do a reality show?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
imisscollege

do a reality show?

Postby imisscollege » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

If you were invited to do a new, awesome-sounding social experiment (non-competition)-type reality show that would cause you to have to defer law school that you have already basically registered for in the fall, would you do it? It's not the real world or anything it's a new one on MTV. Would this ruin your legal life? Would it be worth it to become a celebrity of sorts? What if you also have a movie script that you want to get sold and would prefer to be a movie-writer than a lawyer?

emilybeth

Re: do a reality show?

Postby emilybeth » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Um.

The fact that you describe participating in an MTV reality show as "awesome-sounding" leads me to believe that (a) you should definitely do it and (b) you should definitely not go to law school right now/ever. Both your username and desire to be a "movie-writer" and a "celebrity of sorts" further support these conclusions.
Last edited by emilybeth on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Wait, you're not that guy from the Real Housewives of NJ, are you?

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:24 pm

If it was something like The Colony http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/, it'd be tempting, but certainly not for the chance to "be a celebrity." These sound like hypotheticals only the OP can answer.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:32 pm

emilybeth wrote:Um.

The fact that you describe participating in an MTV reality show as "awesome-sounding" leads me to believe that (a) you should definitely do it and (b) you should definitely not go to law school right now/ever. Both your username and desire to be a "movie-writer" and a "celebrity of sorts" further support these conclusions.

i dunno my 3/4 ride to a t30 regional powerhouse in my favorite city suggests otherwise. and I think that's a ridiculous generalization that people with hobbies such as mine and people who admit that they miss college in an anon forum should not go to law school now/ever. get a life.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:38 pm

imisscollege wrote:
emilybeth wrote:Um.

i dunno my 3/4 ride to a t30 regional powerhouse in my favorite city suggests otherwise. and I think that's a ridiculous generalization that people with hobbies such as mine and people who admit that they miss college in an anon forum should not go to law school now/ever. get a life.

I think what she's suggesting is that you get one. (You know, a real one, not one that regresses back to college. Also a scholarship from any school is not a strong indicator of whether or not one should go to law school if that's the basis of the decision to go).

rando

Postby rando » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

You guys are being a bit overly judgmental IMO. I miss college all the time. And while i'm not into reality TV, I can see why someone would be hesitant to miss an opportunity like that (even though it's not everyone's cup of tea).

You should consider how it will affect your footprint though and whether you will be hirable in the future. Those shows tend to be hyper-provocative and not to shed their characters in the best light.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:59 pm

rando wrote:You guys are being a bit overly judgmental IMO. I miss college all the time. And while i'm not into reality TV, I can see why someone would be hesitant to miss an opportunity like that (even though it's not everyone's cup of tea).

You should consider how it will affect your footprint though and whether you will be hirable in the future. Those shows tend to be hyper-provocative and not to shed their characters in the best light.

Agree with this. It could be cool, but realize that the producers WANT to make you look like a freak/tool for ratings. Snooki ain't goin' to law school any time soon.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Just do it. Enjoy your life. I've been considering going on a reality show as well. For starters, you dont have to disclose to law schools that you were on a reality show. Also, keep in mind that law schools dont know what you look like when you apply so even if someone on an admissions committee recognized your name, they wouldnt necessarily be able to tie you to a reality show you were on. Just do it. It would be a nice life experience. Finally, Snooki wouldnt go to law school not because she's on Jersey Shore, but because she's a f*cking moron. "I feel like a Pilgrim from the 1920's..." Stupid.

Edit: Make sure you dont do anything that will land you in jail. Of course these shows encourage people to do stuff thats entertaining, but make sure you dont do anything too crazy. Again, I wouldnt be too concerned about any schools finding out. If you have good numbers and no red flags, everything will be fine.
Last edited by gdane on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:49 pm

imisscollege wrote:If you were invited to do a new, awesome-sounding social experiment (non-competition)-type reality show that would cause you to have to defer law school that you have already basically registered for in the fall, would you do it? It's not the real world or anything it's a new one on MTV. Would this ruin your legal life? Would it be worth it to become a celebrity of sorts? What if you also have a movie script that you want to get sold and would prefer to be a movie-writer than a lawyer?

If you think you might want to be something other than a lawyer, now is the time to explore that, not after three years of school and debt. Waiting to go to school does sound like the best course of action, until you clarify your career goals. There are just too many frustrated and unhappy lawyers out there.

As for the reality show, I wouldn't do it. But that's me. Participants are plied with alcohol, function on very little sleep, and are placed in stressful situations. That is true from Jersey Shore, to The Real World, to shows like Top Chef and Project Runway. It is the nature of filming good reality TV. I wouldn't trust myself to be able to put my best self forward, particularly after the editing process. In the age of Google, I think risking your public reputation is the sort of thing that could haunt your career (even a non-legal one) for a very, very long time.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:57 pm

I say do it. I would defer a year to do something cool like that. You never want to say "what if?".

Just be prepared to be eviscerated on Above the Law.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Slimpee wrote:I say do it. I would defer a year to do something cool like that. You never want to say "what if?".

The "what if" terrifies me. I'm such a regretter. One thing is that they told me they'd cast me as the "smart" one, for whatever that's worth but who even know if I should believe them. Basically it's a social experiment where a bunch of guys live in a beach mansion and go nuts but I don't think it tries to play on anybody's stupidity or anything. I was more under the impression that it would be about the audience observing people's social tact. Obviously I'd need more information before I made any big decisions. And the other thing is that maybe after doing this I wouldn't even want to go to LS and maybe I wouldn't care about being "hireable" in the conventional sense. There's obviously a huge risk associated with it but to me, the "what if" is almost worse.

gobucks101

Postby gobucks101 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:36 pm

I could see an Amazing Race or Survivor working. MTV, not so much. Just my view.

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:30 pm

imisscollege wrote:
Slimpee wrote:I say do it. I would defer a year to do something cool like that. You never want to say "what if?".

The "what if" terrifies me. I'm such a regretter. One thing is that they told me they'd cast me as the "smart" one, for whatever that's worth but who even know if I should believe them. Basically it's a social experiment where a bunch of guys live in a beach mansion and go nuts but I don't think it tries to play on anybody's stupidity or anything. I was more under the impression that it would be about the audience observing people's social tact. Obviously I'd need more information before I made any big decisions. And the other thing is that maybe after doing this I wouldn't even want to go to LS and maybe I wouldn't care about being "hireable" in the conventional sense. There's obviously a huge risk associated with it but to me, the "what if" is almost worse.

It may just be me, but that sounds like the exact wrong kind of publicity for someone hoping to practice law a few years down the road to carry with them. I'm not saying you will be this guy, but who really wants to hire that tool who got crazy drunk and wet the bed (on national television) as their attorney? I'm not sure very many law firms would be anxious to hire that guy, either. It really just sounds to me like every other reality show out there, where a bunch of young people are put in a house with a bunch of easy women and beer and the cameras are left on. Not good publicity, man.

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:46 pm

imisscollege wrote:

If you pass, tell them you have someone in mind (aka me). Sounds too fratty to pass up.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:51 pm

My experience watching reality TV at the gym (It's like a trainwreck you can't stop watching once you start, and I end up working out at least till the end of the episode and longer than intended. It's great.), if you are on a MTV Reality TV Show, you will appear like a trashy moron. I can think of other reality TV shows where your career afterward could be okay (like the Mole. I miss the Mole), but not anything on MTV.

ZachOda

Postby ZachOda » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:56 pm

I say no on this one personally. I mean you can say the "what if's" on doing the show, but on the other side...
What if you get really drunk and the cameras are around?
What if you get in a fight, or one of your roommates do = legal trouble?

I would've loved to do one of these personally, but I figure if I were choosing between two applicants for my firm and one of them was an MTV reality show alumnus, it would not be a difficult decision on who to choose. Snooki says she wants to be a vet someday, do you really think anyone, after seeing her on this show, would let her WALK their dog, much less perform surgery on it? Let's face it, MTV doesn't want the "smart one", they want someone out of their element that looks hilarious when plastered. And that's what everyone will be on this show. Ratings won't go up for the intelligent law student staying in on the weekends, they want the person drunk, hooking up with lots of girls, then getting in a fight on the way home so they can put it on the trailer for next week.

The last thing you want is to regret doing this show and realizing that you will be unhirable for something that you did during the taping

spondee

Postby spondee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 pm

imisscollege wrote:

This doesn't sound like a social experiment; it sounds like a sale. Are you sure this isn't one of those shows where they tell the participants one thing and then package it for the audience another way?

I think if you want to be a part of that life, if you want to be a "movie-writer," you should go for it. It's nearly certain you'll never be a screenwriter, but far better to try now when you're young and eager.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:29 am

spondee wrote:
imisscollege wrote:

This doesn't sound like a social experiment; it sounds like a sale. Are you sure this isn't one of those shows where they tell the participants one thing and then package it for the audience another way?

I think if you want to be a part of that life, if you want to be a "movie-writer," you should go for it. It's nearly certain you'll never be a screenwriter, but far better to try now when you're young and eager.

How much do you think things change if I want to be an ADA and not work for a firm?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:33 am

Definitely do it if you want to. Never wonder "what if?"

Know you will be ATL fodder throughout your career whenever they get bored if you ever get a firm job.

spondee

Postby spondee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:06 am

imisscollege wrote:How much do you think things change if I want to be an ADA and not work for a firm?

I don't think it changes anything. In either case, you're risking your professional reputation before you've had a chance to begin building it. But I'm not sure the risk is really that great. Depends on the show, I guess.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:16 am

imisscollege wrote:

Apart from those shows that showcase an actual talent (like Top Chef), don't all reality shows play on the participant's stupidity? I'm fairly certain that they would all have been pitched to potential participants as exactly what they said to you. (I dunno, maybe I've been watching the wrong ones...)

However, I feel like you've already made up your mind. I will now stop giving advice since I'm a 0L.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:19 am

kazu wrote:
imisscollege wrote:

Apart from those shows that showcase an actual talent (like Top Chef), don't all reality shows play on the participant's stupidity? I'm fairly certain that they would all have been pitched to potential participants as exactly what they said to you. (I dunno, maybe I've been watching the wrong ones...)

However, I feel like you've already made up your mind. I will now stop giving advice since I'm a 0L.

Yeah, as stated above, I have never seen a "smart" person on an MTV reality TV show. Other reality TV shows on other channels, sure. Maybe the ones on MTV might have been smart, but the way they were all depicted were as unreasonable, selfish, spoiled, ridiculously stupid, irritatingly conceited, and horrifically trashy. This might not be what they're like actually, but it's how MTV chooses to present them post-editing. "A bunch of guys live in a beach mansion and go nuts" really doesn't seem like it's going to deviate far from the MTV formula of reality TV trash.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:29 pm

And can one be 100% sure that if the show airs, the 50 year old partners/employers/whatever will get wind of this? Like I'd imagine that unless one becomes equivalent to the "situation" (and then who cares in that case), most employers would not have heard of them.

spondee

Postby spondee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm

It's not that you're going to become famous and hiring partners will know your name.

It's that during the hiring process, you'll be Googled, and whatever the worst, most crass, mean, and drunk thing you do on the show, that YouTube video will be the top hit.

Return to “Law School FAQ”