All or nothing?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
hennenr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:18 pm

All or nothing?

Postby hennenr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm

With a 2.82 GPA I am banking on a 170+ lsat to get me into a decent law school but my question is if for some reason I score in the 163-166 range would it be best for me to enroll in a lower tier school (Golden Gate or John Marshall - Chicago) or pursue another path besides law school. Please offer relevant advice because I'm really not interested in responses that start arguments about whether it is worth it to attend GGU or JM. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: All or nothing?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:48 pm

different career path

shutterbug
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:17 am

Re: All or nothing?

Postby shutterbug » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:58 pm

I love it when people on this site, all of whom want to become lawyers themselves, advocate "different career path" to others.

To the OP: Get as high an LSAT score you can and aim high. A 163-166 will get you something MUCH better than the schools you listed. If those schools are the only ones you get into, then go to one of them.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby ggocat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:02 pm

If you don't attend a national school, focus on limiting your debt.

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:02 pm

hennenr wrote:With a 2.82 GPA I am banking on a 170+ lsat to get me into a decent law school but my question is if for some reason I score in the 163-166 range would it be best for me to enroll in a lower tier school (Golden Gate or John Marshall - Chicago) or pursue another path besides law school. Please offer relevant advice because I'm really not interested in responses that start arguments about whether it is worth it to attend GGU or JM. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.


I got into a lower T1 with a 2.3x, 166, and my last semester of college clocking in at a 1.32 GPA.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby Hey-O » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
hennenr wrote:With a 2.82 GPA I am banking on a 170+ lsat to get me into a decent law school but my question is if for some reason I score in the 163-166 range would it be best for me to enroll in a lower tier school (Golden Gate or John Marshall - Chicago) or pursue another path besides law school. Please offer relevant advice because I'm really not interested in responses that start arguments about whether it is worth it to attend GGU or JM. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.


I got into a lower T1 with a 2.3x, 166, and my last semester of college clocking in at a 1.32 GPA.


Yikes! 1.32 Nice work.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:05 pm

hennenr wrote:With a 2.82 GPA I am banking on a 170+ lsat to get me into a decent law school but my question is if for some reason I score in the 163-166 range would it be best for me to enroll in a lower tier school (Golden Gate or John Marshall - Chicago) or pursue another path besides law school. Please offer relevant advice because I'm really not interested in responses that start arguments about whether it is worth it to attend GGU or JM. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.


I think you can pretty much expect for everyone to say "no, it's not worth it". But that is the nature of this forum.

I know that GGU, although many students are happy with their experience there and feel as though they have some options for work, they are in dire straits in the economy and with the amount of debt, without a scholarship, that you accrue.

If you are going to a 3rd or 4th tier school, I'd suggest looking in smaller markets (no SF, Chicago, LA, NY, etc) because the competition will likely be less and the fact that you attend a 3rd or 4th tier school will matter less.

It just seems in your interest to work as hard as possible on studying for the LSAT, and seeing where things are when the dust settles.

Alternatively, you could also look at applying to some part-time programs, which generally have lower entry requirements, then either stay PT or transfer to full-time after a year.

You have options, just work hard on the LSAT now and don't be discouraged if this is something you truly want to do.

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
hennenr wrote:With a 2.82 GPA I am banking on a 170+ lsat to get me into a decent law school but my question is if for some reason I score in the 163-166 range would it be best for me to enroll in a lower tier school (Golden Gate or John Marshall - Chicago) or pursue another path besides law school. Please offer relevant advice because I'm really not interested in responses that start arguments about whether it is worth it to attend GGU or JM. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.


I got into a lower T1 with a 2.3x, 166, and my last semester of college clocking in at a 1.32 GPA.


Yikes! 1.32 Nice work.


That wasn't even my worst semester. :shock: :cry:

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Ty Webb wrote:I got into a lower T1 with a 2.3x, 166, and my last semester of college clocking in at a 1.32 GPA.


Wow, I'm impressed.

Ok, then maybe GGU is way under-shooting for the OP if he does decent on the LSAT.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:09 pm

ggocat wrote:If you don't attend a national school, focus on limiting your debt.


And here the crux of his situation. No decent school is going to give a 2.82/163 anything near a full ride. Nobody wants to give people with a low GPA a full ride because 2.8 is below median at all but the most rancid TTTs.

User avatar
juevonate
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 am

Re: All or nothing?

Postby juevonate » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:15 pm

OP: Why do you want to go to law school?

User avatar
jennylynn
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby jennylynn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:17 pm

If you want to go to law school, go to law school. :)

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:18 pm

jennylynn wrote:If you want to go to law school, go to law school. :)

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: All or nothing?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:20 pm

shutterbug wrote:I love it when people on this site, all of whom want to become lawyers themselves, advocate "different career path" to others.

To the OP: Get as high an LSAT score you can and aim high. A 163-166 will get you something MUCH better than the schools you listed. If those schools are the only ones you get into, then go to one of them.


He said if he did so badly that he had to go to golden gate. Giving blow jobs for nickles and crack is a better career move than going to golden gate.

hennenr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby hennenr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:33 pm

juevonate wrote:OP: Why do you want to go to law school?

Because I have always been interested in the law and from what I have read about law school and practicing law I feel it would be a great fit for my personality. I think it would make me happy.

User avatar
juevonate
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 am

Re: All or nothing?

Postby juevonate » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 pm

Well, study your butt off for the LSAT. Don't leave anything on the table. Buy the Bibles, take at least the past 30 under strict timed conditions, and go over all the questions you're unsure of. It has to be a focus of your life.

Second, consider interning at a law office. Try to work connections. You might not be able to find something prestigous, but some public-defender type should be willing to accept some free work. With your numbers, you really shouldn't commit to law school until you've actually tasted law.

stj2013
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby stj2013 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 am

You could probably get some seriously decent money from some tier 2s with an LSAT in that range and your gpa. Check out LSN for people with your number range and see what schools gave them money and apply to those schools. Of course, do well enough on your LSAT and you won't have to worry about it! I think that if I had spent all that time I spent reading TLS on studying for the LSAT instead I would have got a 180... :lol:

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: All or nothing?

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 am

All.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest