Working in Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
chewy

New

Working in Law School

Post by chewy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Is it possible to take a four hour a day position with great benefits in law school?

I understand that time is crunched, but it would cover tuition at most schools I am looking at. Is it possible to still balance law school with this extra commitment?

lawschool2014

New

Re: Working in Law School

Post by lawschool2014 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:21 pm

I may be wrong but I think you sign a contact that you cannot work your first year in a FT program

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:32 pm

^ depends on the school.

sknowl01

New

Post by sknowl01 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:49 pm

From what I have read ABA standards require 1st year students to work no more than 20 hours per week, but I believe schools can further restrict this.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 pm

ABA accreditation requires that students work no more than 20 hours a week during their first years. Many schools require you not to work at all.

Regardless, it's a bad idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Niddar

New

Post by Niddar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:52 pm

I took a work-study gig that pays somewhat decent (for workstudy) for 15hrs a week. I'm not worried because it seems like I'll be able to handle it and possible even study at work.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:57 pm

chewy wrote:Is it possible to take a four hour a day position with great benefits in law school?

I understand that time is crunched, but it would cover tuition at most schools I am looking at. Is it possible to still balance law school with this extra commitment?
It really depends on a case-by-case basis. I work approximately 10-15 hours per week during the school year, and I've done fine in law school. Some people can't handle it, though. If you can, waiting to get a feel for law school might be your best bet. After your first semester, you probably can figure out whether it would work for you.

Also, what type of job are you looking for after law school? For example, if you want to do a job that pays a low salary, keeping your law school expenses down to "merely" cost-of-living would be optimal.

Pip

Bronze

Post by Pip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:19 pm

chewy wrote:Is it possible to take a four hour a day position with great benefits in law school?

Depends on the school you are going to... Not just what the school allows but also how structured the school is... The easiest schools to do that in would be those that also have a substantial number of evening courses, it would make scheduling your classes around your work schedule easier.

The other question is how much time do you need to prepare for classes. Some student will read every page they are assigned and study for hours for each class... others skim the reading or skip them completely using guides instead... it depends on what you are going to do and whether you can pull it off... no one knows that answer but you.

JustBelieve

New

Post by JustBelieve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Pip wrote:

Depends on the school you are going to... Not just what the school allows but also how structured the school is... The easiest schools to do that in would be those that also have a substantial number of evening courses, it would make scheduling your classes around your work schedule easier.

The other question is how much time do you need to prepare for classes. Some student will read every page they are assigned and study for hours for each class... others skim the reading or skip them completely using guides instead... it depends on what you are going to do and whether you can pull it off... no one knows that answer but you.
Yeah it depends on an individual basis. I asked this question and most responses said no.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”