Sending a "Why Emory" if school doesn't require?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
NaijaLaw

Sending a "Why Emory" if school doesn't require?

Postby NaijaLaw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 pm

I'm thinking about writing a "Why Emory" statement to help in my app process, but their site only asks for Diversity& Personal Statements, should I take the chance or will my scores keep them from caring to read it?

Has anyone done this for another school even though they didn't ask?? Did you get in? Do you think it helped you get admitted/waitlisted?

acadec

Re: Sending a "Why Emory" if school doesn't require?

Postby acadec » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Probably don't do it for any school not named Emory, but otherwise it's a good idea.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:35 pm

I did this for University of Washington, even though they did not ask for it.

Even if doesn't help, it can't hurt me if it is well written, right? Like, they won't be annoyed that I included it? I hope not.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

If you feel compelled to write such a statement, it may be best to include it in your personal statement. An additional "Why Emory ?" statement that was not requested may suggest that you do not want to compete on a level playing field with the other applicants.

NaijaLaw

Postby NaijaLaw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 am

CanadianWolf wrote:If you feel compelled to write such a statement, it may be best to include it in your personal statement. An additional "Why Emory ?" statement that was not requested may suggest that you do not want to compete on a level playing field with the other applicants.

My scores are no where near their standards, so I don't have the option of competing on the same level as other applicants. I was hoping this would change the perspective past numbers (my PS is full already and is tipping past 2pgs).

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:21 am

UVA though has said that despite not asking for why? essays they receive and read (and like) why? essays. I don't know why emory would be any different.

Return to “Law School FAQ”