Networking/taking a partner at a firm out to lunch?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
nixxers

Networking/taking a partner at a firm out to lunch?

Postby nixxers » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Hey guys, earlier in the year when I was trying to figure out where to go to school I talked to this guy who works at a firm in my hometown who attended one of the schools I was considering. He sort of was like "yeah well you could go either way and be fine" and I ultimately decided to go to the other choice. Still, I appreciated our conversation and I think he is a good contact to know and could probs offer some useful advice about what he does. He had said before that if I was around he'd invite me in to see where he works etc etc...do you think it would be weird for me to ask to take him to lunch to thank him and continue our conversation? I was thinking of sending something like this:

Dear Mr. ________,

Hello! I hope you are doing well. We spoke earlier this year about your experience at ______ and your practice at _________. I really appreciated your willingness to talk to me, and while I ultimately decided to attend Harvard Law School, I valued your insights about ______ and the field of law in general. I am home in ______ now and, if you are available, I was wondering if you might let me take you out to lunch as a thank you. I would love to continue our conversation about your work in litigation, and learn more about what your areas of concentration entail. If you will be available sometime in the next two weeks, please let me know!

Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Best wishes,

Matthies

Re: Networking/taking a partner at a firm out to lunch?

Postby Matthies » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:52 pm

nixxers wrote:Hey guys, earlier in the year when I was trying to figure out where to go to school I talked to this guy who works at a firm in my hometown who attended one of the schools I was considering. He sort of was like "yeah well you could go either way and be fine" and I ultimately decided to go to the other choice. Still, I appreciated our conversation and I think he is a good contact to know and could probs offer some useful advice about what he does. He had said before that if I was around he'd invite me in to see where he works etc etc...do you think it would be weird for me to ask to take him to lunch to thank him and continue our conversation? I was thinking of sending something like this:

Dear Mr. ________,

Hello! I hope you are doing well. We spoke earlier this year about your experience at ______ and your practice at _________. I really appreciated your willingness to talk to me, and while I ultimately decided to attend Harvard Law School, I valued your insights about ______ and the field of law in general. I am home in ______ now and, if you are available, I was wondering if you might let me take you out to lunch as a thank you. I would love to continue our conversation about your work in litigation, and learn more about what your areas of concentration entail. If you will be available sometime in the next two weeks, please let me know!

Best wishes,

Yea this is decent enough. try and see whay happens, worst that can happen is he says no, best is he says yes.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Don't take him somewhere cheap.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:44 pm

kalvano wrote:Don't take him somewhere cheap.

Silly.

I think it's a good idea to ask him to lunch. Your letter is appropriate.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Burger King is the credited response here. It clearly was made for kings.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:49 pm

bk1 wrote:

It's a great restaurant!

--ImageRemoved--

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:53 pm

bk1 wrote:

Steak and Shake.

Or Mooyah, if he might be so blessed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Matthies wrote:
nixxers wrote:Hey guys, earlier in the year when I was trying to figure out where to go to school I talked to this guy who works at a firm in my hometown who attended one of the schools I was considering. He sort of was like "yeah well you could go either way and be fine" and I ultimately decided to go to the other choice. Still, I appreciated our conversation and I think he is a good contact to know and could probs offer some useful advice about what he does. He had said before that if I was around he'd invite me in to see where he works etc etc...do you think it would be weird for me to ask to take him to lunch to thank him and continue our conversation? I was thinking of sending something like this:

Dear Mr. ________,

Best wishes,

Yea this is decent enough. try and see whay happens, worst that can happen is he says no, best is he says yes.

I did almost this exact thing today it went swimmingly. Matthies, you would be proud.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Dear Mr. ________,

Best wishes,

I did almost this exact thing today it went swimmingly. Matthies, you would be proud.

Nice job mnan

Return to “Law School FAQ”