How early is too early to get credentialing stuff set up?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Aggiegrad2011

How early is too early to get credentialing stuff set up?

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Hey all !

The title rather says it all, however I will elaborate a bit.

I will be taking the October LSAT, and I realize that puts me behind the 8-ball on a lot of schools to which I will be applying (Boalt, Stanford, Hastings, Davis, BC, BU, Cornell, a handful of others and would therefore like to get my letters of recommendation finished and uploaded as soon as possible. My concern is, like I asked above, how soon is too soon? For example: One of my professors, who holds a JD from Boalt and taught my Philosophy of Law course, will be writing me a specific LoR for Boalt's IP program. If that letter is finished right now, can my professor (With the LoR letter printed from LSDAS CS and everything in order) submit that to LSAC now, in June, and not have it lost in the ether until I submit my law application with my LSAT score in mid-October?

I am rather frustrated with the timing of the entire deal. I really, really, really want my applications in as soon as humanly possible given the somewhat late LSAT date(My June LSAT was a cancel). Also, in the same vein, what about transcripts? I have 2 summer sessions going this summer, (I am a work-a-holic!!!) and then Fall, Winter, Spring quarters (UC Davis). I realize my fall grades won't be on my transcripts (We won't take finals until November-early December) but I'd like to get my As from summer on there (Trying to get my LSDAS close to 4.00, from where it stands now at 3.98). Conversely, I don't want to wait TOO long, so I am deciding between waiting until summer 1 and/or 2 are on my official transcript, and just sending them in to LSAC now.

Any advice, sage TLS'ers?!

im_blue

Re: How early is too early to get credentialing stuff set up?

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:45 pm

You can easily send in your LORs and summer transcripts, and have your PS all ready before October. Then all you have to do is get your score in late October and send off the applications.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:51 pm

im_blue wrote:You can easily send in your LORs and summer transcripts, and have your PS all ready before October. Then all you have to do is get your score in late October and send off the applications.

Thank you for the reply - One thing that's confusing me a bit on the CAS is whether I need to select schools before I get my transcripts and LoRs sent in? That is to say, can I have no schools selected right now, but have the paperwork submitted to LSAC so that when I DO choose schools, it's there for the taking and, as you said, the get the score and send off applications?

It appears as though in order to get an LoR form downloaded, I have to "select a school" - Can you elaborate on that process a little, if you have time?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
im_blue wrote:You can easily send in your LORs and summer transcripts, and have your PS all ready before October. Then all you have to do is get your score in late October and send off the applications.

Thank you for the reply - One thing that's confusing me a bit on the CAS is whether I need to select schools before I get my transcripts and LoRs sent in? That is to say, can I have no schools selected right now, but have the paperwork submitted to LSAC so that when I DO choose schools, it's there for the taking and, as you said, the get the score and send off applications?

It appears as though in order to get an LoR form downloaded, I have to "select a school" - Can you elaborate on that process a little, if you have time?

You can send transcripts at any time - that requires no school selection. You can also send in LORs at any time, and then later when you're applying, you will choose which schools you want those LORs to be sent to. The "this letter is intended for" is just a label that you choose to remind yourself, e.g. "LOR 1 for all schools" or something like that.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 pm

You can send transcripts at any time - that requires no school selection. You can also send in LORs at any time, and then later when you're applying, you will choose which schools you want those LORs to be sent to. The "this letter is intended for" is just a label that you choose to remind yourself, e.g. "LOR 1 for all schools" or something like that.

Oh that's great news, thank you so much.

So, brass tacks - Say I have Professor X (hehe!) who will write me one Cal specific LoR, then one UCLA specific LoR, then one general LoR (he has generously agreed to this already!). I will then download 3 LoR forms for him, and he will send all 3 to LSAC. They will then be scanned (I assume?) or otherwise held by LSAC, until the time that I apply. At that time, I can then designate Letter Z to Cal, Letter X to UCLA, and so on and so forth?

I really truly do appreciate you taking the time out to help answer some of these questions for me. I'm going nuts over here, my husband wants to kill me I swear!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:02 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:So, brass tacks - Say I have Professor X (hehe!) who will write me one Cal specific LoR, then one UCLA specific LoR, then one general LoR (he has generously agreed to this already!). I will then download 3 LoR forms for him, and he will send all 3 to LSAC. They will then be scanned (I assume?) or otherwise held by LSAC, until the time that I apply. At that time, I can then designate Letter Z to Cal, Letter X to UCLA, and so on and so forth?

That's correct.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:04 am

im_blue wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:So, brass tacks - Say I have Professor X (hehe!) who will write me one Cal specific LoR, then one UCLA specific LoR, then one general LoR (he has generously agreed to this already!). I will then download 3 LoR forms for him, and he will send all 3 to LSAC. They will then be scanned (I assume?) or otherwise held by LSAC, until the time that I apply. At that time, I can then designate Letter Z to Cal, Letter X to UCLA, and so on and so forth?

That's correct.

Excellent!

Would you recommend I go ahead and send in my existing transcripts (From the CC I attended while in the Army, then UC Davis) right now, sans the SS 1 and 2 grades, or wait for them to come in (Approximately early August) and then send them? Since I won't be able to apply until October anyway, I assume that makes no real difference?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:06 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

That's correct.

Excellent!

Would you recommend I go ahead and send in my existing transcripts (From the CC I attended while in the Army, then UC Davis) right now, sans the SS 1 and 2 grades, or wait for them to come in (Approximately early August) and then send them? Since I won't be able to apply until October anyway, I assume that makes no real difference?

Makes no real difference, since the October score doesn't come out until late October. If transcripts are free or cheap, just send in one copy now just in case.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 am

Makes no real difference, since the October score doesn't come out until late October. If transcripts are free or cheap, just send in one copy now just in case.

Very cheap at $5.95 per transcript I send from each institution. Honestly, I am not very cost-averse right now. This entire process is expensive, but such a small part of the entire thing, I can easily justify it to myself. That's why I want to be absolutely, positively as thorough as possible... and I really wish I found this site much earlier.

Alright, then I am going to get my Letters going! As long as selecting schools doesn't somehow alert them to the fact that I selected them, or send them anything until I get my application fully set up (e.g, with the lSAT score...) then I will be fine. I guess that is an underlying concern for me, also, that because LSAC wants to me "select a school" prior to downloading the LoR form for my professors that somehow a school will get an incomplete package from me, or something!

Any words of advice related to that, or am I totally just being paranoid for no reason?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:41 am

Answered my own question on that one - Thank you for your time, though, on everything else!

Return to “Law School FAQ”