Law schools in great family places Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
czelede

Silver

Re: Law schools in great family places

Post by czelede » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
texanokie wrote:I also have a family, plus a background in geography/urban planning, and am well-traveled within the US, and based on what you're looking for, I'd offer the following recommendations:

1. Research Triangle area, NC (Duke, UNC, etc.)
2. Chicagoland (I would live in certain suburbs, though, for the schools, or plan on paying for private education; it does get cold here, though - much colder than CT)
3. Atlanta/Athens, GA (Emory, UGA)
4. Dallas or Austin, TX (Texas, SMU)
5. Los Angeles (living in either Orange County or San Gabriel Valley suburbs for schools)
6. Nashville, TN (Vandy)
7. Washington, DC (so long as you live in the Virginia or Montgomery County, MD suburbs)
Its funny- I've been told that NC isn't great for kids, and that Nashville is over-rated. Further, that DC area is either TERRIBLE or STUPID expensive (like the bigger cities).
I am a big fan of Athens, (Weaver D's ftw), hate atlanta with a fiery passion, and just don't understand how chicago works- my wife grew up there however so I trust her that the close-by suburbs don't fall prey to the "rotation" in, say, Brooklyn, where an area is nice, so bad elements move in, crime increases, education falls, and the community/friendlier/educated move to a new area.
DC is crazy expensive but the Montgomery County area has some great magnet schools (don't know about normal public schools).

There are some established suburbs of Chicago that will definitely not have a "rotation" problem, as their school systems are well-reputed and have been established for quite some time. Land taxes are expensive (assessment fees aren't so great for condos/townhomes either), but you could always rent until the money starts rolling in.

luckyduck

Bronze

Post by luckyduck » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:40 pm

I've got to stick up for St. Louis. I'd go for WUSTL. The city itself doesn't have great schools but the smaller communities very close to WUSTL do. Check out Ladue, Creve Coeur, Webster Groves, Brentwood. All within a very easy commute and some of the best schools in the country.
Crime doesn't seem to come into these communities either. We've found a very safe living environment just 10 minutes from the city with excellent public schools.

St. Louis itself is a great city to play in. Zoo, art museum, history museum are all free. Grant farms only charges to park. My kids even enjoy touring Budweiser (like a real life "How It's Made) (free). Plus lots of sporting events and festivals. I've been here since May and am pleasantly surprised.

Can't beat the cost of living either!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Another thing to consider if school systems are important to you is that near major universities there are often laboratory magnet schools funded by the university.

texanokie

New

Post by texanokie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:Its funny- I've been told that NC isn't great for kids, and that Nashville is over-rated. Further, that DC area is either TERRIBLE or STUPID expensive (like the bigger cities).
I am a big fan of Athens, (Weaver D's ftw), hate atlanta with a fiery passion, and just don't understand how chicago works- my wife grew up there however so I trust her that the close-by suburbs don't fall prey to the "rotation" in, say, Brooklyn, where an area is nice, so bad elements move in, crime increases, education falls, and the community/friendlier/educated move to a new area.
Nashville and Austin are both incredibly overrated. However, that says more about the hype than the actual living experience, as both places are still great places to live even if they are over-hyped. In NC, I'd live on the Raleigh side of the Triangle, or perhaps the southern suburbs like Fuquay, and commute to Chapel Hill/Durham. I am not a fan of Charlotte or Winston-Salem/Triad. Asheville is overrated. Raleigh, Wilmington, and Fayetteville are nice (I was pleasantly surprised with Fayetteville, as I was expecting a stereotypical military town).
Last edited by texanokie on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lonestar

New

Post by lonestar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm an older married applicant (28), and have travelled most of the country for my job. Although I don't have kids, I'm thinking similarly.
To that end, these are my favorites.

- UT, Austin (great mix of school + city + QOL) Schools are OK, great as you get into Westlake
- UVA, Charlottesville (great college town, great culture for its size, good schools)
- Michigan, Ann Arbor (similar to Charlottesville)
- Duke/UNC, Triangle (Chapel HIll is a better town, Duke obviously a better school)
- GULC, GW, DC Burbs (NOVA has the best schools in the country, TJ, Fairfax County, Good public transit for commuting to school)
- Colorado, Boulder (a more gronola version of CVille with Mountains, good schools)
- Georgia, Athens (Great town, great vibe, comfortable life for sure)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:24 pm

luckyduck wrote:I've got to stick up for St. Louis. I'd go for WUSTL. The city itself doesn't have great schools but the smaller communities very close to WUSTL do. Check out Ladue, Creve Coeur, Webster Groves, Brentwood. All within a very easy commute and some of the best schools in the country.
Crime doesn't seem to come into these communities either. We've found a very safe living environment just 10 minutes from the city with excellent public schools.

St. Louis itself is a great city to play in. Zoo, art museum, history museum are all free. Grant farms only charges to park. My kids even enjoy touring Budweiser (like a real life "How It's Made) (free). Plus lots of sporting events and festivals. I've been here since May and am pleasantly surprised.

Can't beat the cost of living either!
I'm glad you weighed in. Went to college in Columbia, MO, so being close again would be nice, but no one had said anything positive about st. louis.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm

one final plug for the philly area- if you are in the lower merion/haverford school district, your child will get an education that is every bit the equal of that of a private school. cheaper options in the area include ardmore and havertown. worth a visit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student”