Are my reasons right for going to law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
rman1201

Are my reasons right for going to law school?

Postby rman1201 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm pretty certain about law school, however I figured I'd see what TLS thinks before I go any further and tack on $100k+ of debt.

I've been seriously considering law school for about 3 years. I've taken undergrad Business law and loved it, I've done some minor research and the law library and loved the experience. However my primary passion career-wise is entrepreneurship. However I'm going to have some UG debt by the time I finish and it probably wont be feasible to start creating businesses right out of school. This is where law comes in. And don't get me wrong, it's not an idea of been lightly playing with to pass some time and save money - I've done plenty of research, been keeping up with TLS for a few months now, etc. I really like business law, I enjoy legal research, and I'm hoping this would provide a smooth transition into entrepreneurship down the road.

So what do you think? Is this the right decision? Or would I be better suited getting some work experience and going for an MBA? (Although in all honesty at this time I'd much rather go to Law school than B school, I've read practice exams, planet law school and I'm really excited about the whole experience)

dominkay

Re: Are my reasons right for going to law school?

Postby dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:10 pm

rman1201 wrote:I'm pretty certain about law school, however I figured I'd see what TLS thinks before I go any further and tack on $100k+ of debt.

I've been seriously considering law school for about 3 years. I've taken undergrad Business law and loved it, I've done some minor research and the law library and loved the experience. However my primary passion career-wise is entrepreneurship. However I'm going to have some UG debt by the time I finish and it probably wont be feasible to start creating businesses right out of school. This is where law comes in. And don't get me wrong, it's not an idea of been lightly playing with to pass some time and save money - I've done plenty of research, been keeping up with TLS for a few months now, etc. I really like business law, I enjoy legal research, and I'm hoping this would provide a smooth transition into entrepreneurship down the road.

So what do you think? Is this the right decision? Or would I be better suited getting some work experience and going for an MBA? (Although in all honesty at this time I'd much rather go to Law school than B school, I've read practice exams, planet law school and I'm really excited about the whole experience)

Going to law school in order to get out of debt is probably not the right decision.

If you don't want to be a lawyer, I do not recommend going to law school.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Apply for this instead: http://ycombinator.com/

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:13 pm

I do want to be a lawyer though - I can see myself practicing law for about 10-20 years after law school. What I was trying to say is that I don't want to do that forever. I don't really want to do any one thing forever - that's why I quit pre-med, the medical field seems too concrete, whereas with law I'm hoping to jump into business and politics as well

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:14 pm

This works for some people, but for other people the "versatility" angle leads to disaster.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:15 pm

to be fair, starting your own law practice would be starting a business as well....

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:01 pm

rman1201 wrote:I do want to be a lawyer though - I can see myself practicing law for about 10-20 years after law school. What I was trying to say is that I don't want to do that forever. I don't really want to do any one thing forever - that's why I quit pre-med, the medical field seems too concrete, whereas with law I'm hoping to jump into business and politics as well

Medical field too concrete? Medicine is business, and a lot of doctors go into politics.

If you're young and still have some options, I'd bone up on the pre-med and go to med school. This country suffers from a devastating shortage of skilled doctors and nurses, and an abundance of lawyers. I truly want to be a lawyer, and if you do also, then you should go to law school. If you are trying to make a sound financial and career path-opening decision regardless of the field however, go to med school!

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:51 am

95% of the people who don't have to ask this question shouldn't be going to law school.

So if you have to ask...

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:41 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:95% of the people who don't have to ask this question shouldn't be going to law school.

So if you have to ask...

Stupid saying IMO.
I think it would be better to question those who are about to spend 3 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars and don't think long and hard about their intentions. No one was 'born to be a lawyer', despite what your PS might say.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:20 am

eldizknee wrote:
rman1201 wrote:I do want to be a lawyer though

This is a pretty good reason to go to law school.

TCR

1) Work your ass off to get your UG GPA as high as you can; kill the LSAT, go to the best LS you can get into
2) Stop questioning your motives. Indecision is for the meek.
3) Stop asking the vultures on this site if your motives are correct. They ALL want to go to LS, but MANY will try to talk others out of it.

Return to “Law School FAQ”