dilemma--I've got local career, wife got a 177 LSAT Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
notalawyer

New

dilemma--I've got local career, wife got a 177 LSAT

Post by notalawyer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:05 pm

I've been selling cars for over 10 years--since I was 17--and have gotten pretty successful at it in my local community. For the past 3 years I've been running my dad's old car lot, and I make over $200k per year doing it, even with the downturn. Thing is, it kind of ties me down to this particular location, which isn't close to any law school that would qualify as a "top law school" like you folks here go to. Because I basically inherited a thriving business, I'm not sure I could just pick up shop somewhere else and make anything close to what I'm making here.

Other thing is, I married a smartie, who just graduated with highest honors at the local college. We'd always planned on her going to law school around here afterward. She still insists that she'd be okay with that, but I know that she could go somewhere like Harvard, and I'd feel extremely guilty if she gave something like that up for me.

So I guess my question is basically whether in the long run it'd be better financially for me to sell my business and go with her to some fancy school, or have her stay around here and go to law school at a local law school?

mallard

Silver

Re: dilemma--I've got local career, wife got a 177 LSAT

Post by mallard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 pm

What's the local school?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Have her go local for free. It's best for you, not necessarily her though.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 pm

question 1 what law schools are near you.

question 2 are any of them half way decent if so your wife would probably go for free

question 3 does she plan on practicing law where you live.

bestusernameever

New

Post by bestusernameever » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Dont drag your wife down man. If she can go to a top tier law school, let her go. Perhaps you can do long distance for a year while you try to wrap up your plans. Destiny is greater for her dude

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 pm

How far are you from a T-14 law school? If you guys could do 3 years of weekends, it might work for both of you.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:09 pm

notalawyer wrote:I've been selling cars for over 10 years--since I was 17--and have gotten pretty successful at it in my local community. For the past 3 years I've been running my dad's old car lot, and I make over $200k per year doing it, even with the downturn. Thing is, it kind of ties me down to this particular location, which isn't close to any law school that would qualify as a "top law school" like you folks here go to. Because I basically inherited a thriving business, I'm not sure I could just pick up shop somewhere else and make anything close to what I'm making here.

Other thing is, I married a smartie, who just graduated with highest honors at the local college. We'd always planned on her going to law school around here afterward. She still insists that she'd be okay with that, but I know that she could go somewhere like Harvard, and I'd feel extremely guilty if she gave something like that up for me.

So I guess my question is basically whether in the long run it'd be better financially for me to sell my business and go with her to some fancy school, or have her stay around here and go to law school at a local law school?
She's gonna be your sugar-momma in like 5 years, just go with her.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:09 pm

bestusernameever wrote:Dont drag your wife down man. If she can go to a top tier law school, let her go. Perhaps you can do long distance for a year while you try to wrap up your plans. Destiny is greater for her dude
They're married, you idiot. No one's dragging anyone down...they just have to make the decision together that's best for both of them.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:10 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:She's gonna be your sugar-momma in like 5 years, just go with her.
He makes $200k a year. This is not credited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:10 pm

bestusernameever wrote:Dont drag your wife down man. If she can go to a top tier law school, let her go. Perhaps you can do long distance for a year while you try to wrap up your plans. Destiny is greater for her dude
Sounds like a recipe for losing half his business in a divorce.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:11 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:
notalawyer wrote:I've been selling cars for over 10 years--since I was 17--and have gotten pretty successful at it in my local community. For the past 3 years I've been running my dad's old car lot, and I make over $200k per year doing it, even with the downturn. Thing is, it kind of ties me down to this particular location, which isn't close to any law school that would qualify as a "top law school" like you folks here go to. Because I basically inherited a thriving business, I'm not sure I could just pick up shop somewhere else and make anything close to what I'm making here.

She's gonna be your sugar-momma in like 5 years, just go with her.
I don't know about that if your are already clearing 200k don't mess up a good thing. She can go to law school and you can keep your gig. All you have to do is find out what her goals are and maybe put up with her being some distance away from you.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:11 pm

mallard wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:She's gonna be your sugar-momma in like 5 years, just go with her.
He makes $200k a year. This is not credited.
+1

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Why not get yourself a good GM and move? Split the money. $100K is nothing to sneeze at. Owners don't need to be there for it to run right.

Otherwise, selling is selling. I sold cars before law school. You can probably get a job most anywhere.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doppelganger

Bronze

Post by doppelganger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:15 pm

You can sell cars anywhere. It's the same thing in every city in this country. Great law schools are not everywhere, however. You know what you should do. Support her in going to the best law school she is able to. Also, I am going to echo the other posters in asking--which schools are nearby?

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:18 pm

The problem with so-called "local law schools" is that people go to them from out-of-area and take out huge loans to pay for them (they then have trouble getting jobs and paying back their loans). You both already live in the area, and are in a good position to pay for the cost of law school without undue burden. This, of course, is assuming that she will get a substantial scholarship and live with you. You as a couple are in a very rare situation and either way looks good. As for whether your wife can give up attending a prestigious university without significant regret, that is not the sort of thing most people on this board can help you with.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:21 pm

With the way the economy is and the fact that even in this economy youre making 200k(which makes me only wonder how much you made before) I wouldnt give that up. In this instance, I would say go with the local school. Pay her loans off as she goes. If she graduates in the top (hopefully you dont live in Fla) she'll have no debt and hopefully she'll have a job. Network for her if it will assuage your guilt

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 pm

I think you really need to give slightly more information if you hope to get an answer. If you live in Ohio, then there's probably a law school within driving distance of you that, while not elite, is at least decent, and willing to offer your wife a free ride, and which might make the most sense for both of you. If you live in Oklahoma, your situation may be considerably more stark.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 pm

kalvano wrote:Why not get yourself a good GM and move? Split the money. $100K is nothing to sneeze at. Owners don't need to be there for it to run right.

Otherwise, selling is selling. I sold cars before law school. You can probably get a job most anywhere.
This may actually be TCR.
doppelganger wrote:You can sell cars anywhere. It's the same thing in every city in this country.
Wrong. Like in law, the value of business is in the book of clients you have. If you pack up and leave cities, you're starting over from scratch, because no matter how loyal a car buyer is, they're not going to drive halfway across the country to buy a car from you. It would take several years to rebuild that book of business, and at potentially six figures worth of lost income in the interim.

Then again, OP, if you just sold the place outright... a business that's making $200K/year for you ought to be sellable for a lot more than $200K. I think you should either 1) take kalvano's advice and find a manager, or 2) plan on staying there until you can find a buyer, and then sell and move to be with your wife.

Of course, all of this is moot until she actually gets into Harvard. If for some reason she doesn't, none of this matters. She can go to the local law school, and you can pay whatever expenses are left after any financial aid she receives, and then she'll be debt-free and able to work pretty much anywhere in the area without an enormous debt holding her down.

ChinaMex

New

Post by ChinaMex » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:27 pm

It depends on her careers goals I think. If she wants to do big law or work anywhere besides where you live, then maybe she should go to the best school she can get into. If she plans on just working in your area and the schools in your area have great reputations, then I would say she should just go to the local school for free. As impressive as it would be to say that she went to HLS, if it's not going to give her a leg up on her career goals it's not worth your loss of revenue and stress on your relationship.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm

kalvano wrote:

Why not get yourself a good GM and move? Split the money. $100K is nothing to sneeze at. Owners don't need to be there for it to run right.

TITCR for 100K you should be able to get an experienced manager. You can go live with your wife while she studies. After she finishes her degree and gets some job offers you can make the decision with more information (Like whether she even wants to do biglaw)

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm

My sister was in a similar situation; she is really bright and could have gone anywhere but stayed in her local community where she and her husband worked and had built a life. It is a trade off and whatever you decide to do, you can't resent each other for it. My sister ended up going to a local school, graduated 1st in her class, and has her pick of jobs in a market with about 3 million people. She makes REALLY good money and is going to be very successful. Your wife is smart. She may not go to Harvard, but she will do very well in law school, and that will open up many doors locally in terms of job prospects. And you will still have your $200k job. I think you have to come to a decision together, and then accept the pros and cons together.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm

mallard wrote:What's the local school?
^^^necessary!

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Don't underestimate the value of a successful business in this economy. My Dad has been selling cars for 40+ years - I know the value in repeat customers and reputation. That's not something you can just walk away from and expect to pick it up halfway across the country without taking a big hit.

Just because your wife has the numbers to get in to a top school, doesn't mean that she has the type of goals that require that she go to a top school. What does she want to do once she has finished law school? Going to a good regional school for free (since her numbers would probably land her a nice scholarship) would probably be fine if she is looking for small- to mid-sized firm work, especially if she places at the top of her class. If she wants big law, legal academia or federal clerkships, then a top school is the ticket. The two of you need to talk it out and weigh the pros and cons (and risks) of the options.

And you may also want to consider options that involve you staying where you are, and your wife living away at school, if she wants/needs a higher ranked school than the one nearby.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:33 pm

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

What are her ambitions as a lawyer? Also, echoing, how good/bad is the best local school?

These are two very important questions. It's all about what her aspirations are and which school can best help her get there. If she just wants to practice locally, it is probably best that she just go to the local law school, imo. If she wants to work for a big law firm in a major city (ie NYC, DC, Chicago, LA...), then the local school would probably be a bad choice.
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”