Law School Prof, Bored, Taking Q's

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
LawProfessor123

Re: Law School Prof, Bored, Taking Q's

Postby LawProfessor123 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:40 am

nealric wrote:Any tips on getting papers published?

As a junior professor, I'm still trying to figure out the secrets myself, unfortunately. But any decently written paper should get published somewhere. Unless you are an academic, I don't think you should worry too much about whether your article is placed in an elite journal -- everyone knows and understands that it is very difficult for non-profs to publish in top journals.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:42 am

doyleoil wrote:ugh, more aspiring academics...if there's anything the world needs less than lawyers....

No fundamental objections to this, but someone has to teach in law schools. . .

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:58 am

Do you get pissed off by widespread web browsing during lectures? I've never understood why more profs don't ban laptops outright (though I'm glad they don't, because I tend to refresh ThinkProgress.org when other students pose exceptionally longwinded questions).

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 am

LawProfessor123 wrote:someone has to teach in law schools. . .

not in the ~100-125 useless law schools; in fact, we'd all be better off if they didn't

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:32 am

doyleoil wrote:

not in the ~100-125 useless law schools; in fact, we'd all be better off if they didn't

Who would fail out the students if not law professors?

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:38 am

miamiman wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

hey now, no fair taking my other ideas for improving law school and using them against me here

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:39 am

doyleoil wrote:
miamiman wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

hey now, no fair taking my other ideas for improving law school and using them against me here

You can't have it both ways! :D

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:16 am

Do you subscribe to the notion that your not getting a good job out of law school unless you graduate from a t14 or top 10% from a top 50?

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:35 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Do you get pissed off by widespread web browsing during lectures? I've never understood why more profs don't ban laptops outright (though I'm glad they don't, because I tend to refresh ThinkProgress.org when other students pose exceptionally longwinded questions).

No. It's my job to teach clearly to the students who want to be taught. To the extent that someone is browsing because my lectures stink, I am concerned that I'm not doing my job, but I'm not pissed off. To the extent that someone is browsing because they don't care about the course, then that's their own problem -- it will reflect in their grade, especially since some of the hypos I throw out often appear verbatim on the exam.

Also, I was a chronic web-surfer as a student, although not in classes that I thought were good. Looking back, though, I wished I paid more attention in *some* classes that I surfed through.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:37 am

doyleoil wrote:

I think there would be a lawyer shortage if there were only 75 law schools.

What would be better if non-elite schools charged waaay less in tuition. But massive tuition increases is something seen across all of higher education -- it's not a problem unique to law school. Professors have to worry about putting money aside for their kids' college fund, too.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:39 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Do you subscribe to the notion that your not getting a good job out of law school unless you graduate from a t14 or top 10% from a top 50?

These days, I don't think there are any guarantees regardless of where you go to school, except perhaps Yale.

If I were an application, I certainly wouldn't bank on getting a 160k job out of law school. If applicants understood this reality, then perhaps things would be better. 0Ls would think about whether they really wanted to go to law school rather than just go by default.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:41 am

rockstar4488 wrote:Why is it important for you to remain anonymous?

I'm not tenured and being frank about the things that I believe are wrong with law schools would be dangerous, but for anonymity.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:42 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:How familiar are you with the various supplements? I'm not looking for which are effective,. but more for which you are personally accustomed.

I'm most familiar with the E&E's, since that is what I used when I was a student. Now, however, I tend to turn to treatises. If I need a very quick summary of something I'm unfamiliar with, I'll look at a Nutshell.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:46 am

worldtraveler wrote:In your opinion, is it better to practice for a while first before going into academia, or to try and head straight into it after law school or a fellowship/clerkship?

2-4 years is ideal. I won't say that that will make the ideal law professor, but only that that is the ideal length in the eyes of hiring committees.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:48 am

Do you tend to judge your students on their appearance? ( I know probably stupid q).

What I mean is that how do you base your judgement on student ie grades, asking questions, assignments, participation.

The reason I am asking is because I definitely don't look like the average student. I have a tattoo on my forearm, eyebrow piercing, and not a friendly face. I tend to make people nervous by the way I look and that is the last thing I want nto do in Law school. I know a first appearance is everything which is why I am asking.

* This is a very personal question for me. So try not to flame.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:55 am

jeremydc wrote:Do you tend to judge your students on their appearance? ( I know probably stupid q).

What I mean is that how do you base your judgement on student ie grades, asking questions, assignments, participation.

The reason I am asking is because I definitely don't look like the average student. I have a tattoo on my forearm, eyebrow piercing, and not a friendly face. I tend to make people nervous by the way I look and that is the last thing I want nto do in Law school. I know a first appearance is everything which is why I am asking.

Removing the piercing and wearing long-sleeve shirts should do the trick. I imagine most professors won't care, but there isn't much point in risking it, and I can't imagine that any professor would give you any sort of boost.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:57 am

jeremydc wrote:Do you tend to judge your students on their appearance? ( I know probably stupid q).

Well, regardless of the prof's answer, clients definitely don't...so there's no need to worry.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:01 am

There is no regardless in my opinion because I am sure some would see the appearance and judge based solely on what they see which could in turn affect the grades.

Maybe I am off base ( i hope i am) but thats my perspective. Being poor my whole life, people stereotype me as the punk kid who is ready to cause problems.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:03 am

jeremydc wrote:There is no regardless in my opinion because I am sure some would see the appearance and judge based solely on what they see which could in turn affect the grades.

Maybe I am off base ( i hope i am) but thats my perspective. Being poor my whole life, people stereotype me as the punk kid who is ready to cause problems.

Dude, I was being sarcastic. Get a haircut, wear long-sleeved shirts, remove your piercing, and smile more. You'll be fine.

Sheesh.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 am

I'm clean cut man, no need for a haircut.

I am interested in hearing the profs perspective.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:58 am

Unless your tattoo says "KKK" or something like that, I couldn't care less.

Your future clients and employers will probably care more about your appearance.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:12 am

Last edited by Jack Smirks on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:21 am

^^^ good Q, got a Juvi record half a page long but most of the charges were dropped.

Nah the tat is just of the Hawaiian islands.

LawProfessor123

Postby LawProfessor123 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:27 am

naterj wrote:I understand that you may or may not be involved with the admissions process, but do you think schools really look at your criminal history, or are they willing to overlook a hefty criminal record in order to gain access to your numbers for ranking purposes.

Absolutely no idea, but I would hope not.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 am

Did you do the AALS meat market?

Return to “Law School FAQ”