Terrible Community college grades. Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Terrible Community college grades.

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:52 pm

Posting misread.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@jmhendri: Read your profile. Curious as to the large discrepency between your current GPA & your LSDAS GPA.
kinda just explained it... 3.83 at UCSD... and that combined with my JC grades creates the LSAC GPA.

(I never went to class :cry: )

andyrew

New

Post by andyrew » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I know this is an old topic, but I'm in the same boat, UCSD, bunch of w's due to idiocy...

just called the academic advising office, and they confirmed that w's at UCSD are NON punitive!

woot.

Also from LSAC website:

http://www.lsac.org/Policies/transcript ... zation.asp

under the section "Failing Grades"

"Incomplete and Withdraw grades considered punitive by the issuing school will be included in the conversion. The only exception to this policy is for No Credit, Withdraw/Fail, repeated courses, and incomplete grades specifically explained in Grades Excluded From Conversion."

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 pm

**edit**
Nvm this thread is old. I'll make a new thread

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:
mas1987 wrote:If I can get them retroactively withdrawn and the grades just say "W" or "Withdrawn" will it be assumed they were not punitive?

Also, one of the schools was an art school, not accredited, can I withhold those grades?
lsac counts w's as punitive no matter what, i believe -- though i'm not entirely sure about that.
They do, even if the school has a withdrawal/fail grade and a withdrawal grade?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:14 am

Corwin wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:
mas1987 wrote:If I can get them retroactively withdrawn and the grades just say "W" or "Withdrawn" will it be assumed they were not punitive?

Also, one of the schools was an art school, not accredited, can I withhold those grades?
lsac counts w's as punitive no matter what, i believe -- though i'm not entirely sure about that.
They do, even if the school has a withdrawal/fail grade and a withdrawal grade?
No that guy is wrong.
Ask your school if it's punivitive/nonpunitive

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:16 pm

So one type of grade that is excluded from the GPA calculation is this:
Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. Physical Education, Practical Art, Practical Music, and ROTC courses that are assigned credit will be included in the academic summary, even if the issuing institution does not include these courses in its calculation of a GPA.
Do you guys know what this means exactly?

My situation: I have a couple of 1st year classes that are not assigned credit by my school because it only allows a certain number of 100-level courses to go towards your degree. If I'm reading the above paragraph correctly, then those will not be counted by LSAC? Or do they mean something else?

Voltaire_X

New

Post by Voltaire_X » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:13 am

TatNurner wrote:So one type of grade that is excluded from the GPA calculation is this:
Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. Physical Education, Practical Art, Practical Music, and ROTC courses that are assigned credit will be included in the academic summary, even if the issuing institution does not include these courses in its calculation of a GPA.
Do you guys know what this means exactly?

My situation: I have a couple of 1st year classes that are not assigned credit by my school because it only allows a certain number of 100-level courses to go towards your degree. If I'm reading the above paragraph correctly, then those will not be counted by LSAC? Or do they mean something else?
If they show up with credit hours next to them on the transcript they will count, I believe.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:25 am

vespertiliovir wrote:

nope. not from my school at least

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lars9

New

Post by lars9 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Just want to clarify. My UG school does not calculate a W into my GPA, so LSAC would also not use it in calculating my GPA. Correct?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:50 pm

lars9 wrote:Just want to clarify. My UG school does not calculate a W into my GPA, so LSAC would also not use it in calculating my GPA. Correct?
The important thing isn't so much whether or not your undergrad counts it, it's whether they would describe it as punitive on your transcript (whether it affects your GPA or not). It's basically whether it's a 'negative' or 'neutral' withdrawal. This varies from school to school. If it's the former it'll count as am F. If it's the latter they'll ignore it.

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 am

Last edited by hume85 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri May 18, 2012 10:28 am

The good news is you seem to be having success prepping for the LSAT. Cornell is probably a near lock with a 172 LSAT if your GPA is around 3.5.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri May 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Personally, OP, I don't think Cornell (or better) is that far out with your PTs. If your LSDAS is around 3.4 or so (with like, a 175 LSAT), you may even have a chance at ED to NYU.

There are people that have gotten ED with less:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ny8so

Alternatives, with even lower GPAs, include UVA:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/reallytallkid9

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri May 18, 2012 6:26 pm

hume85 wrote:Anything less than high 3.9 from UCSD is crap. You were never much of a student.
Worst necro ever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”