Orientation in a few days. Should I shave my goatee? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Re: Orientation in a few days. Should I shave my goatee?

Post by Kurt Cobain » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:My goatee is close to two inches long. I don't want to shave it for orientation. Will this make a bad impression on someone? I'm not sure whom, but I'm assuming someone to be on the safe side.
If you like it, keep it. What's the point of living if you can't be yourself? Plenty of lawyers have goatees. Rock on dude.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:21 pm

shaving a goatee is always, ALWAYS credited.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:22 pm

jdhonest wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
nematoad wrote:my humble opinion. shave that shit. people are gonna think of you in a certain light off the bat.... you're gonna be the guy with the goatee. it sucks but its the reality of our species. grow it back right after, by then people will have their first impression of you set. personally i grow and shave my beard in cycles cause i get sick of looking at the same face in the mirror for years on end. a freshly shaven face could be refreshing... or in the case of an unfortunate few, make you realize how ugly you are.
Lose all the facial hair. It's unprofessional from a old-school, conservative viewpoint. You should get used to not having facial hair. If you need to eliminate a double chin, get a tan, clear up your complexion, etc., now is the time to get started. In particular, features like a two-inch goatee, beard, fu manchu, or mutton chops will not help your career.
Bullshit.

As a 1L, I went on 3 interviews (including big law) with facial hair. I have it because I look and feel better with it. I agree that certain features aren't professional, but a neatly trimmed beard and mustache are nothing to worry about, assuming you don't look life a pedophile or weirdo (i.e. don't rock the fu manchu or soul patch).

As for the people who will judge you off the bat, I say f_ck em'. You probably don't want to be friends with judgmental little pricks like that anyway. Do you really want friends who'll paint you in a negative light because you have facial hair?!? They sound like a BLAST to spend your free time with...

(side rant, it's a good sign at how screwed up our justice system is when aspiring judges and lawyers judge people based on physical appearance)

You know what works for you, so careful before listening to these clowns.
+9999999999

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:35 pm

1ferret! wrote:OP - keep in mind that your audience here is largely comprised of relatively young kids, inexperienced in the workplace, with heads full of ideas of individuality gained through years of beer bongs and liberal arts. In the workplace, you are trying to impress yourself upon the sensibilities of someone else, doesn't matter how good you feel about it. With orientation however and law school in general you should judge for yourself how you want these people to perceive you. Ever gonna ask a professor for a recommendation or a job? A possibility that your peers in school are gonna be able to help you out in that respect in the future? Think about that when making your decision, and decide accordingly.
Exactly. It doesn't matter what style of clothing or facial hair you think looks coolest on you. For instance, I like the way I look in jeans, but I won't be wearing jeans on an interview because I believe it will reflect negatively on my professionalism. The same can be said for facial hair. There are a lot of styles of suits that I would wear if making an impression wasn't an issue, but for an interview, I will be wearing a suit that won't be off-putting to middle-aged white men. It's just another way of signaling. You can buck the system if you choose, but I'll be going with the safer options. If you want to grow long facial hair and wear Birkenstocks, you will be limiting your choices of employment.

And bilbobaggins, you bolded the wrong poster's comment. I was the one whose feelings you hurt.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:38 pm

jmhendri wrote:shaving a goatee is always, ALWAYS credited.
+1000. Could be my personal distaste for them creeping through, but I say shave that shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:48 pm

traehekat wrote:I haven't shaved in weeks. Orientation starts in 5 days. I don't really plan on shaving.

Note: I lack any sore of "grizzly gene" that may exist, so it actually isn't ridiculous looking. Certainly not 2 inches...
I def think you should keep growing it...Grizzly Adams style!

I had to be relatively clean-looking for the past 4 years so for the fall I'm growing my hair out, dammit!. I want Jesus hair!

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Slimpee wrote:
traehekat wrote:I haven't shaved in weeks. Orientation starts in 5 days. I don't really plan on shaving.

Note: I lack any sore of "grizzly gene" that may exist, so it actually isn't ridiculous looking. Certainly not 2 inches...
I def think you should keep growing it...Grizzly Adams style!

I had to be relatively clean-looking for the past 4 years so for the fall I'm growing my hair out, dammit!. I want Jesus hair!
Good luck getting laid unless you're a Native American or are in a band on the side. I kid, enjoy your newfound freedom!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:52 pm

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:52 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
jmhendri wrote:shaving a goatee is always, ALWAYS credited.
+1000. Could be my personal distaste for them creeping through, but I say shave that shit.
Not all facial hair is bad, but the goatee is like a physical manifestation of asshat David Navarro style hipster douchedom. Or the Hollywood "I'm trying too hard to look like I don't give a fuck about showering and shaving, although I take the time to keep this filthy patch of pubes trimmed only on my chin" thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 pm

1ferret! wrote:OP - keep in mind that your audience here is largely comprised of relatively young kids, inexperienced in the workplace, with heads full of ideas of individuality gained through years of beer bongs and liberal arts. In the workplace, you are trying to impress yourself upon the sensibilities of someone else, doesn't matter how good you feel about it. With orientation however and law school in general you should judge for yourself how you want these people to perceive you. Ever gonna ask a professor for a recommendation or a job? A possibility that your peers in school are gonna be able to help you out in that respect in the future? Think about that when making your decision, and decide accordingly.
Er.... if I'm reading your post right, either 1) you're kind of a prick or 2) you're one of those young, inexperienced kids you speak of.

The more you think you're going to "network" etc in law school, the less successful you will be at it. Be yourself, no one cares if you have a goatee or not. For an interview, I say conservative is best. Seriously though, for orientation, do whatever you want. It doesn't matter in the slightest - profs/students won't judge you based on facial hair....

Blindmelon's guide to succeeding in law school:
1) Don't be a prick and say things like you are "networking with peers" - just make friends, they will help you out.
2) Be nice to people. Reputations for being a braggard, a social climber, etc. go around a lot and will not be a good thing down the road.
3) Help others. Simply as that. Law school is competitive, but don't be known as the guy who doesn't help others out. Help others, and people will help you in return.
4) Don't try to be something different because you're in law school. Spotting a phony is easy (see #1) and people are more likable when they're normal and down to earth. Even to profs.

/rant.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm

The more you think you're going to "network" etc in law school, the less successful you will be at it. Be yourself, no one cares if you have a goatee or not. For an interview, I say conservative is best. Seriously though, for orientation, do whatever you want. It doesn't matter in the slightest - profs/students won't judge you based on facial hair....
While the above facial hair judgment free zone may seem nice, I can tell you ladies right now that no one likes your upper lip peach fuzz.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:46 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:
While the above facial hair judgment free zone may seem nice, I can tell you ladies right now that no one likes your upper lip peach fuzz.
Now that we've settled the facial hair issue, how about below-the-belt? How much trimming is necessary for orientation?

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:48 pm

"Hey OP, it's been a while! Well, I'd love to help you find some work, and you sure seem like a smart and talented guy, but there's just one thing. Do you remember orientation, when you had that whole goatee thing going..."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:07 pm

chrisokc wrote:
rockstar4488 wrote:
Now that we've settled the facial hair issue, how about below-the-belt? How much trimming is necessary for orientation?
Depends on what school he's going to.

School with laid-back liberal chicks-don't worry.

Uptight cosmo bitches-get out the clippers.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:13 pm

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Er.... if I'm reading your post right, either 1) you're kind of a prick or 2) you're one of those young, inexperienced kids you speak of.

Blindmelon's guide to succeeding in law school:
1) Don't be a prick and say things like you are "networking with peers" - just make friends, they will help you out.
2) Be nice to people. Reputations for being a braggard, a social climber, etc. go around a lot and will not be a good thing down the road.
3) Help others. Simply as that. Law school is competitive, but don't be known as the guy who doesn't help others out. Help others, and people will help you in return.
4) Don't try to be something different because you're in law school. Spotting a phony is easy (see #1) and people are more likable when they're normal and down to earth. Even to profs.

/rant.
Well,
#1 I am kind of a prick, but a prick who recognizes something which apparently you give short shrift to: It often matters what other people think of you when you want something from them.
#2 Your 2 & 3 dont follow and have nothing to do with facial hair or the rest of this conversation.
#3 I always rock a goatee, but was encouraging the OP to think about things in a frame of mind he might not have otherwise.
#4 You are a fat little girl in a bee costume.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 pm

I think it depends on what school and in which area of the country. For instance here in socal a goatee (just the bottom, if you have the tache too then its a whole different story) is generally reserved for people with lifted trucks who try to look super hard at the bars. I'm sure this is completely different in other parts of the country but you should really consider the school and the area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:12 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
I think it's a matter of how trimmed she is. So..if you're demanding a girl be well-trimmed, you should be too. If you're laid back about her, she should be laid back about you.
right this is what I was getting at.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:28 pm

paratactical wrote:Who cares what profs and employers think? You should be concerned that a goatee will scare off the womenfolk.
I don't want to hook up with female law students. And I will definitely not care about what women think about me unless they're hiring or responsible for my pay check.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:30 pm

FlanAl wrote:I think it depends on what school and in which area of the country. For instance here in socal a goatee (just the bottom, if you have the tache too then its a whole different story) is generally reserved for people with lifted trucks who try to look super hard at the bars. I'm sure this is completely different in other parts of the country but you should really consider the school and the area.
I drive a Jeep Wrangler with 30 inch tires and a bitchin Magna Flow Exhaust.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
paratactical wrote:Who cares what profs and employers think? You should be concerned that a goatee will scare off the womenfolk.
I don't want to hook up with female law students. And I will definitely not care about what women think about me unless they're hiring or responsible for my pay check.

womenfolk =/= only female law students...hth

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 pm

jdhonest wrote:
"Hey OP, it's been a while! Well, I'd love to help you find some work, and you sure seem like a smart and talented guy, but there's just one thing. Do you remember orientation, when you had that whole goatee thing going..."
I see your point. :|

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:32 pm

jmhendri wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:

womenfolk =/= only female law students...hth
I assumed that's what she meant.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:33 pm

jmhendri wrote: womenfolk =/= only female law students...hth
+1. Also, facial hair looks bad on 95%+ of guys, especially if you're going for the professional/business look. Being a straight male, I guess I'm not the best judge, but I feel like most girls would agree with me. I've done the goatee thing a few times (and the full beard), but I think TCR is usually clean shaven.

But if you like the goatee and you look good with it, knock yourself out.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey Monkey-Man: did you end up getting pulled into Southwestern?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”