Character and Fitness Hypothetical

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
TJISMYHERO

Character and Fitness Hypothetical

Postby TJISMYHERO » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:06 pm

edit: Deleted
Last edited by TJISMYHERO on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Re: Character and Fitness Hypothetical

Postby gdane » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:21 pm

This is a very long story full of very specific "hypotheticals". Are you sure that you, nor anyone you know, actually plans to do this?

In any case, I have no answer to your questions.

ZachOda

Postby ZachOda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:25 pm

"Successful in pulling a rouse" does not equal Character and Fitness. If you want to be truthful to your institution and start your legal career off correctly, you will admit/reveal your wrongdoings. Look at it this way, you don't want it to turn up someday and have to answer the question of "Why didn't you tell us?" Lying to your school will not help you gain admission to the bar of your respective state.

Also, don't say this is hypothetical, it's detailed enough to know that this is your situation. More facts may help us in giving you the best advice. But my advice is to own up to your mistakes and explain them to your school. Lying is not going to help you at all, in fact, it may hurt you terribly in the long run. Write an addendum.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:42 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:This is only a Hypothetical, I nor anyone I know plans on actually doing this.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:48 pm

I didn't read the post as carefully as I could have, but it seems to me the question is whether not disclosing this info during the law school admissions process could be acceptable because of anticipated expungement.

Regardless, my answer is that it is important to be honest and answer within the bounds of what the application explicitly requires at the time it is filled out. It is also important to not disclose what is not explicitly required IMO.

If a record has not been expunged at the time of application, and the record fits the description on the application of something that needs to be disclosed, then it needs to be disclosed or this could screw the hypothetical person.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:20 am

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:57 am

What will matter is whether or not you lied when you answered the questions, NOT whether or not your answers would have been true at some point in the future. If it is determined that you lied while answering the original question, you're going to have a lot of explaining to do.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:11 pm

you'll be fine, just disclose everything and be prepared to back it all up with every available piece of paperwork the court system has available concerning your case.
I had to turn in court docket info, as supplemental information upon request from some schools, others took what I already had which was attached via pdf to my addendum

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Obvious fact is obvious #1: if it's not expunged when you apply, and you get caught, you will be in trouble not for the record itself but for lying about it in the first place. You're also assuming that the school is not going to do a background check on you until well after you have been accepted and started attending class. Do not make that assumption.

Obvious fact is obvious #2: if in fact you don't have to disclose expunged records in Texas, then wait a year, let the expungement kick in, THEN apply so that this entire situation would be a moot point. How did this not even cross your mind? Law school is not going anywhere.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:23 pm

Call the school and ask. They are the experts on what they want disclosed. And if they dont require disclosure, there's no need to. But unless you are explicitly sure that you don't have to... do do do do do error on the side of disclosure.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm

cynthia rose wrote:Obvious fact is obvious #1: if it's not expunged when you apply, and you get caught, you will be in trouble not for the record itself but for lying about it in the first place. You're also assuming that the school is not going to do a background check on you until well after you have been accepted and started attending class. Do not make that assumption.

The school almost certainly won't. Doesn't mean you can't spend three years of money and then have to explain the overt lie to the bar (who WILL run an in-depth background investigation)...

Return to “Law School FAQ”