How are you moving? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

How are you moving?

U-haul and a bunch of buddies (aka free labor!)
46%
PODS type portable moving service
5%
Professional movers
6%
Trashing everything and starting over
25%
Forget moving my junk I'm selling it all on Craigslist/Ebay!
10%
Telekinesis of course!
8%

Total votes: 172

MsBigBad

New

How are you moving?

Post by MsBigBad » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:18 am

Does the type of service you choose depend more heavily on distance or cost?

I'm moving to DC from Baltimore and I fully intend to bribe a bunch of friends with pizza and beer. Its a lot cheaper than professional movers at any rate. The only problem with this plan is a good chunk of my furniture might not make it in one piece.

danidancer

Silver

Re: How are you moving?

Post by danidancer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:38 am

I'm moving NYC to Ithaca. I'm probably going to try and get a bunch of friends here in NYC to help me load up the u-haul, but I have a feeling I'm going to need to pay some peeps up in Ithaca to help me unload it all (unless I can convince some friends here that they REALLY want to drive with me to Ithaca...)

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:42 am

I own a pick-up truck FTW!

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:48 am

ABF's U-Pack Cubes (like PODS, but cheaper) arrive June 29. We move out next day to stay with friends one last week before our 3-day, 2,000-mile drive to California with fiance and 2 cats. Lucky for me, the cats ride in her car.

We are planning to get rid of some stuff (clothes, 1 bed, the ratty, cat-destroyed couch). So that'll help some.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 am

Pick-up and Jeep Wrangler, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 am

I'm moving about 2,500 miles.

I sold most of my furniture (it was all the stuff I got when I started college 6 years ago and cheap/run down) and several misc items that I didn't think I'd need/want in my new place.

I'm going from living alone to living with a roommate (for the first time :shock: ) so stuff that would've been doubled (decor, small appliances, etc) I'm keeping at my parents for the next 3 years. Everything else (clothes, computer, bed, etc) is being moved by a family friend's moving company or in my car with me.

Now the only question is, how many days should I allot to drive there?

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:59 am

We're hiring some movers.

Last time I moved was from my college apartment. I posted on craigslist and sold EVERYTHING.

It was awesome, just walked away and bought all brand new stuff.

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:07 am

sapp wrote:I'm moving about 2,500 miles.

I sold most of my furniture (it was all the stuff I got when I started college 6 years ago and cheap/run down) and several misc items that I didn't think I'd need/want in my new place.

I'm going from living alone to living with a roommate (for the first time :shock: ) so stuff that would've been doubled (decor, small appliances, etc) I'm keeping at my parents for the next 3 years. Everything else (clothes, computer, bed, etc) is being moved by a family friend's moving company or in my car with me.

Now the only question is, how many days should I allot to drive there?
i got you beat by 100 miles -_-

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:23 am

I've got about 1800 miles from Colorado to DC.

I moved to Colorado for my first job out of college, and I've pretty much been broke ever since. Hence everything is my apartment was free/crap/bought at the thrift store/or something that's common in a ski resort town, acquired for next to nothing at liquidation sales from hotels being torn down to be replaced with mixed-use yuppie condos. I can't wait to throw my wagon-wheel print couch in the landfill.

I'm trashing everything and starting over, although I would probably think differently if I had any furniture/electronics of value. If it doesn't fit in my Subaru, it's not coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmittenMitten

Bronze

Post by SmittenMitten » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:24 am

I'm moving from Tucson to Chicago. I don't know how many miles. My brother is flying here to drive there with me and my dog.

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:32 am

Feel kind of sad that i'm only moving 231 miles.

I wish it were farther.

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:43 am

I think I'm going to UPS a few boxes of clothes and my George Foreman to Chicago then buy all new stuff at Meijer or Ikea or something. (lazy) I sold all of my furniture before moving out of my apartment. You guys renting the U-hauls are ambitious.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am

cranberry wrote:I think I'm going to UPS a few boxes of clothes and my George Foreman to Chicago then buy all new stuff at Meijer or Ikea or something. (lazy) I sold all of my furniture before moving out of my apartment. You guys renting the U-hauls are ambitious.
Yeah, but when I moved into my current apt I splurged on my bed BIG TIME. The rest of my furniture is ratty Ikea, but I'm in love with my mattress. I'd much rather deal with moving it than spending another $1500 for another awesome bed. And since I already need to get a van to move the bed, I might as well move everything else too... That's the thinking anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Anybody else keeping their apartment and not dealing with this nonsense at all?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Fill up the car with as much shit as possible. Buy shitty furniture when I get there.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Because my 2,000-mile drive to California isn't enough, I've got to warm up immediately prior by taking a 1,000-mile round-trip (in the other direction) to see my family.

That's 3,000 miles within a week's time. I will probably never move (or drive, if I can help it) again.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:48 pm

I feel like a bum; I'm moving almost 40 miles, from my parents house to an apartment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm only moving about 200 miles. My fiance and I are getting a U-Haul big enough for the big furniture (bed, sofa, chairs, desk etc) and packing the rest in our cars. Parents are also helping with the move...yay for free labor!

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:03 pm

I voted for telekinesis. I'm dreading my move from central FL to Chicago. I'll be leaving my nick-nacks at my parents house; my bed and larger pieces of furniture will join me on a 19 hour drive. Fun.

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm

In a few years I'm planning on starting all over, just bringing clothes. No other way when your moving to the mainland from hawaii right?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:35 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Because my 2,000-mile drive to California isn't enough, I've got to warm up immediately prior by taking a 1,000-mile round-trip (in the other direction) to see my family.

That's 3,000 miles within a week's time. I will probably never move (or drive, if I can help it) again.

Cant you reschedule the whole family thing...or take a plane??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:49 pm

trialjunky wrote:Cant you reschedule the whole family thing...or take a plane??
Sadly, no.

The family trip is mostly to see my new niece (born just last night) and get one more good hang-around with family before, basically, forever burying the notion that I'll return to live in their area. And, given the locations involved, it's unfortunately about 3x more expensive to fly than to drive.

So, the open road and several audio books it is.

amichig

New

Post by amichig » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Moving from AZ to NY. Planning on selling all large furniture and amtraking some boxes to NY. Will also be bringning my 6 mo. old pup along for the ride - should make for an interesting trip!

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:05 pm

amichig wrote:Moving from AZ to NY. Planning on selling all large furniture and amtraking some boxes to NY. Will also be bringning my 6 mo. old pup along for the ride - should make for an interesting trip!
How does Amtraking boxes work, I went to their website and couldnt find much info about pricing, etc.

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm moving from TX to DC. My furniture will be stored with my 'rents. I'm flying to DC and will pay extra to check bags, as almost everything will be coming with me on the flight. I will UPS some stuff to my new address, and plan to buy whatever else I may need in DC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”