29 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:

Bait? Ego? I suppose Patriot1208's PS opens with "I am just an average applicant who doesn't do anything better than others..." We are all thinking of ways to sell ourselves over others to the top law schools and someone come on here and accuse others having overinflated egos?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

Bait? Ego? I suppose Patriot1208's PS opens with "I am just an average applicant who doesn't do anything better than others..." We are all thinking of ways to sell ourselves over others to the top law schools and someone come on here and accuse others having overinflated egos?

Ya, you must be right, personal statements definitely equal an unrealistic and overabundance of "bragging" on an internet forum to try and shrink your clearly large insecurities.

stayingclassy

Postby stayingclassy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:14 pm

Working a few hours a week at a job that will pay well and relieve stress is a great idea. This isn't a bigger time commitment than playing intramural sports at law school, which many of your classmates will probably do. Except they won't get paid. Go for it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:ITT: The pride before the fall.

One can hope.

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:29 am

For 40 bucks an hour Id quit law school and start coaching soccer fulltime :lol:

Return to “Law School FAQ”