do a reality show? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
stratocophic

Gold

Re: do a reality show?

Post by stratocophic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Knockglock wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Knockglock wrote:I'd do it. You probably will get some clients out of your castmates. I see lots of legal problems in most of those MTV reality show people's futures :P.
Credited, but how are those scrubs going to piece together the money to pay lawyers after the show's over? :|
Idk, some combination of prostitution and attempting tocling to their fame far past their 15 minutes are over; just like most reality tv stars ;).
Aaaaah. Of course. The Kardashian approach.
imisscollege wrote:love all the posts but i probably won't do it. i just know that i'll throw up in some girl's mouth and have the youtube live in infamy for years to come. i need to grow the eff up. i'm an intelligent guy i love the idea of practicing law i should just sack the fuck up and leave my 19 year old self behind. thoughts? mature decision or one that i'll regret?
Much respec'.
imisscollege wrote:okay okay okay I have another question for everybody on the "no" side. What if I have a really really common name? Wouldn't that change my google-ability for the better?
How common we talking? If you were the only "celebrity" by that name, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you would likely still appear at/near the top of Google searches.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:59 pm

well for one thing they dont give out last names. and there are a lot of decently known people, from academia to music, with my name. i mean it's just i'm told that i'll be googleable and that's the main concern but like googleable how?

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:18 pm

imisscollege wrote:If you were invited to do a new, awesome-sounding social experiment (non-competition)-type reality show that would cause you to have to defer law school that you have already basically registered for in the fall, would you do it? It's not the real world or anything it's a new one on MTV. Would this ruin your legal life? Would it be worth it to become a celebrity of sorts? What if you also have a movie script that you want to get sold and would prefer to be a movie-writer than a lawyer?
I think the choice is obvious; do the show. There are people who would actually choose LS over this???

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:00 pm

If you're that concerned, you could also ask to use an alias on the show or have your last name withheld from the public.

When people say, "You look like that guy who threw up in that girl's mouth," you could laugh and be like, "Yeah, I get that a lot."

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:06 pm

If it's something you feel like you will need to hide from your future school and prospective employers, then maybe it isn't a good idea. Or, maybe if the reality show is what you want, law school isn't necessarily the best decision. Go with you gut, it's probably right; just choose whichever you think will give you the least regret if the other never happens for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:35 am

Law school is about to happen...in three weeks. the timing literally could not be worse.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:07 pm

OP: I think you should go with the gut, but personally, I knew someone who was on an MTV reality show for about 2 weeks, and he said he regretted every second of it, and he didn't put off law school to do it.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Don't go on the reality show if you value anything in life at all. The people come off as shallow. There are more important things in life than having fun. Besides, I doubt it we will actually be that much fun. But maybe that's just because I know I would hate it.

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Only do it if your name is Mike Jones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Being on a reality show has the potential to really hurt your career opportunities. I know 2 people that have been on real world, and for some reason 1 of them is a total d-bag now. He acts like the world owes him something. He also struggled to find a job for a long time and just recently got an opportunity (but, again, it was probably because of his being on real world that he got it... it's a social-type job) I'd go into details but if someone else who lives around here knows him... :-X /rant, point is... if you're really passionate about law school and becoming a lawyer.. do that. If you'd rather wind down the road of reality television stardum, go for it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:29 pm

imisscollege wrote: i'm an intelligent guy
Your posts speak otherwise.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:39 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Because I'm considering taking up an offer to go on a 2 month paid vacation? Give me a break.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:19 pm

I love the people who say "Be who you are, and if people can't respect that, screw
'em!"

That's OK advice, I guess, but if who you are is a loud-mouthed attention-whoring drunken slut (i.e. a typical Real World cast member), don't expect people to want to work with you.

I highly doubt that doing some reality TV would have a measurable impact on your career, but use common sense and behave yourself while the cameras are on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pm

here's the kicker about this show though. SUPPOSEDLY it's just a house full of guys. guys don't really tend to start drama; they usually just get along. So either there's some huge twist OR it's not the normal drama-starting kind of show but it's more of an observing of these guys' social tact at bars/clubs/girls/3somes/adventures etc etc etc. which is the way that it was pitched to me. I'm not even sure if I believe that though because it doesn't sound like a particularly appealing show.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:46 pm

imisscollege wrote:here's the kicker about this show though. SUPPOSEDLY it's just a house full of guys. guys don't really tend to start drama; they usually just get along. So either there's some huge twist OR it's not the normal drama-starting kind of show but it's more of an observing of these guys' social tact at bars/clubs/girls/3somes/adventures etc etc etc. which is the way that it was pitched to me. I'm not even sure if I believe that though because it doesn't sound like a particularly appealing show.
ITT: Law school applicant inadvertently signs up for gay reality show, hilarity ensues.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:08 pm

imisscollege wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Because I'm considering taking up an offer to go on a 2 month paid vacation? Give me a break.
No. It's because you express yourself like a half witted tool all around.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:12 pm

SBL wrote:
imisscollege wrote:here's the kicker about this show though. SUPPOSEDLY it's just a house full of guys. guys don't really tend to start drama; they usually just get along. So either there's some huge twist OR it's not the normal drama-starting kind of show but it's more of an observing of these guys' social tact at bars/clubs/girls/3somes/adventures etc etc etc. which is the way that it was pitched to me. I'm not even sure if I believe that though because it doesn't sound like a particularly appealing show.
ITT: Law school applicant inadvertently signs up for gay reality show, hilarity ensues.
Hahahah! Thats what I thought! A "house full of guys"? Sounds like a sausagefest to me...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Is it this?

http://www.brightonbeachshow.com/

I hope it isn't. It sounds like it and the timing fits, but..."the Russian Jersey Shore?"

Anyway, there is no way on Earth any reality show is just going to record the wacky, wacky adventures of a bunch of normal guys hanging out. Either they're not telling you something (ala My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance) or it's going to turn into a dramafest reeeeal quick. These "stick a bunch of strangers in a house and turn on the camera" shows are all the same. If you want to do it and think you'll regret not doing it, go for it. It sounds like you really want this. But know what you're getting into, and more importantly, know why they want you on it. You might be a perfectly nice, normal, intelligent guy, the "smart one." I could see them wanting one of those to completely and totally screw with. It's what I would look for.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Hahahaa! The Russian Jersey shore. Oh lord. Thats gonna be kickin'!

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:43 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hahahaa! The Russian Jersey shore. Oh lord. Thats gonna be kickin'!
If it's Brighton Beach, I'm changing my vote from "be wary" to "hell no." Good sweet Yevon, it looks worse than Jersey Shore, if that's even possible. I don't know what else it could be since I can't find any other real worldish reality show for MTV that was casting in 2010, but I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I would absolutely do Survivor though. First and second seasons were amazing and I wanted to be on it soooo much. I was in middle school at the time though. Oh well, I heard it got crappy after Season 2.
Last edited by Rikkugrrl on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm

SBL wrote:
That would be quite the kicker. That's a show I would watch.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:46 pm

dresden doll wrote:
imisscollege wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
No. It's because you express yourself like a half witted tool all around.
Haha I'm not the one with over thirteen thousand posts.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Between that and "K Town," I feel like every network is trying to do the [Insert Race or Ethnicity Here] Jersey shore. When they do the one for pale atheist half-Jews, I'm so in.

ZachOda

Bronze

Post by ZachOda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:27 pm

You know, I've been thinking about this one but I didn't feel I needed to ask it. But maybe it is relevant. If you got asked to do the show, you must have been interviewed extensively. What did they ask of you? If you can figure out the qualities you portrayed to them (which they obviously liked, to put you on the show), then maybe we can figure out what kind of show this is going to be and how you are going to be shown when its on the air

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”