Joint-degree options for Sociology major

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
jtb00711

Joint-degree options for Sociology major

Postby jtb00711 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:08 pm

What programs in the Midwest or in the South have joint JD/M.A in Sociology or Criminology?? The only two I've found so far are IU-Bloomington and Saint Louis. I really want to go to law school, but I also would enjoy teaching Criminology or Paralegal classes at the university level. Thanks in advance.

merichard87

Re: Joint-degree options for Sociology major

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Do you want to be a lawyer or do you want to teach sociology/criminology?

jtb00711

Postby jtb00711 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:49 pm

I want to do both. Just not sure which to put first. Either teach and have the option to work some criminal cases, or be an attorney and teach a couple of classes for some extra $$.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:06 am

Maybe a JD/MSW (masters of social work)- it's what I'm looking into. Schools I know that have them- Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Loyola Chicago, BC. There's more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

You could take the more macro approach to social work- less clinical stuff and more general pathology and what not

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:54 am

i'd recommend going the grad school route first before putting yourself in massive law school debt. you might find out you like academia, or you might realize you hate it and never want to teach a class again. either way, it will be incredibly helpful to you and cost less (both monetarily and emotionally) than a JD would.

for the record, it doesn't seem like adcomms look negatively at people who explore other career paths first.

Return to “Law School FAQ”