Is it worth it? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
splitterhopeful

New

Is it worth it?

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 am

I was just reading the First Tier Toilet blog...perhaps a little doomsday-ish, but there is a reality of underemployed JD holders out there. I have a 2.5 and a 165, so obviously I am not getting scholarship money unless I go to a TTT with horrible job prospects (and I probably won't get in anywhere with wonderful job prospects either, given the economy). I am signed up for the LSAT in October to see if I can improve my score. It was free--thanks LSAC fee waiver!

Despite my hesitance, I have to say that last year I made a whopping $13k with my BA degree and I am also currently in 10k of credit card debt. Luckily, I am free of student loan debt. However, is it worth it to go to law school? I can't see my situation getting any worse.

I have also thought about going back to earn a BS, but then I would have two undergraduate degrees...however, a BS in Computer Science or something similar, might actually allow me to have a better, more secure career. I am just worried that it won't and I will spend 3-4 extra years earning yet another degree and have little to show for it. Plus, it's like "Hey, I have given up on my BA in English from a public TTT...let's try this again and hopefully it won't be another worthless four years of college!" failure story.

Any advice? Appreciate it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 am

Retake.
Get 170+.
Go to WUSTL/UMN/UIUC/other splitter-friendly school with $$ or ED to NW.
???
Profit
Get laid off
Write scamblog

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 am

no, a JD is not a golden ticket out of debt. especially with that gpa, i would not advise trying to do law school. you can find a job that pays significantly more than $13k, even with an english degree.

also, what the hell were you doing that paid you so much nothing??

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:00 am

I could make more than 13k a year serving.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 am

romothesavior wrote:Retake.
Get 170+.
???
Profit
Get laid off
Write scamblog
Romo, one of your best posts yet.

I think you could get money at a T1 with that LSAT and GPA. Probably not in the T30 category, but T1 nonetheless.

That said, I wouldn't go for that option. I'd either retake if you're serious about law school and shoot for a T25 with money or I'd look into a different career path. (Accounting has worked out very well for me, and you could probably do that in two more years.) Only pursue law school if you want to be a lawyer and are in it for the long haul; the market is brutal, and law school itself isn't a cake walk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:09 am

jayn3 wrote:no, a JD is not a golden ticket out of debt. especially with that gpa, i would not advise trying to do law school. you can find a job that pays significantly more than $13k, even with an english degree.

also, what the hell were you doing that paid you so much nothing??
Temp work plus several months (and $3,000 worth, not included in that $13k #) of unemployment.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:09 am

romothesavior wrote:Retake.
Get 170+.
???
Profit
Get laid off
Write scamblog

Very nice.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:10 am

Serious question though... how hard/how much did you study? A 5+ point increase will do you wonders.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:15 am

romothesavior wrote:Serious question though... how hard/how much did you study? A 5+ point increase will do you wonders.
I studied for quite a few months and averaged around a 169 on my practice tests. I topped out at 174 with a couple other 170 scores sprinkled in. I was averaging around -0 to -1 on the logic games, froze on test day and ended up with a -6. That's where I lost my points..also, the test was 2 hours away and the one I am taking in October is 5 minutes away at my undergrad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 am

The wild speculation and sweeping generalizations made on this board by those with no personal experience are somewhere between humorous and troubling.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 am

splitterhopeful wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Serious question though... how hard/how much did you study? A 5+ point increase will do you wonders.
I studied for quite a few months and averaged around a 169 on my practice tests. I topped out at 174 with a couple other 170 scores sprinkled in. I was averaging around -0 to -1 on the logic games, froze on test day and ended up with a -6. That's where I lost my points..also, the test was 2 hours away and the one I am taking in October is 5 minutes away at my undergrad.
A 170+ would be huge for you. NW would come into play, as well as money from some T20s.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:17 am

Ty Webb wrote:The wild speculation and sweeping generalizations made on this board by those with no personal experience are somewhere between humorous and troubling.
Please elaborate. I see very little "wild speculation" or "sweeping generalizations" ITT.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:19 am

Go back to school, get your masters, than your PHd, be some wierd professor who lives on campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:20 am

romothesavior wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:The wild speculation and sweeping generalizations made on this board by those with no personal experience are somewhere between humorous and troubling.
Please elaborate. I see very little "wild speculation" or "sweeping generalizations" ITT.
to be fair, my gpa comment was a sweeping generalization. i was reading into OP's tone and didn't see much interest in the law itself, but more on the money.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 am

jayn3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
to be fair, my gpa comment was a sweeping generalization. i was reading into OP's tone and didn't see much interest in the law itself, but more on the money.
C'mon, lets not be so naive and think that this isn't the majority of peoples motivation...

Very few people just LOVE the law. I could get a SA position with my federal agency almost for sure after undergrad (and for sure if I stayed and worked there during my masters), but I rather have more upward mobility in income.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Go back to school, get your masters, than your PHd, be some wierd professor who lives on campus.
God no, and yes $ is a priority...having none sucks.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 am

splitterhopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Go back to school, get your masters, than your PHd, be some wierd professor who lives on campus.
What is your degree in? And why did you originally decide to do it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:37 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
splitterhopeful wrote:
English because I was completely oblivious to the realities of professional employment, and I enjoyed reading and writing essays about literature and philosophy.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:42 am

splitterhopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
splitterhopeful wrote:
English because I was completely oblivious to the realities of professional employment, and I enjoyed reading and writing essays about literature and philosophy.
Generally, people do english to teach. That is probably your only real option right now. Or go get your masters in journalism and try to take that avenue. Otherwise, you just have to do an analysis of the risk-reward that is a law school you could get in to. But I would also suggest a retake.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:43 am

splitterhopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
splitterhopeful wrote:
LOL.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 am

LOL.
:( I know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
splitterhopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
splitterhopeful wrote: God no, and yes $ is a priority...having none sucks.
Generally, people do english to teach. That is probably your only real option right now. Or go get your masters in journalism and try to take that avenue. Otherwise, you just have to do an analysis of the risk-reward that is a law school you could get in to. But I would also suggest a retake.
First you advise him to get a PhD. Any humanities PhD he can get with a 2.5 (or hell a 3.5) isn't worth the paper its printed on. Then you advise him to get a masters in the one field deader than law.

OP - TCR is to retake, get a 170+, and do *whatever* you can for a couple of years to ride out this economy. Preferably something that lets you work on that $10k in CC debt nd not a waste of time and money like another degree. Then go to a T1 and gun for public interest or government work that'll pay off your debt via IBR.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:49 am

I have a philosophy degree from a state school, so I feel your pain.

You can make a decent living wage by temping as a Customer Service Rep. It's not exactly glamorous, but you can pay down that 10k in credit card debts, which should be your absolute first priority before talking about anything else.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:50 am

rayiner wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
splitterhopeful wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

First you advise him to get a PhD. Any humanities PhD he can get with a 2.5 (or hell a 3.5) isn't worth the paper its printed on. Then you advise him to get a masters in the one field deader than law.

OP - TCR is to retake, get a 170+, and do *whatever* you can for a couple of years to ride out this economy. Preferably something that lets you work on that $10k in CC debt nd not a waste of time and money like another degree. Then go to a T1 and gun for public interest or government work that'll pay off your debt via IBR.
The PHD wasn't a serious response. And local journalism? In a secondary market? Not a hard job to get.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:50 am

Z3RO wrote:I have a philosophy degree from a state school, so I feel your pain.

You can make a decent living wage by temping as a Customer Service Rep. It's not exactly glamorous, but you can pay down that 10k in credit card debts, which should be your absolute first priority before talking about anything else.
Yeah how has this not been mentioned? You are a recent college grad with 10k of credit card debt?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”