Last Minute Acceptances

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Last Minute Acceptances

Postby softey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Got the wait list call... two weeks before orientation.

Thoughts about a last-minute, coast-to-coast switch from a top 20 to a top 14? This will include loss of deposit, canceling of a lease, driving a car cross country, getting a new lease, etc.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Just want to take a guess.... USC to Georgetown?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:53 pm

If the T14 gives you legitimately better options at what you want to do and where you want to do it, then I say T14. The few thousand dollars you are going to lose, due to the lease, the deposit, etc, is nothing compared to the better opportunities (assuming the opportunities are better for what you want).

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:18 pm

softey wrote:Got the wait list call... two weeks before orientation.

Thoughts about a last-minute, coast-to-coast switch from a top 20 to a top 14? This will include loss of deposit, canceling of a lease, driving a car cross country, getting a new lease, etc.


Without the schools, career goals, and scholarship amounts no one can really advise you, since T14 and T20 are fairly worthless designations.

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

I'd genuinely pick the offer that is a better fir for you and not worry too much about the hassle of moving. Sure, moving is a pain... but this is your life. And you will have to live with this decision for years to come.

As rad law points out, it would be helpful to know more. But as far as school preference, I would say moving is definitely worth it if you actually have a preference here. If moving were not a factor, where would you go based off of money, family, and geographical preferences? Pick that school.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby thecilent » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Tell us the schools!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:36 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I'd genuinely pick the offer that is a better fir for you and not worry too much about the hassle of moving. Sure, moving is a pain... but this is your life. And you will have to live with this decision for years to come.

As rad law points out, it would be helpful to know more. But as far as school preference, I would say moving is definitely worth it if you actually have a preference here. If moving were not a factor, where would you go based off of money, family, and geographical preferences? Pick that school.


TITCR. Throw moving completely out of your decision making process. I know it is a huge pain in the ass (no one hates moving more than me), but this is a true life-altering decision. If you had been accepted at the same time with these offers, which one would you have attended? Figure that out, and attend accordingly.

User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby softey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:42 pm

rad law wrote:
softey wrote:Got the wait list call... two weeks before orientation.

Thoughts about a last-minute, coast-to-coast switch from a top 20 to a top 14? This will include loss of deposit, canceling of a lease, driving a car cross country, getting a new lease, etc.


Without the schools, career goals, and scholarship amounts no one can really advise you, since T14 and T20 are fairly worthless designations.


Yeah. I guess my original description was lacking the important parts. I would however like to remain fairly anonymous about the specifics (i.e. schools) for what I think are obvious reasons. I was just trying to tap the board for general thoughts about last-minute switches --perhaps not specific advise as my post may have originally suggested. Thanks for the help so far. I've gotten kind of internal about this, fearing that staying, or defecting, may, obviously, affect my future and that each day I wait makes the physical move more challenging (driving coast to coast takes some time regardless of how quickly I do it, as does transferring loan receivers).

User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby softey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Knockglock wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I'd genuinely pick the offer that is a better fir for you and not worry too much about the hassle of moving. Sure, moving is a pain... but this is your life. And you will have to live with this decision for years to come.

As rad law points out, it would be helpful to know more. But as far as school preference, I would say moving is definitely worth it if you actually have a preference here. If moving were not a factor, where would you go based off of money, family, and geographical preferences? Pick that school.


If you had been accepted at the same time with these offers, which one would you have attended? Figure that out, and attend accordingly.

A ha. THANKS!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:45 pm

softey wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I'd genuinely pick the offer that is a better fir for you and not worry too much about the hassle of moving. Sure, moving is a pain... but this is your life. And you will have to live with this decision for years to come.

As rad law points out, it would be helpful to know more. But as far as school preference, I would say moving is definitely worth it if you actually have a preference here. If moving were not a factor, where would you go based off of money, family, and geographical preferences? Pick that school.


If you had been accepted at the same time with these offers, which one would you have attended? Figure that out, and attend accordingly.

A ha. THANKS!


Sensing sarcasm. Well what kind of answers do you expect when you post a question like that, and no specifics :roll:?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby Grizz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:48 pm

softey wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I'd genuinely pick the offer that is a better fir for you and not worry too much about the hassle of moving. Sure, moving is a pain... but this is your life. And you will have to live with this decision for years to come.

As rad law points out, it would be helpful to know more. But as far as school preference, I would say moving is definitely worth it if you actually have a preference here. If moving were not a factor, where would you go based off of money, family, and geographical preferences? Pick that school.


If you had been accepted at the same time with these offers, which one would you have attended? Figure that out, and attend accordingly.

A ha. THANKS!


Don't forget about money.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby Iconoclast » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Knockglock wrote:Throw moving completely out of your decision making process. I know it is a huge pain in the ass (no one hates moving more than me), but this is a true life-altering decision. If you had been accepted at the same time with these offers, which one would you have attended? Figure that out, and attend accordingly.


+1

User avatar
softey
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby softey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Knockglock wrote:
softey wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I'd genuinely pick the offer that is a better fir for you and not worry too much about the hassle of moving. Sure, moving is a pain... but this is your life. And you will have to live with this decision for years to come.

As rad law points out, it would be helpful to know more. But as far as school preference, I would say moving is definitely worth it if you actually have a preference here. If moving were not a factor, where would you go based off of money, family, and geographical preferences? Pick that school.


If you had been accepted at the same time with these offers, which one would you have attended? Figure that out, and attend accordingly.

A ha. THANKS!


Sensing sarcasm. Well what kind of answers do you expect when you post a question like that, and no specifics :roll:?

No, that was actually helpful. I didn't see it from that perspective. so again, Thanks.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:00 pm

softey wrote:No, that was actually helpful. I didn't see it from that perspective. so again, Thanks.


It is the correct response. While it may seem like a hassle now to move and change your plans, thinking of the offers had you had them in May will give you a clearer choice to make that is unfettered by your current, temporary concerns.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Last Minute Acceptances

Postby Knock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 pm

softey wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
softey wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
If you had been accepted at the same time with these offers, which one would you have attended? Figure that out, and attend accordingly.

A ha. THANKS!


Sensing sarcasm. Well what kind of answers do you expect when you post a question like that, and no specifics :roll:?

No, that was actually helpful. I didn't see it from that perspective. so again, Thanks.


Oh okay, my apologies. Good luck with your decision and don't be afraid to trust your gut. I find sometimes that when i'm making important decisions it is helpful to talk it out with a friend, not that they give me good advice, but by articulating my reasons my decisions seems to be a little clearer and I can decide one way or the other easier. Good luck, and congratulations on even having to make this decision :mrgreen:.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests