I am going to law school because... Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

I am going to law school because

I want to help people
7%
I want to defend those who cannot defend themselves
6%
I care about the issues of others
8%
All of the above
22%
I'm greedy and selfish and only care about the money
58%

Total votes: 292

Always Credited

Gold

Re: I am going to law school because...

Post by Always Credited » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:00 pm

gdh wrote:How great would it be to have a class-action infomercial?
That takes all the fun out of chasing the ambulance.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:13 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Models, bottles & blow, baby.
Im gunning for biglaw partner by 28 and horrible cardiac arrest + death by 40.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 am

Matteliszt wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Models, bottles & blow, baby.
Im gunning for biglaw partner by 28 and horrible cardiac arrest + death by 40.

grouchynihilist

New

Post by grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:43 am

Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:45 am

grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

And for those of you who are at the top of your class at a T14 and get biglaw, 160k a year isn't exactly rich, especially if you have a family in the metro area. Very very few of you will make partner and get those riches. And hell, even law partners aren't as rich as people in the entertainment or business industries.
so, what else do you suggest we do with our worthless liberal arts degrees?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 am

grouchynihilist wrote:Really? Being a lawyer makes you rich? Going into tremendous debt and struggling to find a job that pays mid five figures is the ticket to riches? Okay!

Dude, come outside from your pessimistic shell of a broken, wasted being for just long enough to see that we're fucking joking. Then go back into said shell and don't bother us.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:51 am

yeah come on guys! and becoming an entertainer or athletic superstar is still pretty weaksauce...i mean, they aren't as rich as people like bill gates or carlos slim

get it together you hacks

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 am

You're funny.

grouchynihilist

New

Post by grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 am

booyakasha wrote:

I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grouchynihilist

New

Post by grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 am

Always Credited wrote:

Dude, come outside from your pessimistic shell of a broken, wasted being for just long enough to see that we're fucking joking. Then go back into said shell and don't bother us.
Even if you're joking, others aren't.

grouchynihilist

New

Post by grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 am

Stanford4Me wrote:

You're funny.
Yep, nevermind actually. You're all (even the TTT and T2 0Ls) going to become rich. My crystal ball is telling me. Yeah, you're gonna earn at least mid six figures. And you'll live happily ever after, perfectly content, never working too hard.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:59 am

grouchynihilist wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.
So grab a gun, join the Communist revolution, and do something creative about it.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 am

grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

You're funny.
Yep, nevermind actually. You're all (even the TTT and T2 0Ls) going to become rich. My crystal ball is telling me. Yeah, you're gonna earn at least mid six figures. And you'll live happily ever after, perfectly content, never working too hard.
i think a fundamental prob w/ your argument here is that your definition of rich could be entirely diff from someone else's...

...i mean, based on recent census data, top 2% of american households earn a median salary of 250k ish...that'd certainly qualify as 'rich' in many ppl's books (top 2% after all)

sure the top 0.5% (or less) of america is earning millions per yr...that doesnt make the 250kers less rich...just not AS rich haha

there was a great study (or was it a survey?) that i saw a yr ago that had top 5% (or was it top 2%, im getting my #'s mixed up) family income based on # of family members and city...the overall gist that i got, in many large US cities NOT Manhattan or NYC or LA haha, top 5%/2% for a family of 2 was like around 250k

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 am

grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

You're funny.
Who said we assume the rest of our lives will be pieces of cake? I mean, my life will be easy and the money will always be rolling in, but I'm a special case.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 am

I'm greedy and selfish and only care about the money

grouchynihilist

New

Post by grouchynihilist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:17 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

You're funny.
Who said we assume the rest of our lives will be pieces of cake? I mean, my life will be easy and the money will always be rolling in, but I'm a special case.
So if you're a trust fund baby, why slave away at law school ? Just chill or something and not work?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

You're funny.
i think a fundamental prob w/ your argument here is that your definition of rich could be entirely diff from someone else's...

...i mean, based on recent census data, top 2% of american households earn a median salary of 250k ish...that'd certainly qualify as 'rich' in many ppl's books (top 2% after all)

sure the top 0.5% (or less) of america is earning millions per yr...that doesnt make the 250kers less rich...just not AS rich haha

there was a great study (or was it a survey?) that i saw a yr ago that had top 5% (or was it top 2%, im getting my #'s mixed up) family income based on # of family members and city...the overall gist that i got, in many large US cities NOT Manhattan or NYC or LA haha, top 5%/2% for a family of 2 was like around 250k

Only top 2% make over 250k a year???? I figured it would be something around 10-15%. Jeeez!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:50 pm

booyakasha wrote:

Join or start a business. Sheesh people. There are more jobs out there than lawyer, engineer, doctor, teacher, and fireman. Find out what companies exist in your city and apply to them. Find a market niche that isn't being filled and fill it.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:26 pm

grouchynihilist wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

Upward mobility is so fucked now, especially compared to 1850s England.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm

grouchynihilist wrote:I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.
I find these posts to be incredibly amusing because I've already accomplished a great deal of upward mobility and I'm in my mid-20s. I could still go further, but all these people wonder around stating that there's no more chance to move upward! Well, maybe if you start life in the upper middle class it isn't so easy, but, to be quite frank, I don't feel bad for people who can't do better than upper middle class.
Last edited by paratactical on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:32 pm

I was sorely disappointed when I thought I was gentrifying a neighborhood and found out I was just another poor person.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:35 pm

paratactical wrote:
clintonius wrote:
grouchynihilist wrote:I don't know, be creative? Or accept the face that you won't be rich. The vast majority of people who are rich are rich because of family. Especially these days. Sorry, no more upward mobility.
I find these posts to be incredibly amusing because I've already accomplished a great deal of upward mobility and I'm in my mid-20s. I could still go further, but all these people wonder around stating that there's no more chance to move upward! Well, maybe if you start life in the upper middle class it isn't so easy, but, to be quite frank, I don't feel bad for people who can't do better than upper middle class.
...it was a joke?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm

clintonius wrote:
paratactical wrote:
clintonius wrote:
...it was a joke?
Sorry, I shouldn't have included your quote in that. It was more directed at the previous poster.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I was sorely disappointed when I thought I was gentrifying a neighborhood and found out I was just another poor person.
Amazing.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I was sorely disappointed when I thought I was gentrifying a neighborhood and found out I was just another poor person.
Amazing.

Agreed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”