Is Post-Law School Employment Really That Bleak?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
johnnyutah

Re: Is Post-Law School Employment Really That Bleak?

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:46 pm

NoJob wrote:
nealric wrote: But once you miss that, it comes down to developing a specialty and networking. Not everyone has the personality to be a great networker.
Networking. Seriously? That's some of the dumbest shit I have ever heard.

I thought so too, until my unwillingness to do that bullshit made it next to impossible to find a job.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:52 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
NoJob wrote:
nealric wrote: But once you miss that, it comes down to developing a specialty and networking. Not everyone has the personality to be a great networker.
Networking. Seriously? That's some of the dumbest shit I have ever heard.

I thought so too, until my unwillingness to do that bullshit made it next to impossible to find a job.

Good thing I'm Cisco certified.
--ImageRemoved--

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 pm

A word to the wise on networking:

Lawyers are mostly douches. If you want to get on their good side, you also must act like a douche. Do not try to communicate about anything actually substantive. Do not make a joke, even if you are very funny (lawyers do not have senses of humor). DO name drop in obscene and blatant fashion, and DO self-aggrandize. If you follow these rules, you may be able to network your way to a job.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:34 am

johnnyutah wrote:A word to the wise on networking:

Lawyers are mostly douches. If you want to get on their good side, you also must act like a douche. Do not try to communicate about anything actually substantive. Do not make a joke, even if you are very funny (lawyers do not have senses of humor). DO name drop in obscene and blatant fashion, and DO self-aggrandize. If you follow these rules, you may be able to network your way to a job.

I...am...an...F,B,I...agent

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:34 am

Actually, after 2 years of law school I've found that being friendly to everyone, having a beer with whoever I can, and generally coming across as a competent, responsible and uncontroversial person has resulted in a number of my classmates (and not just close friends) offering to try to hook me up with jobs/internships (like in a situation were their boss asks if they know anyone who may be interested....)

Tatiana Mendez

Postby Tatiana Mendez » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:42 pm

reverendt wrote:

Actually, after 2 years of law school I've found that being friendly to everyone, having a beer with whoever I can, and generally coming across as a competent, responsible and uncontroversial person has resulted in a number of my classmates (and not just close friends) offering to try to hook me up with jobs/internships (like in a situation were their boss asks if they know anyone who may be interested....)

This definitely sounds like better advice than being a douche.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Tatiana Mendez wrote:
reverendt wrote:Actually, after 2 years of law school I've found that being friendly to everyone, having a beer with whoever I can, and generally coming across as a competent, responsible and uncontroversial person has resulted in a number of my classmates (and not just close friends) offering to try to hook me up with jobs/internships (like in a situation were their boss asks if they know anyone who may be interested....)

This definitely sounds like better advice than being a douche.

What's higher than being credited? Book award?

TITBAR

Return to “Law School FAQ”