Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lag88
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby lag88 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:12 pm

I recently graduated from a UC with a BA in Psych and Criminology. My gpa is 3.4 and I have yet to take the LSAT... For the past 3 years, I have interned and worked at about 3 different law offices. I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering....I've done well in all of my classes about law (Con Law, Family Law, Soc. of Law, etc....although I know these classes probably don't compare to the classes in law school). However, something I've noticed about myself is that I'm not very quick on my feet. I've never really been able to participate in class discussions because I never felt as knowledgeable or as quick of a thinker as my fellow classmates. I've always been intimidated by how much my classmates have known about legal issues and politics, and I've realized that while I am book smart, I find it hard to follow political issues and legal debates.

Based on this, would you say that the legal field is not a good fit for me? I really enjoy learning about law, but am scared that law school will be way to much for me handle, given that I really don't know anything about the workings of the legal system.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby Bosque » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:15 pm

lag88 wrote:I recently graduated from a UC with a BA in Psych and Criminology. My gpa is 3.4 and I have yet to take the LSAT... For the past 3 years, I have interned and worked at about 3 different law offices. I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering....I've done well in all of my classes about law (Con Law, Family Law, Soc. of Law, etc....although I know these classes probably don't compare to the classes in law school). However, something I've noticed about myself is that I'm not very quick on my feet. I've never really been able to participate in class discussions because I never felt as knowledgeable or as quick of a thinker as my fellow classmates. I've always been intimidated by how much my classmates have known about legal issues and politics, and I've realized that while I am book smart, I find it hard to follow political issues and legal debates.

Based on this, would you say that the legal field is not a good fit for me? I really enjoy learning about law, but am scared that law school will be way to much for me handle, given that I really don't know anything about the workings of the legal system.



No. The legal field is not a good fit based on this:

I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm

You might have difficulty doing well on law school exams since quick analysis is required while memorization & regurgitation will result in very poor grades.

User avatar
vespertiliovir
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:52 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby vespertiliovir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:22 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You might have difficulty doing well on law school exams

You'll probably have trouble on the LSAT as well.
Last edited by vespertiliovir on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby Renzo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:24 pm

You might make a good lawyer, as careful consideration of a matter is a virtue. Unfortunately, you may have real trouble both in law school and on the LSAT, as both are considerably time-pressured.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Hm. You say you didn't participate in class discussions...are you shy or a slow thinker? Can you do word or math puzzles on your own? Make sure you identify the issue correctly before you act on it.

Also, if you're going to law school by process of elimination, maybe you should take some time working in a legal setting to make sure it's for you. My friends who went to law school for reasons other than really wanting to be a lawyer are all miserable.

User avatar
biggamejames
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby biggamejames » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:26 pm

I think you're fine. In my experience, 90% of law school learning happens outside of the classroom (and therefore on your own time) anyway. While it might be tough for you to justify an evidentiary objection on the fly in a courtroom, something like probate or contract law might really lend itself to your style of thought.

As far as having no particular devotion to law as a career - well, I'm not as anal about this as many posters are. I guess it depends on what your options are. You've got to get some kind of job, right? Even if you don't love the law, if there isn't any other job you DO love, it might be a good move for you.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby 1ferret! » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Renzo wrote:You might make a good lawyer, as careful consideration of a matter is a virtue. Unfortunately, you may have real trouble both in law school and on the LSAT, as both are considerably time-pressured.


this.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby jmhendri » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:19 pm

1ferret! wrote:
Renzo wrote:You might make a good lawyer, as careful consideration of a matter is a virtue. Unfortunately, you may have real trouble both in law school and on the LSAT, as both are considerably time-pressured.


this.


eh, quick thinking is important in both face to face interaction with opposing parties and with judges.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby legalease9 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Bosque wrote:
lag88 wrote:I recently graduated from a UC with a BA in Psych and Criminology. My gpa is 3.4 and I have yet to take the LSAT... For the past 3 years, I have interned and worked at about 3 different law offices. I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering....I've done well in all of my classes about law (Con Law, Family Law, Soc. of Law, etc....although I know these classes probably don't compare to the classes in law school). However, something I've noticed about myself is that I'm not very quick on my feet. I've never really been able to participate in class discussions because I never felt as knowledgeable or as quick of a thinker as my fellow classmates. I've always been intimidated by how much my classmates have known about legal issues and politics, and I've realized that while I am book smart, I find it hard to follow political issues and legal debates.

Based on this, would you say that the legal field is not a good fit for me? I really enjoy learning about law, but am scared that law school will be way to much for me handle, given that I really don't know anything about the workings of the legal system.



No. The legal field is not a good fit based on this:

I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering


TCR

Don't worry about the thinking issues. Thats not important. What is important is that you only want to go to LS because you want a grad degree and don't know what else to do. This is a very bad reason to go to law school. You will probably not do well, but it will be because you have limited interest in it, not because you can't think.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby reverendt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:36 pm

jmhendri wrote:
1ferret! wrote:
Renzo wrote:You might make a good lawyer, as careful consideration of a matter is a virtue. Unfortunately, you may have real trouble both in law school and on the LSAT, as both are considerably time-pressured.


this.


eh, quick thinking is important in both face to face interaction with opposing parties and with judges.


transactional law does not require that kind of quick thinking. OP should probably not be a litigator.

OP....take the LSAT and see how it goes....if you can think quick enough to do well, you should be able to handle law school exams.
As far as quick thinking in class....that's not what you're graded on.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:43 pm

No offense, bro, but you're stupid

lag88
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby lag88 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 pm

kittenmittons wrote:No offense, bro, but you're stupid




.....was that really necessary

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby DeSimone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:15 pm

lag88 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:No offense, bro, but you're stupid




.....was that really necessary

harsh, but the op had to have expected this.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby Bumi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 am

lag88 wrote:I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering....


Knowing you're not interested in being a doctor: sure. I could see that. Many types of doctor jobs are similar, and certainly med school isn't for anyone.

Knowing you're not interested in engineering: makes sense. Various kinds of engineering are pretty different, but the fundamentals are generally the same. Thermodynamics is no picnic. I know, I have an engineering degree.

Knowing you're not interested in business: how the hell can you even know this? At the company where I work now, there are hundreds of different kinds of jobs - and we're only in a few industries. In other industries, many of those jobs would be different. Plus, the size of the company has a major impact on the kind of job. Not to mention the differences between private, public, and non-profit companies. And more than all of that, it really just comes down to your boss - a great boss can make a great job out of almost anything. I could work my entire life in business and never feel that I know a tiny snowball of the massive blizzard that is business jobs.

I'm starting to think that Northwestern is the only sane law school of the bunch.

User avatar
biggamejames
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby biggamejames » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:17 am

legalease9 wrote:What is important is that you only want to go to LS because you want a grad degree and don't know what else to do. This is a very bad reason to go to law school.

Not if he really doesn't have other options.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:51 am

lag88 wrote:I recently graduated from a UC with a BA in Psych and Criminology. My gpa is 3.4 and I have yet to take the LSAT... For the past 3 years, I have interned and worked at about 3 different law offices. I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering....I've done well in all of my classes about law (Con Law, Family Law, Soc. of Law, etc....although I know these classes probably don't compare to the classes in law school). However, something I've noticed about myself is that I'm not very quick on my feet. I've never really been able to participate in class discussions because I never felt as knowledgeable or as quick of a thinker as my fellow classmates. I've always been intimidated by how much my classmates have known about legal issues and politics, and I've realized that while I am book smart, I find it hard to follow political issues and legal debates.

Based on this, would you say that the legal field is not a good fit for me? I really enjoy learning about law, but am scared that law school will be way to much for me handle, given that I really don't know anything about the workings of the legal system.


OP, in my opinion formulating and articulating opinions on complex subject matter quickly is a a question of practice, not of natural intellectual ability. I think that familiarity breeds confidence, and hesitation to just say the first thing on one's mind is a sign that one's eventual contribution to a discussion might just be of higher quality.

As for following political issues and legal debates: not everyone has the natural desire to comb The New York Times daily or The Economist weekly, or any number of blogs. Some people are just a little more attracted to social media than others. That's okay, and it doesn't mean that you're less intellectually capable, just that that isn't part of your interests. However, if you view being an informed person as part of your work, and make it a point to read a major news source daily (no, you don't need to be one of those people that spends all their free time trolling blogs that comment on the blogs that comment on the blogs that comment on the news) and maybe occasionally relevant analysis i.e. the economist, you'll find these topics less daunting. Understand knowing about current events to be part of what will get you a good job in any profession. People that keep up are valuable, and after the first few splashes around in a daily where you're going "who's this upper level official in command of the forces in Afghanistan?" or whatever, you'll start getting the hang of it. Understanding current events is more a question of consistency and diligence than they are of natural desire to know everything that's going on in the world, though that, for some people, is more than enough.

That said, don't go to law school just because you don't want to go to business school or med school. You mentioned that you like learning about the law. Since you work in a law office, I'd ask an associate or someone to tell you a little about what the do and what they think the benefits and drawbacks of the job are. But don't desist from going just because you don't easily run off your mouth in class. that can be a point in your favor.

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am

neimanmarxist wrote:
lag88 wrote:I recently graduated from a UC with a BA in Psych and Criminology. My gpa is 3.4 and I have yet to take the LSAT... For the past 3 years, I have interned and worked at about 3 different law offices. I've always been interested in a career in law, but more because I'm NOT interested in med school, business or engineering....I've done well in all of my classes about law (Con Law, Family Law, Soc. of Law, etc....although I know these classes probably don't compare to the classes in law school). However, something I've noticed about myself is that I'm not very quick on my feet. I've never really been able to participate in class discussions because I never felt as knowledgeable or as quick of a thinker as my fellow classmates. I've always been intimidated by how much my classmates have known about legal issues and politics, and I've realized that while I am book smart, I find it hard to follow political issues and legal debates.

Based on this, would you say that the legal field is not a good fit for me? I really enjoy learning about law, but am scared that law school will be way to much for me handle, given that I really don't know anything about the workings of the legal system.


OP, in my opinion formulating and articulating opinions on complex subject matter quickly is a a question of practice, not of natural intellectual ability. I think that familiarity breeds confidence, and hesitation to just say the first thing on one's mind is a sign that one's eventual contribution to a discussion might just be of higher quality.

As for following political issues and legal debates: not everyone has the natural desire to comb The New York Times daily or The Economist weekly, or any number of blogs. Some people are just a little more attracted to social media than others. That's okay, and it doesn't mean that you're less intellectually capable, just that that isn't part of your interests. However, if you view being an informed person as part of your work, and make it a point to read a major news source daily (no, you don't need to be one of those people that spends all their free time trolling blogs that comment on the blogs that comment on the blogs that comment on the news) and maybe occasionally relevant analysis i.e. the economist, you'll find these topics less daunting. Understand knowing about current events to be part of what will get you a good job in any profession. People that keep up are valuable, and after the first few splashes around in a daily where you're going "who's this upper level official in command of the forces in Afghanistan?" or whatever, you'll start getting the hang of it. Understanding current events is more a question of consistency and diligence than they are of natural desire to know everything that's going on in the world, though that, for some people, is more than enough.

That said, don't go to law school just because you don't want to go to business school or med school. You mentioned that you like learning about the law. Since you work in a law office, I'd ask an associate or someone to tell you a little about what the do and what they think the benefits and drawbacks of the job are. But don't desist from going just because you don't easily run off your mouth in class. that can be a point in your favor.

Also of questionable intelligence. Who uses desist like that anyway?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:18 am

1. Take the lsat, if you do good and want to go to law school, go. I think the lsat is a good measure of quickness while factoring out shyness. (i have this issue) Be careful, don't confuse people being quick, with people saying the first thing that comes to their head whether or not it makes sense.
2. I think most careers in law are more calculated than quick. At least from my limited knowledge.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:27 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Also of questionable intelligence. Who uses desist like that anyway?


desist (dɪˈzɪst)

— vb (often foll by from )
to cease, as from an action; stop or abstain.

hth

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:29 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Also of questionable intelligence. Who uses desist like that anyway?


desist (dɪˈzɪst)

— vb (often foll by from )
to cease, as from an action; stop or abstain.

hth

Insert any of those synonyms in that sentence and tell me it sounds good. And don't hth me like you know me bro.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Also of questionable intelligence. Who uses desist like that anyway?


desist (dɪˈzɪst)

— vb (often foll by from )
to cease, as from an action; stop or abstain.

hth

Insert any of those synonyms in that sentence and tell me it sounds good. And don't hth me like you know me bro.


But don't abstain from going just because you don't easily run off your mouth in class.

hth *air kiss*

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby Bosque » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:16 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Also of questionable intelligence. Who uses desist like that anyway?


desist (dɪˈzɪst)

— vb (often foll by from )
to cease, as from an action; stop or abstain.

hth

Insert any of those synonyms in that sentence and tell me it sounds good. And don't hth me like you know me bro.


But don't abstain from going just because you don't easily run off your mouth in class.

hth *air kiss*


That still sounds awkward.

But the problem is, desist does not work with a future action. It refers to an action that is currently happening which the subject is going to stop doing. So it would have made sense if the OP was currently enrolled in law school and was thinking of dropping out. But since the OP is not actually attending right now (just thinking of it), desist is the wrong word. Abstain would work better, but what you really want is "deviate from the law" or "pick an alternative profession." Or if you are set on using desist, it should be "desist in applying", not going.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby merichard87 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Bosque wrote:
That still sounds awkward.

But the problem is, desist does not work with a future action. It refers to an action that is currently happening which the subject is going to stop doing. So it would have made sense if the OP was currently enrolled in law school and was thinking of dropping out. But since the OP is not actually attending right now (just thinking of it), desist is the wrong word. Abstain would work better, but what you really want is "deviate from the law" or "pick an alternative profession." Or if you are set on using desist, it should be "desist in applying", not going.


I concur. But please don't desist on our account. Continue using the word anyway you see fit.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Slow Thinker- Is Law School for Me?

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Bosque wrote:
That still sounds awkward.

But the problem is, desist does not work with a future action. It refers to an action that is currently happening which the subject is going to stop doing. So it would have made sense if the OP was currently enrolled in law school and was thinking of dropping out. But since the OP is not actually attending right now (just thinking of it), desist is the wrong word. Abstain would work better, but what you really want is "deviate from the law" or "pick an alternative profession." Or if you are set on using desist, it should be "desist in applying", not going.


I actually think abstain or refrain works just fine instead of the longer phrases, though I agree that desist doesn't work for future actions.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests