Accelerated Law Programs?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Lawquacious

Re: Accelerated Law Programs?

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:44 pm

maine08080

Postby maine08080 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:47 pm

I believe UConn recently started this program:
http://www.admissions.uconn.edu/programs/law.php

Just read it, you'll get the details

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:10 am

Richmond does this. At least, they did when I was applying to undergrad schools 6 years ago.

I actually can't find anything on their website, nor did I apply specifically for it, but with my acceptance, they sent me a letter saying if I attended, I would also be accepted into their law school following graduation. I didn't go there, though, so I'm not sure of the details.

ETA: Here it is: --LinkRemoved-- It seems you don't apply for it separately, they just invite you if they want to.

The University of Richmond recognizes that some of its undergraduate applicants already are considering a career in law and are preparing for postgraduate study at law school. To help these individuals meet their needs, the faculty of the University of Richmond School of Law and the Office of Admission offer a special program for qualified enrolling first-year Richmond students.

These selected students, upon acceptance as first-year students for undergraduate study, automatically will be offered a place in Richmond Law for the year following their graduation from Richmond’s bachelor’s degree program.

During the undergraduate years, the only stipulations to the program are that the student achieves an LSAT and grade point average at or above the median LSAT and grade point average of the previous year’s law school entering class and that they are of good moral character. Students who meet these requirements are guaranteed admission to the University of Richmond School of Law.

bleu

Postby bleu » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:20 am

artfuldodger23 wrote:Hey Guys,

I have a cousin who is interested in doing Law. She doesn't want to go through a tough time stressing over getting the perfect LSAT's and she wants to apply to a program that guarantees you a spot at that university's law school if you maintain a minimum GPA and you take the LSAT during your junior year (regardless of what you make). I know these are referred to as 3+3 programs but are there programs where you can apply as a high school senior and you can get a BA or BS as well as a JD within 6 or 7 years? I know Rutgers Camden has one but she says its such a dangerous area! I really need some advice to tell her! She is a incoming senior who resides in Texas

This will end horribly. Lazy, stressed, and doing her own research. You should encourage her to grow up first.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:25 am

University of Michigan just started a program where if you get a 3.8 or above, you can get automatically admitted to the law school. I think its the highest ranked law school that does that. She should go there.

artfuldodger23

Postby artfuldodger23 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Total Litigator wrote:University of Michigan just started a program where if you get a 3.8 or above, you can get automatically admitted to the law school. I think its the highest ranked law school that does that. She should go there.

Total Litigator, do you happen to know what the program is called?

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:13 am

something something wolverines.

i think it was in the mich dean interview

thechee

Postby thechee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:24 am

A Combined Plan in Law is offered in cooperation with the Columbia University School of Law. Under this plan a student combines three years of study at Carleton with three years at Columbia Law School. After completion of the six year program, the student is awarded two degrees, a BA degree from Carleton and a JD degree from Columbia.

This is at Carleton College in Minnesota.

thechee

Postby thechee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:27 am

HyeMart wrote:something something wolverines.

i think it was in the mich dean interview

--LinkRemoved--

You definitely aren't admitted automatically with a 3.8, but you can apply without the hassle of studying for the LSAT.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:10 am

University of Illinois has a program like this called iLEAP. Apply junior year of UG, no LSAT required.
However, I seriously doubt that some of these programs (i.e. Michigan, Illinois, Columbia) are as easy to get into as they seem. I haven't seen any admissions data for these programs, but I'm guessing these are highly selective.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 am

You are correct, but Michigan is very interested in keeping their brightest students for law school according to their written guide that I read about two years ago. Presumably GPA & recommendations will be the primary factors considered.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 am

Total Litigator wrote:University of Michigan just started a program where if you get a 3.8 or above, you can get automatically admitted to the law school. I think its the highest ranked law school that does that. She should go there.

They started this in 2008.

OP, this isn't the way to go. The LSAT isn't that bad. Getting into one of the schools that offers this and then maintaining a 3.8 is difficult. With the exception of Michigan, she could end up going to a school way under what she is qualified for.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 am

The best way to accelerate the process in my opinion, is to just do undergrad faster. I will be turning 24 the day of my graduation from law school, but I finished undergrad in two years, worked for a year and then did law school... I just feel law school is not something one would want to do faster... it is already very stressful as it is.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:28 am

Many want to avoid sitting for the LSAT, or, at least, being held back by a lower than expected LSAT score after earning a 3.8+ GPA.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:30 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Many want to avoid sitting for the LSAT, or, at least, being held back by a lower than expected LSAT score after earning a 3.8+ GPA.

How do they know they will have a 3.8 GPA? I don't see how they know that any more than they do what their LSAT will be. Most (if not all) of these programs are binding. It's not like you get admitted, then take the LSAT, so you have a safety. OP's, cousin may score a 178 and have a shot at HYS.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:34 am

blowhard wrote:OP, this isn't the way to go. The LSAT isn't that bad. Getting into one of the schools that offers this and then maintaining a 3.8 is difficult. With the exception of Michigan, she could end up going to a school way under what she is qualified for.

+1

Isn't OP's cousin still a senior in high school? Having been a high school student not too long ago, I know they sometimes go through more trouble than it's worth just to avoid doing something they don't want to do.

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 am

I'm not sure if they do it any longer, but Texas A&M did a 3+3 with South Texas College of Law in Houston at one point. Here's a link to some info on the program, although the google search indicated this is part of the 06-07 Undergrad Catalog.
http://catalog.tamu.edu/06-07_UG_Catalo ... ograms.htm

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:41 am

Michigan's offer is not binding. The LSAT is bad for many students. Also applicants to Michigan's program are encouraged to take the LSAT, but do not need to furnish their scores. Programs like this can be great stress relievers for strong students who perform poorly, or less than expected, on standardized tests.
@blowhard: Every student that I know is well aware of their GPA. Although Michigan does require their accepted students to finish with a 3.8 or above GPA (if they have a semester remaining) or face a review & possible revocation of their acceptance. The 3.8 is a requirement for applying without a LSAT score.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:49 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Michigan's offer is not binding. The LSAT is bad for many students. Also applicants to Michigan's program are encouraged to take the LSAT, but do not need to furnish their scores. Programs like this can be great stress relievers for strong students who perform poorly, or less than expected, on standardized tests.
@blowhard: Every student that I know is well aware of their GPA. Also your last post is almost entirely incorrect.

I know this is off-topic, but I just wanted to air a grievance. While I agree that the LSAT is bad for many students, it's a hurdle that everyone has to pass. It doesn't seem entirely fair to me that a handful of students at my school will get in without having to take the LSAT.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:52 am

Several law school admissions officers have openly expressed their wish that USNews would deemphasize LSAT scores when computing law school rankings since many otherwise highly qualified candidates that they would like to admit are rejected due to their LSAT scores.
Many transfer students are admitted as second year students to top 14 programs with comparatively low LSAT scores that would have made them unsuccessful candidates as first year students. For example, two different TLS posters with LSAT scores of 161 were recently admitted to Stanford Law School & Emory's law school.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:40 am

Yeah Sure:

The University of Michigan Law School is debuting a program in which a select group of students will be accepted without taking the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), as applicants normally are required to do.

The Wolverine Scholars Program will be open only to University of Michigan-Ann Arbor undergraduates who have completed at least their junior year and have a 3.8 grade-point average.

source: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

However, I guess the caveat is that having a 3.8 only makes you only eligible, you still have to go through an application process... Therefore other schools' programs might be a safer bet....

Return to “Law School FAQ”