Please, In need of Advice/Feedback Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
General Tso

Gold

Re: Please, In need of Advice/Feedback

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:41 pm

kalvano wrote:Doesn't a manager gig pay pretty well? I know full store manager does.
I am curious as well...I am pretty sure that grocery store managers earn around 6 figures.

what about target?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:33 pm

General Tso wrote:
kalvano wrote:Doesn't a manager gig pay pretty well? I know full store manager does.
I am curious as well...I am pretty sure that grocery store managers earn around 6 figures.

what about target?
Depends on the size of store, number of employees, the company, etc. I'm in recruiting and I've recruited a lot of store managers in the past. The VAST majority of retail store managers make between 35k - 60k.

Again - a lot of headaches for these positions and there are easier ways to make $40k where you don't have to put up with working weekends for the rest of your life, until 9pm on a semi-regular basis, retail employee retention and implied headaches of hiring and firing those folks. Also, the ones I've spoken to work 60 hours / wk on a regular basis.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:42 pm

TommyK wrote:
General Tso wrote:

what about target?
Depends on the size of store, number of employees, the company, etc. I'm in recruiting and I've recruited a lot of store managers in the past. The VAST majority of retail store managers make between 35k - 60k.

Again - a lot of headaches for these positions and there are easier ways to make $40k where you don't have to put up with working weekends for the rest of your life, until 9pm on a semi-regular basis, retail employee retention and implied headaches of hiring and firing those folks. Also, the ones I've spoken to work 60 hours / wk on a regular basis.
Hey just like lawyers, but without the debt!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Matthies wrote:
TommyK wrote:
General Tso wrote:

what about target?

But come on, wouldn't you rather tell a woman you're an attorney than a Wal-Mart manager?*

*oh god, please, i'm joking... don't flip out and assume I think that's a valid reason to go to law school.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:14 pm

TommyK wrote: But come on, wouldn't you rather tell a woman you're an attorney than a Wal-Mart manager?*

*oh god, please, i'm joking... don't flip out and assume I think that's a valid reason to go to law school.
Well if slectiity is any measure of the womns respomnse thier are fewer Wal-Mart managers than there are lawyers, they probably make more, and you can get an employee dicount!

Eeeek I just looked there are 3,800 Wal-mart stores in the US, I think that's like the size of just one of gerotown laws 1L sections

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:56 pm

Gosh, I hate to agree with the trolls, but make sure you are 100% committed to law school before you go through with it.
Don't get me wrong, I am 100% committed to law school... I would never invest all of that money into my education and than let it go down the crapper... What I am not 100% sure of, is if I want to work 80 hours a week, stressed out of my gord, and have to compete for decent paying jobs after all of my time and hard work in law school... I am not sure if 100% committed to the former is the same thing as being 100% committed to the ladder. I know a good amount of lawyers, and everyone seems very stressed or just real tight ass's. And I know they are all joking, but for some reason every single person says DON'T go to law school. I feel that people who like their jobs would have good things to say about it (like I said I know its a joke, but after you hear the same from 20 out of 20 people, it begins to raise some questions).

Lets be serious, being a manager at Target is in no way, shape or form what I want to be doing. Sure, the HR manager and the higher ups all feed you bullshit about how you can make 6 figures after x amount of years, blah blah blah. I need to do something that I am proud of. Is law it? I don't know, but I sure as hell know that it will be a step up from managing the half-wit retards at Target.

That is the problem I seem to be having. Sure I probably could be making around 80k in a few more years, but its Target... Not exactly the reason I went to college

But come on, wouldn't you rather tell a woman you're an attorney than a Wal-Mart manager?*
Of course I dont think thats a valid reason to go to law school either, but as blunt as it is, you need to do something your proud of... Me personally, I dont think being a manager of Target is that prideworthy, no offense to anyone who does this or knows someone who is doing this (ME!!!)

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:28 am

From what I understand, those that go into public service / gov't jobs enjoy a substantially better work/life balance. If compensation isn't what drives you, but you still are drawn to law, this might be a very strong possibility. You, like me, will probably be facing a substantial paycut taking your first job, but it could be worth it if you have the time to enjoy life.

Think_lax86

New

Post by Think_lax86 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Thats exactly where my uncertainty lies... I want to enjoy life, but most of the lawyers I know either are extremely stressed/work 80 hour weeks, or are pompous assjockeys... Id really rather not be either...

This is why I had been inquiring about the MBA/JD degree because if I do fall into that path of pompous assjockey-dom, or work those 80 hour weeks, I figured with the joint degree I would have more versatility. The problem is, from everything I have been hearing, reading and researching, everyone and their mother has an MBA and JDs are also becoming overly saturated for the amount of legal jobs out there. How can anyone be 100% certain that becoming a lawyer is what they want to do when the road to get their is paved with 3 years of extremely demanding work and over 100k in loans, only to enter a job market that is getting gloomier and gloomier by the month?

Is the dual degree a way to get a leg up on the competition, especially the people that go to t20 schools? (sorry to all of you child prodigy's out there that fall into this group)

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:45 pm

I have no experience with said dual degrees, and likely never will. I don't see a whole lot of value in them. But as with almost any topic on TLS, I'm sure the opinions vary wildly. I'm just not a big fan of either 1) extending the time I'm in school and extending the amount of debt or 2) dilluting the law classes I have by grabbing another advanced degree simultaneously.

No matter what anybody says here, you will never know 100% if you will enjoy practicing law. There are few certainties in life and $100k+ is a big risk. I'm of the opinion that law might turn people into douchebags, but there's also a selection bias here. People who are drawn to defining the gray of the legal code, nitpicking about details and at its heart, law by its nature has an adversarial aspect. So in the end, I think douchebags are drawn to law. If you have any doubt of this, I invite you to continue to stroll the forums at TLS :)

Try to find out what the job would be really like. See if there are any firms you could intern with, do informational interviews with a DA, see what their lifestyle are like. It may even be worth it to leave your job and see if you can find some sort of support staff position with a law firm. You would be taking a pay cut and it's difficult to leave a nice-paying job in this market, but I would rather take on this burden and find out if law school & the legal career is right for me than to find out too late.

The more I think about it, the less debt-averse I'm becoming. Assuming that IBR payment plans are still in place in the next 15 years, it should be fine. I have no problem working for the government, gaining exposure and experience, building a reputation and eventually striking out on my own if the market is right and the mood strikes me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:46 pm

dual degrees are not usually good ideas

you should pick either JD or MBA and go with it...in addition to the skepticism from employers, times are too tight to sit out an extra year and spend the extra $$ on an unused degree

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Think_lax86 wrote: I am not 100% certain that law and the 3 years I need to dedicate to schooling is really what I want to
Think_lax86 wrote:What I am not 100% sure of, is if I want
...to compete for a job
Think_lax86 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am 100% committed to law school
Think_lax86 wrote:I want to enjoy life, but most of the lawyers I know either are extremely stressed/work 80 hour weeks, or are pompous assjockeys... Id really rather not be either...
Think_lax86 wrote:Do I want to be a lawyer? Possibly.
Don't go to law school until you know you actually want to go to law school. And don't get a JD/MBA because you are afraid the JD alone may turn you into an assjockey.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”