I am going to law school because...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

I am going to law school because

I want to help people
19
7%
I want to defend those who cannot defend themselves
18
6%
I care about the issues of others
22
8%
All of the above
63
22%
I'm greedy and selfish and only care about the money
170
58%
 
Total votes: 292

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:20 pm

danquayle wrote:You forgot prestige.


The almighty dollar trumps prestige. Every time... unless you want a snobby wife that only considers suitors of Ivy-League quality.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby danquayle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:15 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
danquayle wrote:You forgot prestige.


The almighty dollar trumps prestige. Every time... unless you want a snobby wife that only considers suitors of Ivy-League quality.


Of course, but I think prestige does factor into decision making.

JustBelieve
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby JustBelieve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Hey grouchynihilist, don't listen to people like paratactical. He/she is obviously a troll because he/she tries to mask it by calling everyone else one jsut because people disagree with him/her. Why waste time arguing with people like this? Just ignore them!

Take care!

grouchynihilist wrote:How is that statement incorrect? Because of our Dear Leader taxes are going to skyrocket even further for top earners. That's a fact. Why bother working hard to become a biglaw partner when taxes are going to drain more than half of what you earn? Not to mention estate tax so that when you die, your kids won't see much of it.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:22 pm

JustBelieve wrote:Hey grouchynihilist, don't listen to people like paratactical. He/she is obviously a troll because he/she tries to mask it by calling everyone else one jsut because people disagree with him/her. Why waste time arguing with people like this? Just ignore them!

Take care!

grouchynihilist wrote:How is that statement incorrect? Because of our Dear Leader taxes are going to skyrocket even further for top earners. That's a fact. Why bother working hard to become a biglaw partner when taxes are going to drain more than half of what you earn? Not to mention estate tax so that when you die, your kids won't see much of it.


Mods, any chance this IP is from georgeTTTown?

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:28 pm

I’m going to law school because I hate driving a shitty car.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:28 pm

I don't see why its wrong to go to law school for the money. The economy is in a depression basically, and law is the only option open for people in the liberal arts or who have poor grades in other disciplines, to make some money. You need wonderful grades from top UG for banking and consulting, serious WE for a good MBA program, UG hard science good grades, internships/research, for med school.

There are serious barriers to entry for everything else that could possibly make money save for law. Hence, we are all going into it.

JustBelieve
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby JustBelieve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:31 pm

I see your point. It's more of a moral issue for me than anything. I used to be like that in that I was always like I have to do everything to secure my future, etc. Then I learned to just let life take its course because things never work out the way we plan them.

Don't stress in dissonance, as long as we do good and do this profession for the right reasons and to give back, all will be provided for.

dissonance1848 wrote:I don't see why its wrong to go to law school for the money. The economy is in a depression basically, and law is the only option open for people in the liberal arts or who have poor grades in other disciplines, to make some money. You need wonderful grades from top UG for banking and consulting, serious WE for a good MBA program, UG hard science good grades, internships/research, for med school.

There are serious barriers to entry for everything else that could possibly make money save for law. Hence, we are all going into it.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:39 pm

JustBelieve wrote:I see your point. It's more of a moral issue for me than anything. I used to be like that in that I was always like I have to do everything to secure my future, etc. Then I learned to just let life take its course because things never work out the way we plan them.

Don't stress in dissonance, as long as we do good and do this profession for the right reasons and to give back, all will be provided for.

dissonance1848 wrote:I don't see why its wrong to go to law school for the money. The economy is in a depression basically, and law is the only option open for people in the liberal arts or who have poor grades in other disciplines, to make some money. You need wonderful grades from top UG for banking and consulting, serious WE for a good MBA program, UG hard science good grades, internships/research, for med school.

There are serious barriers to entry for everything else that could possibly make money save for law. Hence, we are all going into it.


This thread died on August 20th. Go away.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:45 pm

because justbelieve has given me confidence in my abilities.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:because justbelieve has given me confidence in my abilities.


These French Toasts are smelly and ungrateful!

JustBelieve
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby JustBelieve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Everyone: As long as you go for the right reasons it will all work out for you. Take care, and don't stop believing in yourself because there is nobody that can stop you from achieving but you!

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 pm

JustBelieve wrote:Everyone: As long as you go for the right reasons it will all work out for you. Take care, and don't stop believing in yourself because there is nobody that can stop you from achieving but you!



Are the right reasons and believing in myself necessary or sufficient conditions of making it rich?

User avatar
Jackson Pollock
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:22 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Jackson Pollock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Reading this thread makes me feel like I just spent the night in Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch.

EasternSeaboard
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby EasternSeaboard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:14 pm

paratactical wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Models, bottles & blow, baby.

TITCR


I'll settle for fat chick blow jobs and mad dog 20/20

It's good that you've learned to settle long before your OCIs.


LMAAAAAO!

JustBelieve
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby JustBelieve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:16 pm

It's not about becoming rich, but if you mean successful, then the obvious and apparent answer is yes. You can be whatever you set your mind to. You must, however, have the grades!! Get that GPA in the upper echelon of your school and you will be good.

Nothing is more important than your grades.

Patriot1208 wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:Everyone: As long as you go for the right reasons it will all work out for you. Take care, and don't stop believing in yourself because there is nobody that can stop you from achieving but you!



Are the right reasons and believing in myself necessary or sufficient conditions of making it rich?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:23 pm

JustBelieve wrote:It's not about becoming rich, but if you mean successful, then the obvious and apparent answer is yes. You can be whatever you set your mind to. You must, however, have the grades!! Get that GPA in the upper echelon of your school and you will be good.

Nothing is more important than your grades.


In the legal profession doesn't succesful = at least relative wealth?

EasternSeaboard
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby EasternSeaboard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:26 pm

inekela wrote:... being a SAH mom is the most boring thing in the world (to me), and I got a full ride to a T1? Plus I like to wear suits and heels. And argue.


LMAO I like that!

JustBelieve
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby JustBelieve » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:28 pm

No. I thought successful meant how you change lives.

EX: - the innocent person you helped get exonerated
- the molester you helped put in jail for life
- the statute you helped prove unconstitutional that caused much disservice to a population

Those are the true measures of success in the legal field.

Patriot1208 wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:It's not about becoming rich, but if you mean successful, then the obvious and apparent answer is yes. You can be whatever you set your mind to. You must, however, have the grades!! Get that GPA in the upper echelon of your school and you will be good.

Nothing is more important than your grades.


In the legal profession doesn't succesful = at least relative wealth?

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:It's not about becoming rich, but if you mean successful, then the obvious and apparent answer is yes. You can be whatever you set your mind to. You must, however, have the grades!! Get that GPA in the upper echelon of your school and you will be good.

Nothing is more important than your grades.


In the legal profession doesn't succesful = at least relative wealth?


Success = (Money + Prestige)/# of Diseases Acquired Whoring Oneself Out to Get there

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:31 pm

paratactical wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:It's not about becoming rich, but if you mean successful, then the obvious and apparent answer is yes. You can be whatever you set your mind to. You must, however, have the grades!! Get that GPA in the upper echelon of your school and you will be good.

Nothing is more important than your grades.


In the legal profession doesn't succesful = at least relative wealth?


Success = (Money + Prestige)^(How many times the lottery was won)/# of Diseases Acquired Whoring Oneself Out to Get there^(# of times struck by lightning)

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby beachbum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:31 pm

JustBelieve wrote:Everyone: As long as you go for the right reasons it will all work out for you. Take care, and don't stop believing in yourself because there is nobody that can stop you from achieving but you!


Image

User avatar
shoteka
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby shoteka » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:31 pm

bdubs wrote:If you are going to law school to help people, you could save yourself a ton of money by not going. There are much more effective and less costly ways to help people directly. There are ways that lawyers can help people, but it is not the primary function of the vast majority of lawyers.


This. Exactly.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:35 pm

JustBelieve wrote:No. I thought successful meant how you change lives.

EX: - the innocent person you helped get exonerated
- the molester you helped put in jail for life
- the statute you helped prove unconstitutional that caused much disservice to a population

Those are the true measures of success in the legal field.


So you're telling me that success in the legal field is impossible?

FUCK. Now I don't believe in myself.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:37 pm

paratactical wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:It's not about becoming rich, but if you mean successful, then the obvious and apparent answer is yes. You can be whatever you set your mind to. You must, however, have the grades!! Get that GPA in the upper echelon of your school and you will be good.

Nothing is more important than your grades.


In the legal profession doesn't succesful = at least relative wealth?


Success = (Money + Prestige)/# of Diseases Acquired Whoring Oneself Out to Get there


How do I measure the prestige? And do I count gonorrhea multiple times if I've had it multiple times or just once?
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EasternSeaboard
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: I am going to law school because...

Postby EasternSeaboard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:52 pm

paratactical wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:It's not about becoming rich, but if you mean successful, then the obvious and apparent answer is yes. You can be whatever you set your mind to. You must, however, have the grades!! Get that GPA in the upper echelon of your school and you will be good.

Nothing is more important than your grades.


In the legal profession doesn't succesful = at least relative wealth?


Success = (Money + Prestige)/# of Diseases Acquired Whoring Oneself Out to Get there


*DYING*




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests