Max. traffic tickets for your application? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lharsha

New

Max. traffic tickets for your application?

Post by lharsha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Will 4+ traffic violations hurt my applications a lot?
Last edited by lharsha on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: How will this look? I'm really concerned...

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm

I had around 20 traffic violations. Mostly speeding.

It doesn't make a difference at all.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 pm

You will probably be fine as long as you honestly disclose. Law schools are just making sure you would pass character and fitness. Usually, that's only a problem for people who don't properly disclose or people whose conduct shows willful disregard for the law- generally, 4-5 speeding tickets is nowhere close to that point.
:shock:

Yikes. What do you drive?
Last edited by nealric on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lharsha

New

Post by lharsha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 pm

kalvano wrote:I had around 20 traffic violations. Mostly speeding.

Did you report them all? And thank you so much for responding. I was having a small panic attack.

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 pm

LOL Flame. No one worries about this. And if you get a speeding ticket without it bring bumped down, you are a loser.

If not, most applications let you omit minor traffic violations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:52 pm

lharsha wrote:

Did you report them all? And thank you so much for responding. I was having a small panic attack.
ughh. how does someone get so lost in this process mentally that they think the disclosure of 4-5 traffic tickets is going to affect in any way their chances of admission to law school? ofuckingblivious.

/rant

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:55 pm

nealric wrote:You will probably be fine as long as you honestly disclose. Law schools are just making sure you would pass character and fitness. Usually, that's only a problem for people who don't properly disclose or people whose conduct shows willful disregard for the law- generally, 4-5 speeding tickets is nowhere close to that point.
:shock:

Yikes. What do you drive?
Seriously, wouldn't you lose your license for this?

lharsha

New

Post by lharsha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
lharsha wrote:

ughh. how does someone get so lost in this process mentally that they think the disclosure of 4-5 traffic tickets is going to affect in any way their chances of admission to law school? ofuckingblivious.

/rant
Well I was reading Ann Levine's book about applying and it said that 4 may seem a little fishy to law schools. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I thought that was what this forum is for. Not to be embarrassed and degraded by peers. My mistake.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

5 tickets in 5 years, with the most recent being this past May, does show a pattern of disregard for the law. That being said, most apps allow you to omit traffic violations. For the ones that don't, write a good addendum explaining that you have learned your lesson or something. You should be fine, even on the apps that make you disclose it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:ughh. how does someone get so lost in this process mentally that they think the disclosure of 4-5 traffic tickets is going to affect in any way their chances of admission to law school? ofuckingblivious.

/rant
Um...yeah. OP: you might want to seek out a less stressful vocation. If something that trivial gave you a panic attack, you're going to be in a padded room in ~5 years.

lharsha

New

Post by lharsha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:59 pm

MrKappus wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:ughh. how does someone get so lost in this process mentally that they think the disclosure of 4-5 traffic tickets is going to affect in any way their chances of admission to law school? ofuckingblivious.

/rant
Um...yeah. OP: you might want to seek out a less stressful vocation. If something that trivial gave you a panic attack, you're going to be in a padded room in ~5 years.
I was just really worried that something that I've been working so hard to achieve might be unobtainable because of stupid mistakes. I'll decide what's best for me. Thanks for your input though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:00 pm

A lot of schools ask for stuff that doesn't appear on your record. Most (all but two) of my tickets were dismissed or deferred.

And I did not include all of them, mainly because I don't remember all of them. I addressed that in my addendum, that any omission is not intentional, it's just a matter of not remembering.

KBicknell

New

Post by KBicknell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:00 pm

The main thing is to read the applications closely to verify what level of traffic violations they want you to disclose. Some may just ask for the more extreme violations like reckless op, DUI, etc. Other want every little thing disclosed. You will want to get all the info on the traffic violations from the city or county where you received the tickets. It shouldn;t be too hard since most are now online. I had three tickets and was cited in an accident 12+ years ago and I was able to get everything in less than a day.

Also.....make a real effort to not get any other tickets!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lharsha

New

Post by lharsha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:02 pm

KBicknell wrote:The main thing is to read the applications closely to verify what level of traffic violations they want you to disclose. Some may just ask for the more extreme violations like reckless op, DUI, etc. Other want every little thing disclosed. You will want to get all the info on the traffic violations from the city or county where you received the tickets. It shouldn;t be too hard since most are now online. I had three tickets and was cited in an accident 12+ years ago and I was able to get everything in less than a day.

Also.....make a real effort to not get any other tickets!
Thanks very much. I feel a lot better. And I am trying very hard not to get anymore :)

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:05 pm

5 tickets in 5 years, with the most recent being this past May, does show a pattern of disregard for the law.
I disagree for people who drive a lot. It only take a moment's inattention to break the speed limit. I used to drive 20k miles a year, and got a speeding ticket two years in a row (only two I have ever gotten). Both times were due to a moment's inattention (missing a changed speed sign while talking to a passenger).

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:08 pm

In most cases you don't have to reports traffick violations

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:31 pm

nealric wrote:
5 tickets in 5 years, with the most recent being this past May, does show a pattern of disregard for the law.
I disagree for people who drive a lot. It only take a moment's inattention to break the speed limit. I used to drive 20k miles a year, and got a speeding ticket two years in a row (only two I have ever gotten). Both times were due to a moment's inattention (missing a changed speed sign while talking to a passenger).
You may disagree, but Adcoms may not. If you read the rest of my post, I go on to say it should not hurt the OP. Given two candidates with similar stats, I think the Adcoms may pick the one without the 5 tickets. So, it can matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nealric

Re: Max. traffic tickets for your application?

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Given two candidates with similar stats, I think the Adcoms may pick the one without the 5 tickets. So, it can matter.
Highly doubtful.

In fact, many applications specifically ask you to exclude minor traffic infractions in listing any criminal history.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

nealric wrote:
Given two candidates with similar stats, I think the Adcoms may pick the one without the 5 tickets. So, it can matter.
Highly doubtful.

In fact, many applications specifically ask you to exclude minor traffic infractions in listing any criminal history.
Did you read my original post at all?
CG614 wrote:5 tickets in 5 years, with the most recent being this past May, does show a pattern of disregard for the law. That being said, most apps allow you to omit traffic violations. For the ones that don't, write a good addendum explaining that you have learned your lesson or something. You should be fine, even on the apps that make you disclose it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

The only school I remember who wanted traffic that I applied to was IUB.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The only school I remember who wanted traffic that I applied to was IUB.
NYU, GW, Minn, and GMU make you disclose.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Did you read my original post at all?
Nope, sorry.

estevanrey

New

Post by estevanrey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm

You are right most do tell you to omit minor traffic violations but some ask for you to explian such as Wake Forest and a few other schools regardles you should definatly error on the side of full disclosure.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:35 pm

nealric wrote:
Highly doubtful.

Having a ton of tickets didn't seem to hold me back any.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:41 pm

kalvano wrote:
nealric wrote:
Highly doubtful.

Having a ton of tickets didn't seem to hold me back any.
What did you say about all your tickets? Did you list them individually, or did you just mention you had gotten tickets.

Also: Does NYU really make you disclose speeding tickets? I read the application, and it doesn't say "excluding minor violations" or anything, but I still didn't think you needed to disclose that hardcore..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”