vanderbilt law school nickname?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
dudnaito
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 pm

vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby dudnaito » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:38 am

What nickname?

TLS Law School Profile

The Vanderbilt University Law School has a nickname. If you have heard it spoken before, this nickname might evoke something in you. Current students and alumni will say it with more than simple pride; professors and administrators also know the nickname, as do employers across the country.

User avatar
upalittletoolate
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:55 am

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby upalittletoolate » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 am

Vandy.

"This is why the school’s nickname, Vandy, has been so popular among students, graduates, and professors."

User avatar
Quine
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 am

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby Quine » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:20 am

upalittletoolate wrote:Vandy.

"This is why the school’s nickname, Vandy, has been so popular among students, graduates, and professors."


In his defense, that whole introduction is very poorly written.

GentlemanJim
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby GentlemanJim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am

Actually, aren't they referring to "Harvard of the South?"

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby artichoke » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:57 am

GentlemanJim wrote:Actually, aren't they referring to "Harvard of the South?"


Honestly when I read that profile I was confused about which one they were referring to as well.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:59 am

"Harvard of the South" usually refers to Duke.

User avatar
furrywalls
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby furrywalls » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:00 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:Actually, aren't they referring to "Harvard of the South?"


No, they are referring to Vandy. I read that too and remember thinking wtf kind of secret nickname are they referring to? I think the "harvard of the south" is a debatable title for duke, uva, and vandy but most probably think of duke.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby TT09 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:"Harvard of the South" usually refers to Duke.


+1

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby ihp12 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Harvard is the Vanderbilt of the North. :mrgreen:

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:58 pm

ihp12 wrote:Harvard is the Vanderbilt of the North. :mrgreen:


Since Washington DC is about halfway between Cambridge and Nashville, does that make Georgetown the Georgetown of the Mid-Atlantic?

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:15 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
ihp12 wrote:Harvard is the Vanderbilt of the North. :mrgreen:


Since Washington DC is about halfway between Cambridge and Nashville, does that make Georgetown the Georgetown of the Mid-Atlantic?


actually, yes, thats a very common name for the school, although people usually just shorten it to georgetown :wink:

User avatar
furrywalls
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby furrywalls » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:45 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
ihp12 wrote:Harvard is the Vanderbilt of the North. :mrgreen:


Since Washington DC is about halfway between Cambridge and Nashville, does that make Georgetown the Georgetown of the Mid-Atlantic?


actually, yes, thats a very common name for the school, although people usually just shorten it to georgetown :wink:


My names Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 am

furrywalls wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
ihp12 wrote:Harvard is the Vanderbilt of the North. :mrgreen:


Since Washington DC is about halfway between Cambridge and Nashville, does that make Georgetown the Georgetown of the Mid-Atlantic?


actually, yes, thats a very common name for the school, although people usually just shorten it to georgetown :wink:


My names Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump.


All Forrest Gumps are Forrest Gumps.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:08 am

CanadianWolf wrote:"Harvard of the South" usually refers to Duke.


I've heard this term used for so many schools (Rice, Duke, Vandy, even Emory).

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Google "Harvard of the South". Several universities appear including the Univ. of Georgia & the Univ. of Mississippi. Usually refers to either Duke or Vanderbilt, although Rice is also frequently noted. Since Goggle seems unable to definitively resolve this, we'll have to rely on Mapquest.

penn0Ler
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby penn0Ler » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:"Harvard of the South" usually refers to Duke.


I've heard this term used for so many schools (Rice, Duke, Vandy, even Emory).


"Anything that is the something of something isn't really the anything of anything."

-Lisa Simpson

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 pm

dudnaito wrote:will say it with more than simple pride

Possibly the most pretentious thing I've read this week.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:08 pm

VULS? or VULVA?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:09 pm

penn0Ler wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:"Harvard of the South" usually refers to Duke.


I've heard this term used for so many schools (Rice, Duke, Vandy, even Emory).


"Anything that is the something of something isn't really the anything of anything."

-Lisa Simpson


Yeah Idk why any anyone would want to publicly claim they are sweating Harvard's balls that hard (even if they do in secret).

kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby kehoema2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:21 pm

Blindmelon wrote:VULS? or VULVA?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:VULS? or VULVA?


Come to Nashville for the VULS, stay for the VULVA.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: vanderbilt law school nickname?

Postby lisjjen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:26 am

rad law wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:VULS? or VULVA?


Come to Nashville for the VULS, stay for the VULVA.


+1

Anyone who is dying to hold on to "Harvard of the South" is an idiot. Contextually, this means nothing. Just see what urban dictionary has to say about it. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Harvard%20of%20the%20South




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests