Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby rayiner » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Hm. You say you didn't participate in class discussions...are you shy or a slow thinker? Can you do word or math puzzles on your own? Make sure you identify the issue correctly before you act on it.


This. Do you think slowly or do you just not give a shit about social/political issue? The latter will not hold you back at all, except maybe (maybe) in con law. The former would be a problem, because law exams are extremely time-sensitive.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby Bosque » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:44 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Bosque wrote:
That still sounds awkward.

But the problem is, desist does not work with a future action. It refers to an action that is currently happening which the subject is going to stop doing. So it would have made sense if the OP was currently enrolled in law school and was thinking of dropping out. But since the OP is not actually attending right now (just thinking of it), desist is the wrong word. Abstain would work better, but what you really want is "deviate from the law" or "pick an alternative profession." Or if you are set on using desist, it should be "desist in applying", not going.


I actually think abstain or refrain works just fine instead of the longer phrases, though I agree that desist doesn't work for future actions.


I think refrain works well. You are right, I should have just suggested it instead of the phrases. Abstain works too, but I still think it sounds awkward. Nothing wrong with it technically, it is just not the word I would use.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby Bosque » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:46 pm

rayiner wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Hm. You say you didn't participate in class discussions...are you shy or a slow thinker? Can you do word or math puzzles on your own? Make sure you identify the issue correctly before you act on it.


This. Do you think slowly or do you just not give a shit about social/political issue? The latter will not hold you back at all, except maybe (maybe) in con law. The former would be a problem, because law exams are extremely time-sensitive.


Even then, not all of con law is social or political issues. You can get into some fun technical arguments when you start talking about the seperation of powers, the comerce clause, or the administrative state. Of course, if you want you can draw all of those back to social or political issues, but you don't have to.

BeautifulSW
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:55 pm

The law has plenty of room for careful, deliberate thinkers. Somebody has to draft those re-insurance policies. Somebody has to review those SEC filings. Shooting "from the lip" as we used to say is always dangerous and only really necessary in the courtroom. There's a lot to be said for keeping quiet in the heat of the moment. The OP might find that he or she does better in law school than many "flashy" classmates.

JustBelieve
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby JustBelieve » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 am

lag88 wrote:I recently graduated from a UC with a BA in Psych and Criminology. My gpa is 3.4 and I have yet to take the LSAT... For the past 3 years, I have interned and worked at about 3 different law offices. I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering....I've done well in all of my classes about law (Con Law, Family Law, Soc. of Law, etc....although I know these classes probably don't compare to the classes in law school). However, something I've noticed about myself is that I'm not very quick on my feet. I've never really been able to participate in class discussions because I never felt as knowledgeable or as quick of a thinker as my fellow classmates. I've always been intimidated by how much my classmates have known about legal issues and politics, and I've realized that while I am book smart, I find it hard to follow political issues and legal debates.

Based on this, would you say that the legal field is not a good fit for me? I really enjoy learning about law, but am scared that law school will be way to much for me handle, given that I really don't know anything about the workings of the legal system.


Do not worry about it! As long as its meant for you to go to law school, you will go. Your thinking may be slow but you should start now with improving it. Spend time doing many analytical problems and material that challenges your logic. Once you practice you will only get better at it. It may seem discouraging at first but NEVER let anything prohibit you from doing what you want to do.

Practice, practice, practice!!!......Good luck, you'll do fine.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests