Free Law Preview vs. Work Another Week?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Free Law Preview vs. Make More $$?

Free Law Preview
21%
Make More $$
79%

Total votes: 19

thecubiclelife

Free Law Preview vs. Work Another Week?

Postby thecubiclelife » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 am

Here's the deal:

I just got the opportunity to take a free Law Preview course. However, in order to do so, I would have to quit my job a week earlier than I had originally intended (and make less money).

Is a free Law Preview course worth it? Is it worth an extra week of salary? Obviously I'm not going to post my exact salary, but suffice to say that it's enough to give me pause before accepting the Law Preview course offer.

stintez

Re: Free Law Preview vs. Work Another Week?

Postby stintez » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:13 am

make $$$$

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:14 am

Wish there'd been an option for "Quit Week Early, Go Camping."

Short of that, keep working, I say.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:15 am

Coming from somebody who is taking law preview for free this summer, I'd say stick with your job.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 am

Core wrote:Coming from somebody who is taking law preview for free this summer, I'd say stick with your job.

law preview not helpful?

Core

Postby Core » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:16 pm

tram988 wrote:
Core wrote:Coming from somebody who is taking law preview for free this summer, I'd say stick with your job.

law preview not helpful?

I haven't taken it yet, but judging from what I've been told/read on TLS, it won't be of assistance grade-wise.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Core wrote:I haven't taken it yet, but judging from what I've been told/read on TLS, it won't be of assistance grade-wise.

TLS IS REALITY, ALL THE TIME.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Core wrote:
tram988 wrote:

law preview not helpful?

I haven't taken it yet, but judging from what I've been told/read on TLS, it won't be of assistance grade-wise.

it's not worth the $$, but if you get it for free, why not try it out? i've heard that content-wise, it's not that helpful, but it does offer tips on outlining, note-preparation, etc which might have an indirect impact.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:48 pm

I think it depends on how much money you're forgoing. Consensus on here/what I've heard from 2Ls and 1Ls is that it isn't particularly helpful, but if you don't have much else better to do, it probably won't hurt.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I haven't taken law preview, so take this with a grain of salt (I'm going off of opinions of others as regards its usefulness).

If you are making $1000 or more a week, I'd say it isn't worth it--I'd rather have the cash in hand. Every dollar you aren't making is basically a dollar you are paying for the course (unless you hate your job more than you'd hate the course), so I think a salary of in the range of $500-700/week is where I'd be heavily leaning towards taking the course myself, and anything over that I'd be hesitating to take the course. Keep in mind every dollar you put towards loans now is a dollar + interest you save.

I'm assuming here that you don't have additional travel expenses etc. for Law Preview.

thecubiclelife

Postby thecubiclelife » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 pm

In case anyone cares, I decided to use the excuse to leave my pointless job a week early and spend some time with my boyfriend in NYC. I am literally dancing in my room at the thought of giving notice to my boss this Friday. Squee!

Return to “Law School FAQ”