do a reality show?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Always Credited

Re: do a reality show?

Postby Always Credited » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:50 pm

imisscollege wrote:And can one be 100% sure that if the show airs, the 50 year old partners/employers/whatever will get wind of this? Like I'd imagine that unless one becomes equivalent to the "situation" (and then who cares in that case), most employers would not have heard of them.

Like I'd imagine that even the simplest google search might connect "your name" to "your name on XYZ Terrible Show"

ZachOda

Postby ZachOda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:53 pm

And if you want ADA, who's to say that jurors won't have seen you? You might not think it will matter in the case, but it will. At the firm, maybe younger associates, or someone up against you for a position can use it. If I were going to a lawyer for advice, and it turned out to be a reality TV star, I'd start looking for a new lawyer. Nothing against your talents, I'm sure you're a smart person to have gotten your scholarship, but being on a reality show will not help your image at all.
If it's on tv or the internet, accept the fact that anyone will be able to find it, and use it.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:44 pm

ZachOda wrote:And if you want ADA, who's to say that jurors won't have seen you? You might not think it will matter in the case, but it will. At the firm, maybe younger associates, or someone up against you for a position can use it. If I were going to a lawyer for advice, and it turned out to be a reality TV star, I'd start looking for a new lawyer. Nothing against your talents, I'm sure you're a smart person to have gotten your scholarship, but being on a reality show will not help your image at all.
If it's on tv or the internet, accept the fact that anyone will be able to find it, and use it.

fuck you're probably right haha. god damnit. i wonder how much a non-mikethesituation type reality show cast member can expect to make in club appearances until their fame dies out. I've heard everything from a few hundred at a club to 20,000 being standard for every thurs-fri-sat night, obviously depending who you are and what show.

also, thoughts on whether it will help my screenplay to get read/made? At the moment it's a full length feature comedy and a hollywood exec loved my pitch and is asking for the script by the end of the summer. I want to get it in top shape though. But if that falls through, would my having been on a reality TV show increase my chances of somebody else picking it up?

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:07 am

Do it.

Just don't compromise who you are. If you're staying true to yourself, and that causes people to not want to associate with you, fuck 'em. That applies to both MTV and future legal colleagues. I wouldn't want to work with people who didn't like me for who I was. Remember that they can't show you doing anything stupid if you don't do anything stupid. Talk about your legal aspirations on the show. If you play it right, it will benefit you.

Also, keep in mind that reality television is the embodiment of the ADD culture in which we live. Unless you get arrested or make a conscious effort to parlay your appearance into something else, in 2-3 years it will have little significance in the 'real world.'

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:12 am

Pizon wrote:Do it.

Just don't compromise who you are. If you're staying true to yourself, and that causes people to not want to associate with you, fuck 'em. That applies to both MTV and future legal colleagues. I wouldn't want to work with people who didn't like me for who I was. Remember that they can't show you doing anything stupid if you don't do anything stupid. Talk about your legal aspirations on the show. If you play it right, it will benefit you.

Also, keep in mind that reality television is the embodiment of the ADD culture in which we live. Unless you get arrested or make a conscious effort to parlay your appearance into something else, in 2-3 years it will have little significance in the 'real world.'

This is exactly what I'm thinking: Go for it. Have fun.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:18 am

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:44 am

imisscollege wrote:
Slimpee wrote:I say do it. I would defer a year to do something cool like that. You never want to say "what if?".

Just be prepared to be eviscerated on Above the Law.

The "what if" terrifies me. I'm such a regretter. One thing is that they told me they'd cast me as the "smart" one, for whatever that's worth but who even know if I should believe them. Basically it's a social experiment where a bunch of guys live in a beach mansion and go nuts but I don't think it tries to play on anybody's stupidity or anything. I was more under the impression that it would be about the audience observing people's social tact. Obviously I'd need more information before I made any big decisions. And the other thing is that maybe after doing this I wouldn't even want to go to LS and maybe I wouldn't care about being "hireable" in the conventional sense. There's obviously a huge risk associated with it but to me, the "what if" is almost worse.

Sounds like your mind is made up. Happy trails! From everything you've shared about yourself, I think you're making an awesome decision!

MartianManhunter

Postby MartianManhunter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:00 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Powell

Kevin Powell did the Real World and then became a successful author, tv show host, motivational speaker, sold a screenplay, and performed respectably in his 2 bids for Congress. Reality TV attracts douches. It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to see why douches tend to not do much after reality TV. Don't be a douche and life's pretty good.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:04 pm

imisscollege wrote:
Slimpee wrote:I say do it. I would defer a year to do something cool like that. You never want to say "what if?".

The "what if" terrifies me. I'm such a regretter. One thing is that they told me they'd cast me as the "smart" one, for whatever that's worth but who even know if I should believe them. Basically it's a social experiment where a bunch of guys live in a beach mansion and go nuts but I don't think it tries to play on anybody's stupidity or anything. I was more under the impression that it would be about the audience observing people's social tact. Obviously I'd need more information before I made any big decisions. And the other thing is that maybe after doing this I wouldn't even want to go to LS and maybe I wouldn't care about being "hireable" in the conventional sense. There's obviously a huge risk associated with it but to me, the "what if" is almost worse.

OMG, you're going to be the socially awkward nerd?!? That sucks, you should still do it though.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Pizon wrote:Do it.

Yes, because we can totally afford, particularly ITE, to pick and choose colleagues and employers who will like us for who we truly are.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Just do it. You'll have fun and you'll have something to talk about for some time. Way too much fear and paranoia is being thrown around here about how hiring partners are going to google you and decide not to hire you etc etc. A reality show is not a death sentence. Youre free to do as you please on your own time. The main thing, like others have said, is to make sure you dont do anythin stupid. Avoid getting arrested, avoid getting into altercations and avoid looking like an idiot.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19 pm

gdane5 wrote:Avoid getting arrested, avoid getting into altercations and avoid looking like an idiot.

Without knowing more about the show it is hard to say, but often times the pick people who they think will look like an idiot and they try to fan the flames to get them to do dumb stuff. Who wants to watch a bunch of normal, well-mannered people living and hanging out together?

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:25 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
rando wrote: Snooki ain't goin' to law school any time soon.

There are numerous reasons for this. Being on a reality TV show is way down the list.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Avoid getting arrested, avoid getting into altercations and avoid looking like an idiot.

Without knowing more about the show it is hard to say, but often times the pick people who they think will look like an idiot and they try to fan the flames to get them to do dumb stuff. Who wants to watch a bunch of normal, well-mannered people living and hanging out together?

Youre right about that, but ultimately you can act whatever way you want to on the show. Worst case scenario they give you less camera time. As an example take a look at Vinny from Jersey Shore. He's a pretty tame and quiet guy and thats why we see him on camera for a total of 2 minutes per episode. Mike from the Real World DC was also a "normal" no nonsense type of guy and he also had little camera time during most episodes.

Its important to remember, as someone else pointed out, that seldomly are reality TV "actors" remembered. Even the craziest people tend to be forgotten. So if youre tame and quiet and all that chances are noone will remember you.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:29 pm

gdane5 wrote:Just do it. You'll have fun and you'll have something to talk about for some time. Way too much fear and paranoia is being thrown around here about how hiring partners are going to google you and decide not to hire you etc etc. A reality show is not a death sentence. Youre free to do as you please on your own time. The main thing, like others have said, is to make sure you dont do anythin stupid. Avoid getting arrested, avoid getting into altercations and avoid looking like an idiot.

zomg, I have a GREAT idea! You and OP should to a reality show together!

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 pm

imisscollege wrote:

I'll just leave this with you. The "smart" one on a reality show? Aside from the cliches about the actual value of being the smartest one in this proposed house (one eyed man in the land of blind, tallest midget, etc.)... here's some food for thought. The E! Reality show "The Girls Next Door" also sold one of its characters as the "smart" one. All participants other than the senile Mr. Hefner were at least portrayed (regardless of whether they were, and let's face it, they probably were) as being noticeably dumber than upside-down signposts. Furthermore, on that show, the "smart" one may very well have been the least intelligent of the three. There was stiff competition, to be sure. If you want to be that guy, whatevs - but don't be dumb enough to go to law school if there's a big possibility that you don't actually want the JD.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:44 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Just do it. You'll have fun and you'll have something to talk about for some time. Way too much fear and paranoia is being thrown around here about how hiring partners are going to google you and decide not to hire you etc etc. A reality show is not a death sentence. Youre free to do as you please on your own time. The main thing, like others have said, is to make sure you dont do anythin stupid. Avoid getting arrested, avoid getting into altercations and avoid looking like an idiot.

zomg, I have a GREAT idea! You and OP should to a reality show together!

Ive seriously been thinking about it! Im waiting to see what the next real world location is going to be. If its a favorable location and filming ends before fall 2011 starts, Ill go for it. Id also have to consider how many "outside" commitments the show would require. Id hate to be in the middle of my semester and be forced by MTV to flyout for a "reunion" or some garbage.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:44 pm

FWIW, I'd do it. Just make sure to tread lightly, gather all the relevant info, and figure out what you want to do exactly.

There are no guarantees of legal employment even if you don't do this. You could end up unemployed and full of regret in a few years either way.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:14 am

I'd do it. You probably will get some clients out of your castmates. I see lots of legal problems in most of those MTV reality show people's futures :P.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:20 am

Knockglock wrote:I'd do it. You probably will get some clients out of your castmates. I see lots of legal problems in most of those MTV reality show people's futures :P.
Credited, but how are those scrubs going to piece together the money to pay lawyers after the show's over? :|

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:27 am

stratocophic wrote:
Knockglock wrote:I'd do it. You probably will get some clients out of your castmates. I see lots of legal problems in most of those MTV reality show people's futures :P.
Credited, but how are those scrubs going to piece together the money to pay lawyers after the show's over? :|

Idk, some combination of prostitution and attempting tocling to their fame far past their 15 minutes are over; just like most reality tv stars ;).

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:46 am

love all the posts but i probably won't do it. i just know that i'll throw up in some girl's mouth and have the youtube live in infamy for years to come. i need to grow the eff up. i'm an intelligent guy i love the idea of practicing law i should just sack the fuck up and leave my 19 year old self behind. thoughts? mature decision or one that i'll regret?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Why must you settle into a life of mediocrity and dullness? Have a life! Enjoy yourself! If youre going to law school then youre going to go through 3 years of hard work, months of preparation for a very difficul bar exam and then off to work at a demanding job (assuming you can find one). Why not do something really great and fun before youre life becomes chaotic?

Do it! Hell, we'll do it together!

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:39 pm

gdane5 wrote:Why must you settle into a life of mediocrity and dullness? Have a life! Enjoy yourself! If youre going to law school then youre going to go through 3 years of hard work, months of preparation for a very difficul bar exam and then off to work at a demanding job (assuming you can find one). Why not do something really great and fun before youre life becomes chaotic?

Do it! Hell, we'll do it together!

I'm with you. I'll join up, too!

Remember, being a high-powered biglaw attorney isn't necessary for a good life. Hell, it's isn't sufficient, either!

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:23 pm

okay okay okay I have another question for everybody on the "no" side. What if I have a really really common name? Wouldn't that change my google-ability for the better?

Return to “Law School FAQ”