New vs Used Books Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
runandplay

New

New vs Used Books

Post by runandplay » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 am

Sorry if this topic has been approached before, but the search isn't working today... As an undergrad I rarely bought books, and when I did they were always used or older edition. In law school I plan on actually opening up a book, so I was wondering whether I should buy them used or new? I'm not sure how much a distraction previous highlighting will be on my reading, etc. I was thinking about buying all the shorter books used and purchasing the casebooks new, for at least the first semester... Thanks!

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Re: New vs Used Books

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 am

Buying the casebooks new will be very expensive. I usually email my professor before he posts the books list, then buy them from amazon. If you purchase them early enough, you will get a better deal. Whether the highlighting is distracting depends on you.

jennylynn

Bronze

Post by jennylynn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:36 pm

I got new for 1L just because I knew I needed to really just wade through the text myself and not use another person's notes as a crutch. This year I'm buying used, but making sure that the highlighting/writing is minimal. You can get a book with barely any handwriting for almost half retail if you look.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:02 pm

jennylynn wrote:I got new for 1L just because I knew I needed to really just wade through the text myself and not use another person's notes as a crutch. This year I'm buying used, but making sure that the highlighting/writing is minimal. You can get a book with barely any handwriting for almost half retail if you look.
Some good advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”