SHOULD I DO THIS

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
birdmann783
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:While people are generally ranking/prestige whores, I can't imagine anyone you ever meet in your entire life from this point forward would care that you went to a "top 100" high school. The same goes for whatever passes for "extensive experience in civil engineering" at the high school level. Focus on what you've accomplished since graduating high school.

Edit.

Reason: it's high school.


actually Im not a prestige whore.. i was just trying to give reasons as to why i might be tempted to keep it. if it was dfaiffkls high school and I did nothing then I see the logic behind erasing it.

Im trying to put you guys in my situation...Not show off...

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I would trash your resume if you put that you majored in civil engineering in high school.
I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I would trash your resume if you put that you majored in civil engineering in high school.
I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.


Their high GPA is rewarded with a crappy job market and lower salary. So I'm okay with my civil buddies.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:While people are generally ranking/prestige whores, I can't imagine anyone you ever meet in your entire life from this point forward would care that you went to a "top 100" high school. The same goes for whatever passes for "extensive experience in civil engineering" at the high school level. Focus on what you've accomplished since graduating high school.

Edit.

Reason: it's high school.


actually Im not a prestige whore.. i was just trying to give reasons as to why i might be tempted to keep it. if it was dfaiffkls high school and I did nothing then I see the logic behind erasing it.

Im trying to put you guys in my situation...Not show off...


I'm not necessarily calling you a prestige whore, but rather saying that, while schools and employers in the legal world are notorious prestige whores, they rarely need to go slumming in the world of high school rankings and high school internships to get their prestige fix. They usually focus on stuff that is relevant.

User avatar
birdmann783
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:15 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I would trash your resume if you put that you majored in civil engineering in high school.
I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.


lol we had a hard teacher that also taught at a college...super hard ... so while I get your point, no one walked through this man's class with an easy A

User avatar
birdmann783
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:16 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:While people are generally ranking/prestige whores, I can't imagine anyone you ever meet in your entire life from this point forward would care that you went to a "top 100" high school. The same goes for whatever passes for "extensive experience in civil engineering" at the high school level. Focus on what you've accomplished since graduating high school.

Edit.

Reason: it's high school.


actually Im not a prestige whore.. i was just trying to give reasons as to why i might be tempted to keep it. if it was dfaiffkls high school and I did nothing then I see the logic behind erasing it.

Im trying to put you guys in my situation...Not show off...


I'm not necessarily calling you a prestige whore, but rather saying that, while schools and employers in the legal world are notorious prestige whores, they rarely need to go slumming in the world of high school rankings and high school internships to get their prestige fix. They usually focus on stuff that is relevant.



I misread your comment. I understand your point though

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:17 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I would trash your resume if you put that you majored in civil engineering in high school.
I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.


lol we had a hard teacher that also taught at a college...super hard ... so while I get your point, no one walked through this man's class with an easy A


Wait guyz, this dude took a hard class in high school. YHS auto admit.

Schools don't even care if you actually majored in civil engineering at a real university.

FreshPrince
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby FreshPrince » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I would trash your resume if you put that you majored in civil engineering in high school.
I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.


Their high GPA is rewarded with a crappy job market and lower salary. So I'm okay with my civil buddies.


Yeah, all my "civil buddies" are making close to six figures with 5 to 8 years experience, a bachelors degree and no layoffs. Sucks for them big time.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Well I was the president of my high schools thespian society. I also banged a chick before I graduated. Lasted like 10 seconds, but I still included it on my resume. Whatever gets you the gold I say.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:22 pm

FreshPrince wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
stratocophic wrote:I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.


Their high GPA is rewarded with a crappy job market and lower salary. So I'm okay with my civil buddies.


Yeah, all my "civil buddies" are making close to six figures with 5 to 8 years experience, a bachelors degree and no layoffs. Sucks for them big time.


All? Flame. Most, probably.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 pm

mah2012 wrote:I was under the impression that it is essentially Resume 101 that as soon as you enter college you should never include anything from high school.


Not entirely true. For instance, if you are an Eagle Scout, you did that in high school (or sometimes middle school) and it stays on your resume for life. There are a couple of achievements like that you can get in high school.

However, scholarships and the school you went to do not qualify. That stuff can come up in an interview if it is appropriate--for instance, if the interviewer asks you what your connection to the area is you might mention where you went to high school. The fact that you went to high school in the area (but usually not the actual name of the school) might come up in a cover letter for the same reason.

But it shouldn't be on a resume.
Last edited by Bosque on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Dude you're still trying to qualify your high school experiences for a law school resume. AND you already told us you didnt major in Civil Engineering in college so what would it do for you? Put the scholarship under awards or honors and move on.

FreshPrince
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby FreshPrince » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
stratocophic wrote:I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.


Their high GPA is rewarded with a crappy job market and lower salary. So I'm okay with my civil buddies.


Yeah, all my "civil buddies" are making close to six figures with 5 to 8 years experience, a bachelors degree and no layoffs. Sucks for them big time.


All? Flame. Most, probably.


I didn't say I had many civil buddies but all 3 of them are doing very well for themselves. Flame it up all you want. Civil's always seemed to get pissed on by other engineering majors but the next time you want to cross a large river with your car or take a crap and then not taste it in your drinking water, you'll thank us.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm going to contradict everyone and say that the answer to this question isn't "no."

It's "it doesn't matter." LSAT/GPA are what matters.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm

FreshPrince wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
FreshPrince wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Their high GPA is rewarded with a crappy job market and lower salary. So I'm okay with my civil buddies.


Yeah, all my "civil buddies" are making close to six figures with 5 to 8 years experience, a bachelors degree and no layoffs. Sucks for them big time.


All? Flame. Most, probably.


I didn't say I had many civil buddies but all 3 of them are doing very well for themselves. Flame it up all you want. Civil's always seemed to get pissed on by other engineering majors but the next time you want to cross a large river with your car or take a crap and then not taste it in your drinking water, you'll thank us.


Jeez, there is friendly competition amongst the engineering fields no need to get butt hurt about it.

But at least Illinois civil grads had worse employment outlook in the short term. I don't know about long term. Maybe the stimulus money is helping.

User avatar
birdmann783
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I would trash your resume if you put that you majored in civil engineering in high school.
I don't know that I'd get to the part about high school in the first place. "Civil" would be enough for me. I still loathe them and their "high" GPAs due to easy classes.


lol we had a hard teacher that also taught at a college...super hard ... so while I get your point, no one walked through this man's class with an easy A


Wait guyz, this dude took a hard class in high school. YHS auto admit.

Schools don't even care if you actually majored in civil engineering at a real university.



I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm

birdmann783 wrote:

I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..


TCR is get a real job since I obviously post on TLS all day long.

My acting like a clown is beneficial for you. You know how stupid you look now.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:

I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..


TCR is get a real job since I obviously post on TLS all day long.

My acting like a clown is beneficial for you. You know how stupid you look now.


You'll never make it to 20K, dude.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:33 pm

--ImageRemoved--

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:34 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:

I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..


TCR is get a real job since I obviously post on TLS all day long.

My acting like a clown is beneficial for you. You know how stupid you look now.


You'll never make it to 20K, dude.


I hope I don't.

User avatar
birdmann783
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:

I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..


TCR is get a real job since I obviously post on TLS all day long.

My acting like a clown is beneficial for you. You know how stupid you look now.



I tell it how it is----you tell it how it might be

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 pm

birdmann783 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:

I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..


TCR is get a real job since I obviously post on TLS all day long.

My acting like a clown is beneficial for you. You know how stupid you look now.



I tell it how it is----you tell it how it might be


Maybe majoring in civil engineering in high school will sanitize your 160.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:

I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..


TCR is get a real job since I obviously post on TLS all day long.

My acting like a clown is beneficial for you. You know how stupid you look now.



I tell it how it is----you tell it how it might be


Maybe majoring in civil engineering in high school will sanitize your 160.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
birdmann783
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:57 am

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby birdmann783 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
birdmann783 wrote:

I was just asking for advice....not someone to act like a clown...chill out and get a life instead of posting on tls thousands of times..


TCR is get a real job since I obviously post on TLS all day long.

My acting like a clown is beneficial for you. You know how stupid you look now.



I tell it how it is----you tell it how it might be


Maybe majoring in civil engineering in high school will sanitize your 160.


lol hahaha attacking an old lsat score when we are talking about questions concerning a resume...i hope u feel proud.


Anyways, I just like to thank everyone who gave a thoughtful response to what I asked and gave their reasons why.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: SHOULD I DO THIS

Postby merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:50 pm

FreshPrince wrote:
I didn't say I had many civil buddies but all 3 of them are doing very well for themselves. Flame it up all you want. Civil's always seemed to get pissed on by other engineering majors but the next time you want to cross a large river with your car or take a crap and then not taste it in your drinking water, you'll thank us.


And the next time you sit down to play WOW or the fucking SIMS thank an Electrical and Computer Engineer plus a Computer Scientist.

The next time you fill that pretty little Prius thank a Chemical/Petroleum.

Hell the next time you do any fuckin thing just thank an Engineer.

P.S. I get irritated when people try to make one engineering discipline more important than another.
Last edited by merichard87 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests