I am going to law school because...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

I am going to law school because

I want to help people
19
7%
I want to defend those who cannot defend themselves
18
6%
I care about the issues of others
22
8%
All of the above
63
22%
I'm greedy and selfish and only care about the money
170
58%
 
Total votes: 292

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:00 pm

gdh wrote:How great would it be to have a class-action infomercial?


That takes all the fun out of chasing the ambulance.

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Models, bottles & blow, baby.


Im gunning for biglaw partner by 28 and horrible cardiac arrest + death by 40.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 am

Matteliszt wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Models, bottles & blow, baby.


Im gunning for biglaw partner by 28 and horrible cardiac arrest + death by 40.

grouchynihilist
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:43 am

Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby 12262010 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:45 am

grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.


so, what else do you suggest we do with our worthless liberal arts degrees?

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 am

grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.


Dude, come outside from your pessimistic shell of a broken, wasted being for just long enough to see that we're fucking joking. Then go back into said shell and don't bother us.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 am

grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.


yeah come on guys! and becoming an entertainer or athletic superstar is still pretty weaksauce...i mean, they aren't as rich as people like bill gates or carlos slim

get it together you hacks

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 am

grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

You're funny.

grouchynihilist
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 am

booyakasha wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.


so, what else do you suggest we do with our worthless liberal arts degrees?



I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.

grouchynihilist
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 am

Always Credited wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.


Dude, come outside from your pessimistic shell of a broken, wasted being for just long enough to see that we're fucking joking. Then go back into said shell and don't bother us.


Even if you're joking, others aren't.

grouchynihilist
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

You're funny.


Yep, nevermind actually. You're all (even the TTT and T2 0Ls) going to become rich. My crystal ball is telling me. Yeah, you're gonna earn at least mid six figures. And you'll live happily ever after, perfectly content, never working too hard.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:59 am

grouchynihilist wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.


so, what else do you suggest we do with our worthless liberal arts degrees?



I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.


So grab a gun, join the Communist revolution, and do something creative about it.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 am

grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

You're funny.


Yep, nevermind actually. You're all (even the TTT and T2 0Ls) going to become rich. My crystal ball is telling me. Yeah, you're gonna earn at least mid six figures. And you'll live happily ever after, perfectly content, never working too hard.


i think a fundamental prob w/ your argument here is that your definition of rich could be entirely diff from someone else's...

...i mean, based on recent census data, top 2% of american households earn a median salary of 250k ish...that'd certainly qualify as 'rich' in many ppl's books (top 2% after all)

sure the top 0.5% (or less) of america is earning millions per yr...that doesnt make the 250kers less rich...just not AS rich haha

there was a great study (or was it a survey?) that i saw a yr ago that had top 5% (or was it top 2%, im getting my #'s mixed up) family income based on # of family members and city...the overall gist that i got, in many large US cities NOT Manhattan or NYC or LA haha, top 5%/2% for a family of 2 was like around 250k

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 am

grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

You're funny.


Yep, nevermind actually. You're all (even the TTT and T2 0Ls) going to become rich. My crystal ball is telling me. Yeah, you're gonna earn at least mid six figures. And you'll live happily ever after, perfectly content, never working too hard.

Who said we assume the rest of our lives will be pieces of cake? I mean, my life will be easy and the money will always be rolling in, but I'm a special case.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby General Tso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 am

I'm greedy and selfish and only care about the money

grouchynihilist
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:17 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

You're funny.


Yep, nevermind actually. You're all (even the TTT and T2 0Ls) going to become rich. My crystal ball is telling me. Yeah, you're gonna earn at least mid six figures. And you'll live happily ever after, perfectly content, never working too hard.

Who said we assume the rest of our lives will be pieces of cake? I mean, my life will be easy and the money will always be rolling in, but I'm a special case.


So if you're a trust fund baby, why slave away at law school ? Just chill or something and not work?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

You're funny.


Yep, nevermind actually. You're all (even the TTT and T2 0Ls) going to become rich. My crystal ball is telling me. Yeah, you're gonna earn at least mid six figures. And you'll live happily ever after, perfectly content, never working too hard.


i think a fundamental prob w/ your argument here is that your definition of rich could be entirely diff from someone else's...

...i mean, based on recent census data, top 2% of american households earn a median salary of 250k ish...that'd certainly qualify as 'rich' in many ppl's books (top 2% after all)

sure the top 0.5% (or less) of america is earning millions per yr...that doesnt make the 250kers less rich...just not AS rich haha

there was a great study (or was it a survey?) that i saw a yr ago that had top 5% (or was it top 2%, im getting my #'s mixed up) family income based on # of family members and city...the overall gist that i got, in many large US cities NOT Manhattan or NYC or LA haha, top 5%/2% for a family of 2 was like around 250k



Only top 2% make over 250k a year???? I figured it would be something around 10-15%. Jeeez!

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Bumi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:50 pm

booyakasha wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.


so, what else do you suggest we do with our worthless liberal arts degrees?


Join or start a business. Sheesh people. There are more jobs out there than lawyer, engineer, doctor, teacher, and fireman. Find out what companies exist in your city and apply to them. Find a market niche that isn't being filled and fill it.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:26 pm

grouchynihilist wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.
so, what else do you suggest we do with our worthless liberal arts degrees?
I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.
Upward mobility is so fucked now, especially compared to 1850s England.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby paratactical » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm

grouchynihilist wrote:I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.


I find these posts to be incredibly amusing because I've already accomplished a great deal of upward mobility and I'm in my mid-20s. I could still go further, but all these people wonder around stating that there's no more chance to move upward! Well, maybe if you start life in the upper middle class it isn't so easy, but, to be quite frank, I don't feel bad for people who can't do better than upper middle class.
Last edited by paratactical on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:32 pm

I was sorely disappointed when I thought I was gentrifying a neighborhood and found out I was just another poor person.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:35 pm

paratactical wrote:
clintonius wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.
Upward mobility is so fucked now, especially compared to 1850s England.
I find these posts to be incredibly amusing because I've already accomplished a great deal of upward mobility and I'm in my mid-20s. I could still go further, but all these people wonder around stating that there's no more chance to move upward! Well, maybe if you start life in the upper middle class it isn't so easy, but, to be quite frank, I don't feel bad for people who can't do better than upper middle class.
...it was a joke?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby paratactical » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm

clintonius wrote:
paratactical wrote:
clintonius wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.
Upward mobility is so fucked now, especially compared to 1850s England.
I find these posts to be incredibly amusing because I've already accomplished a great deal of upward mobility and I'm in my mid-20s. I could still go further, but all these people wonder around stating that there's no more chance to move upward! Well, maybe if you start life in the upper middle class it isn't so easy, but, to be quite frank, I don't feel bad for people who can't do better than upper middle class.
...it was a joke?


Sorry, I shouldn't have included your quote in that. It was more directed at the previous poster.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I was sorely disappointed when I thought I was gentrifying a neighborhood and found out I was just another poor person.


Amazing.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I was sorely disappointed when I thought I was gentrifying a neighborhood and found out I was just another poor person.


Amazing.



Agreed.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The_Pluviophile and 3 guests