BigLaw from University of Texas

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:49 am

About what ranking of the class do you need to be hired into BigLaw from University of Texas.

I know Texas (Houston and Dallas) is a pretty insular market and LOVE their own.

Is it 25%,50%, 60%, ???

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:50 am

Top 17.854%.

User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:52 am

kalvano wrote:Top 17.854%.


Damn, thought it was 18.457%

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby sternc » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:55 am

Hilarious. Does anyone actually know the answer to the OP's question. I know it clever and hilarious to say something like "18.457%", but it means nothing. The OP meant this as a legitimate question.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:01 am

JerrySeinfeld wrote:
kalvano wrote:Top 17.854%.


Damn, thought it was 18.457%



I'd say it really depends. Do you mean Biglaw in Texas, or nationally?

In Texas, going off what I know (not a ton, since Biglaw isn't my goal), probably top 20% or so would be very comfortable. Someone with more experience or knowledge please speak up if I am incorrect.

Nationally, probably top 5% or so to be comfortable.


sternc wrote:Hilarious. Does anyone actually know the answer to the OP's question. I know it clever and hilarious to say something like "18.457%", but it means nothing. The OP meant this as a legitimate question.


The OP said 18.457%. Whine, whine.

User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:13 pm

kalvano wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:
kalvano wrote:Top 17.854%.


Damn, thought it was 18.457%



I'd say it really depends. Do you mean Biglaw in Texas, or nationally?

In Texas, going off what I know (not a ton, since Biglaw isn't my goal), probably top 20% or so would be very comfortable. Someone with more experience or knowledge please speak up if I am incorrect.

Nationally, probably top 5% or so to be comfortable.


sternc wrote:Hilarious. Does anyone actually know the answer to the OP's question. I know it clever and hilarious to say something like "18.457%", but it means nothing. The OP meant this as a legitimate question.


The OP said 18.457%. Whine, whine.


So BigLaw from UT = Top 20%?

I thought it was something like top 50% at UT could get Texas BigLaw?

littlebit
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby littlebit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Top half has an excellent chance. It really helps if you have some work experience. You need to do something substantial and law related in your 1L summer. Summer school and/or studying abroad DOES NOT count. Even those at the top of the class with no work history for 1L summer had a difficult time with securing a job they wanted as a 2L. Interview skills are important, ties to the area you are interviewing are also key. If you don't have ties, you need to convince them you are going to stay (if you are interviewing for a Texas spot). I also think it helps to spend some time networking, meeting and greeting (you have lots of opportunities to do this if you pay attention). Make sure those you meet see you have a high level of energy and that you can make their lives easier if they hire you. Everyone is smart and knows how to work hard or they wouldn't be at Texas Law. I cannot emphasize enough that being out in the community and really getting to know your professors (they have lots of connections) is VERY helpful. Don't expect to live in a cave, get top marks and then be successful landing a big law job. It could happen, but to increase your chances you need to have the whole package. Most of my classmates are splitting the summer between two top firms that are paying market.
Last edited by littlebit on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby rando » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:39 pm

littlebit wrote:Top half has an excellent chance. It really helps if you have some work experience. Interview skills are important, ties to the area you are interviewing are also key. If you don't have ties, you need to convince them you are going to stay (if you are interviewing for a Texas spot). I also think it helps to spend some time networking, meeting and greeting (you have lots of opportunities to do this if you pay attention). Make sure those you meet see you have a high level of energy and that you can make their lives easier if they hire you. Everyone is smart and knows how to work hard or they wouldn't be at Texas Law. I cannot emphasize enough that being out in the community and really getting to know your professors (they have lots of connections) is VERY helpful. Don't expect to live in a cave, get top marks and then be successful landing a big law job. It could happen, but to increase your chances you need to have the whole package. Most of my classmates are splitting the summer between two top firms that are paying market.


This reads like a UT career services pamphlet on getting a job.

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby sternc » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:43 pm

It sure doesn't sound like the typical doom and gloom we get on this board.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Nobody knows. Top 1/2 is almost certainly optimistic in this economy.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:52 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:So BigLaw from UT = Top 20%?

I thought it was something like top 50% at UT could get Texas BigLaw?



To be very comfortable with your chances, I'd say top 20%. I'm sure it's possible with being in the top half, but top 20% would be almost a lock, I would think.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:So BigLaw from UT = Top 20%?

I thought it was something like top 50% at UT could get Texas BigLaw?



To be very comfortable with your chances, I'd say top 20%. I'm sure it's possible with being in the top half, but top 20% would be almost a lock, I would think.


Top 20% isn't a lock anywhere outside of YHS. A better way to phrase it would be that with top 20% grades at UT, there exist a number of firms that OP could bid for where his grades wouldn't be what keeps him from getting an offer.

OP still has to identify those firms, bid on them appropriately, not get screwed out of interviews by the bid lottery, not screw up the screening interviews, and make some sort of impression during the callback.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:04 pm

rayiner wrote:
kalvano wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:So BigLaw from UT = Top 20%?

I thought it was something like top 50% at UT could get Texas BigLaw?



To be very comfortable with your chances, I'd say top 20%. I'm sure it's possible with being in the top half, but top 20% would be almost a lock, I would think.


Top 20% isn't a lock anywhere outside of YHS. A better way to phrase it would be that with top 20% grades at UT, there exist a number of firms that OP could bid for where his grades wouldn't be what keeps him from getting an offer.

OP still has to identify those firms, bid on them appropriately, not get screwed out of interviews by the bid lottery, not screw up the screening interviews, and make some sort of impression during the callback.



To be clear, a lock at Texas Biglaw. Not NYC or D.C. or something like that.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:07 pm

kalvano wrote:
rayiner wrote:
kalvano wrote:

To be very comfortable with your chances, I'd say top 20%. I'm sure it's possible with being in the top half, but top 20% would be almost a lock, I would think.


Top 20% isn't a lock anywhere outside of YHS. A better way to phrase it would be that with top 20% grades at UT, there exist a number of firms that OP could bid for where his grades wouldn't be what keeps him from getting an offer.

OP still has to identify those firms, bid on them appropriately, not get screwed out of interviews by the bid lottery, not screw up the screening interview


To be clear, a lock at Texas Biglaw. Not NYC or D.C. or something like that.


I know. Texas has been hit by ITE too.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:12 pm

rayiner wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rayiner wrote:
kalvano wrote:

To be very comfortable with your chances, I'd say top 20%. I'm sure it's possible with being in the top half, but top 20% would be almost a lock, I would think.


Top 20% isn't a lock anywhere outside of YHS. A better way to phrase it would be that with top 20% grades at UT, there exist a number of firms that OP could bid for where his grades wouldn't be what keeps him from getting an offer.

OP still has to identify those firms, bid on them appropriately, not get screwed out of interviews by the bid lottery, not screw up the screening interview


To be clear, a lock at Texas Biglaw. Not NYC or D.C. or something like that.


I know. Texas has been hit by ITE too.



True, but UT is going to be their first choice. I'm assuming he would be OK with any of the major Texas cities. Top 20%, he'll find something at a good firm.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby rayiner » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:20 pm

kalvano wrote:True, but UT is going to be their first choice. I'm assuming he would be OK with any of the major Texas cities. Top 20%, he'll find something at a good firm.


I think he will too. Grades will not keep OP from getting a good big firm job in Texas, but bidding poorly, not standing out in interviews, etc, will. Before ITE those grades would be a lock --- firms would take you as long as you had a pulse. Now, firms are looking to ding you, so even with good grades you're not a lock.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:21 pm

rayiner wrote:
kalvano wrote:True, but UT is going to be their first choice. I'm assuming he would be OK with any of the major Texas cities. Top 20%, he'll find something at a good firm.


but bidding poorly, not standing out in interviews



Absolutely. I'm just hoping he would already know that.

littlebit
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby littlebit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I am a rising 3L at UT law. If you do what you need to do, you can get a great job. That does mean you have to network, do something law related during 1L summer (summer school and study abroad doesn't count), and "fit in". You don't have to be on LR (although that helps), or the top 20% (this also helps) but you better bring something else to the table. The majority of folks without jobs, weren't really paying attention or interested in doing what it takes. In fact, most that want jobs during their 2nd and 3rd year can get interesting work, around 15 - 20 hours a week at firms in Austin. It will not come to you, but it is there if you make the appropriate effort.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:56 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 pm

NYAssociate wrote:I don't understand why people think UT is #1 for Texas Biglaw. If you have the requisite market connections, any T14 will blow UT out of the water (except maybe Georgetown).



Texas is a pretty insular market. They have a big preference for Texas schools and Texas people.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:25 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
kalvano wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:I don't understand why people think UT is #1 for Texas Biglaw. If you have the requisite market connections, any T14 will blow UT out of the water (except maybe Georgetown).



Texas is a pretty insular market. They have a big preference for Texas schools and Texas people.


I think I've read "insular" twice in this thread, and I think I've already addressed that point with my comment on connections. If the student has the requisite market connection, a T10 will blow UT out of the water in terms of placement. This is a fact, at least from what I know about the big three (Baker Botts, Fulbright, and V&E).



If you have connections, anything is possible. If I had connections, I'd be doing some job 30 hours a week and making $150K a year for it.

Take two random people not from Texas and with no connections to Texas. One goes to Berkley, the other goes to UT. Both want to work in Texas. I'd put money on the person from UT having more success than the person from Berkley.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:26 pm

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:28 pm

rayiner wrote:Nobody knows. Top 1/2 is almost certainly optimistic in this economy.


Absolutely. Way too optimistic.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: BigLaw from University of Texas

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 pm

This is not really responding to my post at all. Anyways, good night.


What NYAssociate means by "requisite connections" is "meaningful ties to the area," not "Uncle that is partner at Baker Botts." HTH.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests