Accommodations in law school Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
robin600

Gold

Accommodations in law school

Post by robin600 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:50 am

I'm probably going to need accommodations in law school, especially during finals, for a degenerative eye condition I have that causes partial blindness. I received accommodations for the LSAT.

Has anyone applied for accommodations in law school? If so I'd love to hear and talk about the process with you. I'm applying right now and would like to know if law schools are more or less lenient than LSAC. Any info would be appreciated though! Thanks!

TommyK

Silver

Re: Accommodations in law school

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 pm

robin600 wrote:I'm probably going to need accommodations in law school, especially during finals, for a degenerative eye condition I have that causes partial blindness. I received accommodations for the LSAT.

Has anyone applied for accommodations in law school? If so I'd love to hear and talk about the process with you. I'm applying right now and would like to know if law schools are more or less lenient than LSAC. Any info would be appreciated though! Thanks!
My buddy was able to get accommodations in law school for examinations. Work with disability services at the university. If you were able to get accommodations for the LSAT, I would bet a ridiculous amount of money that you will be able to get it during law school. It sounds like you have a legit and transparent reason. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but you could always talk to DSS after you get accepted, but before you attend and see what their policies are.

Cheers,
TK

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:44 am

I helped my (wheel-chair wielding) friend with accommodations inquiries when he was checking out schools in my area. At one school, the building housing the disabilities services office was not handicapped accessible. That should be a no-brainer, methinks.

I'd say it's worth dropping a line to the schools when you apply. It probably won't be an issues, but if they're rude or don't get back to you, it might be a red flag.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I helped my (wheel-chair wielding) friend with accommodations inquiries when he was checking out schools in my area. At one school, the building housing the disabilities services office was not handicapped accessible. That should be a no-brainer, methinks.

I'd say it's worth dropping a line to the schools when you apply. It probably won't be an issues, but if they're rude or don't get back to you, it might be a red flag.
I'm guessing the OP was referring more to extended testing times, or ability to take the test alone instead of with the rest of the cohort, since he/she specified that there was a particular focus on finals.

I really wouldn't advise talking to the admission committee about your request for accommodations. While a lot of people have modern views of learning disabilities, there are still people who equate it to lower intelligence. Just get admitted, then talk to disability services.

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:16 am

robin600 wrote:I'm probably going to need accommodations in law school, especially during finals, for a degenerative eye condition I have that causes partial blindness. I received accommodations for the LSAT.

I have MS, and developed optic neuritis (w/ near blindness in one eye) during finals this year. My school's administration was incredibly supportive, and made multiple accommodations (printing out exams in large type, extra time for taking the exam, breaks to rest my eyes, etc.) My neurologist believes that I should continue to ask for some of these accommodations going forward, and while I haven't yet decided whether I need to, I believe my school would be amenable to such accommodations, particularly if I sought them out ahead of time and had the needs medically documented.

My school also provides access to a non-law school "advocate" on disability issues, just to make sure my interests are protected. I didn't need the advocate, but it was great to know she was there, just in case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”