Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
thatsnotmyname
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am

Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:59 pm

I know that the most recent go-to law school list says ~30% of GW students placed into NLJ 250 firms (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1). However, I'm uncertain if the most recent class fared worse or about the same (or even better?). So if current GW students could provide some input about what's required to land biglaw from GW in this economy, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

digitalcntrl
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby digitalcntrl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:I know that the most recent go-to law school list says ~30% of GW students placed into NLJ 250 firms (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1). However, I'm uncertain if the most recent class fared worse or about the same (or even better?). So if current GW students could provide some input about what's required to land biglaw from GW in this economy, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.


Not a GW student but go to school about a mile away and well versed with the DC schools. The numbers in the article are way over the top for all schools and not accurate for ITE. 30% is too high, 15% maybe more accurate.

thatsnotmyname
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:25 am

Thanks for your response. If you don't mind what would be your guess of what's needed to land biglaw out of these DC area schools: GULC, GMU, and American... just interested.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby nealric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for your response. If you don't mind what would be your guess of what's needed to land biglaw out of these DC area schools: GULC, GMU, and American... just interested.


It's very hard to say with the tospy-turvy way things have been going the last few years. Even if we could tell you the exact stats for last recruiting season, they wouldn't necessarily be accurate for this one. That said, here are my guesses for the DC area schools for the upcoming season:

GULC: Top 1/3
GW: Top 20%
GMU: Top 5-10%
American: Top 5-10%
Catholic: Top 5 people
UDC: Nobody will get biglaw
Howard: I really have no idea

By contrast, if you were to go back into a time machine to 2007, it would look more like this:

GULC: Top 3/4
GW: Top 1/2
Howard: Top 1/3
GMU/Amer: Top 20%
Catholic: Top 10%
UDC: Basically nobody gets (or probably even wants) biglaw from UDC


User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby pjo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 am

How are job prospects in general for GW grads? I'm saying like alternative jobs (non-biglaw) like government or mid-size firms. Basically if I were looking for a job that pays enough to live comfortably(not extravagantly) in say a VA suburb what do prospects look like coming out of GW?

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

pjo wrote:How are job prospects in general for GW grads? I'm saying like alternative jobs (non-biglaw) like government or mid-size firms. Basically if I were looking for a job that pays enough to live comfortably(not extravagantly) in say a VA suburb what do prospects look like coming out of GW?


Bump, I am also curious

rv11
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby rv11 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 am

Teoeo wrote:
pjo wrote:How are job prospects in general for GW grads? I'm saying like alternative jobs (non-biglaw) like government or mid-size firms. Basically if I were looking for a job that pays enough to live comfortably(not extravagantly) in say a VA suburb what do prospects look like coming out of GW?


Bump, I am also curious


No need to bump after a minute.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 am

rv11 wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
pjo wrote:How are job prospects in general for GW grads? I'm saying like alternative jobs (non-biglaw) like government or mid-size firms. Basically if I were looking for a job that pays enough to live comfortably(not extravagantly) in say a VA suburb what do prospects look like coming out of GW?


Bump, I am also curious


No need to bump after a minute.


Ah, but your comment rebumped the post and gave my bump ever so much more meaning.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby pjo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:40 pm

pjo wrote:How are job prospects in general for GW grads? I'm saying like alternative jobs (non-biglaw) like government or mid-size firms. Basically if I were looking for a job that pays enough to live comfortably(not extravagantly) in say a VA suburb what do prospects look like coming out of GW?


Could someone help out and answer this question. Maybe a GW student or another DC area student that has some idea. Thanks.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby dood » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:12 pm

...
Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

rv11
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Question for GW Students: What's needed for biglaw?

Postby rv11 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Teoeo wrote:
rv11 wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
pjo wrote:How are job prospects in general for GW grads? I'm saying like alternative jobs (non-biglaw) like government or mid-size firms. Basically if I were looking for a job that pays enough to live comfortably(not extravagantly) in say a VA suburb what do prospects look like coming out of GW?


Bump, I am also curious


No need to bump after a minute.


Ah, but your comment rebumped the post and gave my bump ever so much more meaning.


Or more attention from the mods.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: axel.foley and 1 guest