Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: housing close to Georgetown Law Center
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:20 pm
Posts: 80
Hey all, I just graduated from a LLM program and is going to DC for an intern with the SEC while preparing for the Oct. LSAT. I found out that GLC is really close to the SEC so I was wondering whether I could find housing close to GLC. Could any of you give me some advice?
Thanks a lot! (have been trying to find a place for a month but no clue yet, pain...)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: housing close to Georgetown Law Center
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:40 am
Posts: 100
I've had a lot of friends have luck finding apartments in the DC area on Craigslist

Go to http://www.wmata.com to check out the subway system. Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: housing close to Georgetown Law Center
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm
Posts: 399
hncsarge34 wrote:
Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.


Eh, yes and no. Housing throughout most of the DC area is very expensive (from NOVA to NW, etc). OP, have you considered living near Capitol Hill? I used to know several people who roomed together in the area and it's within walking distance to GULC. If not, I would recommend finding a roommate in a place close to a metro station and split costs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: housing close to Georgetown Law Center
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:20 pm
Posts: 80
wadeny wrote:
hncsarge34 wrote:
Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.

Still looking for housing...I've fed up with craigslist. almost hoaxed 5 times! I don't know why I have such bad luck! I heard Capitol Hill is not really safe? I am now commuting 2 hours everyday...fed up by the metro too!
Eh, yes and no. Housing throughout most of the DC area is very expensive (from NOVA to NW, etc). OP, have you considered living near Capitol Hill? I used to know several people who roomed together in the area and it's within walking distance to GULC. If not, I would recommend finding a roommate in a place close to a metro station and split costs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: housing close to Georgetown Law Center
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:20 pm
Posts: 80
hncsarge34 wrote:
I've had a lot of friends have luck finding apartments in the DC area on Craigslist
Thank you! I went to a a place advertised on craigslist again today and the guy did not want to sign a lease. shady place... I am kind of desperate. with the lsat coming...
Go to http://www.wmata.com to check out the subway system. Apartments are exponentially cheaper once you get outside of the DC city limits and you could use the metro to get to the SEC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: housing close to Georgetown Law Center
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am
Posts: 2355
Capitol Hill is perfectly safe- it's almost all yuppies.

Share a rowhouse with people. I don't really think commuting from the burbs is a great idea. To get seriously cheaper than Capitol Hill, you have to go so far outside the city that commuting would be a major drag. Besides, even the far-out places get expensive if you are close to a metro. I find the best screener for Craigslist is writing ability. People who fill their emails with text-speak and make numerous grammatical errors are much more likely to be sketchy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: housing close to Georgetown Law Center
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:44 pm
Posts: 17
nealric wrote:
Capitol Hill is perfectly safe- it's almost all yuppies.

Share a rowhouse with people. I don't really think commuting from the burbs is a great idea. To get seriously cheaper than Capitol Hill, you have to go so far outside the city that commuting would be a major drag. Besides, even the far-out places get expensive if you are close to a metro. I find the best screener for Craigslist is writing ability. People who fill their emails with text-speak and make numerous grammatical errors are much more likely to be sketchy.



This.

I live in this area, it will likely cost you more to live outside DC and commute in/out of the city (unless you're far away from the metro like nealric said, I know people who live 1 mi from the metro in arlington and pay $600 a month). Housing in popular suburbs like clarendon, bethesda, etc close to the metro runs around the same cost as sharing a row house on the hill. Plus, nothing beats a 5 minute walk to work... (and ~15 to GULC)

I found my house on craigslist and had no problems, i also know people who have had luck just walking around the hill streets and calling the phone numbers on "for rent" signs outside of houses.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB