Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
cr073137
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby cr073137 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:22 am

mz253 wrote:i think they don't give scholarships to international students? i guess my lsat will not leave me that many options.



NOT TRUE!! I'm an international student, and I received full rides from several T1 schools and over half tuition at 5 Top 30 schools. The only school that told me, "sorry, no money for international students" was U Iowa, which also has a higher application fee for us. DO NOT APPLY THERE.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:35 am

romothesavior wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.




So if 100k with debt = 60k with no debt, then someone with a 100k salary and law school debt will be paying 40k in loans towards that debt? Interesting analysis.


Ever heard of a progressive tax system?

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 am

bceagles182 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.




So if 100k with debt = 60k with no debt, then someone with a 100k salary and law school debt will be paying 40k in loans towards that debt? Interesting analysis.


Ever heard of a progressive tax system?


And with higher fixed costs, you'll need to scale up that emergency fund accordingly.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby mz253 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:38 pm

cr073137 wrote:
mz253 wrote:i think they don't give scholarships to international students? i guess my lsat will not leave me that many options.



NOT TRUE!! I'm an international student, and I received full rides from several T1 schools and over half tuition at 5 Top 30 schools. The only school that told me, "sorry, no money for international students" was U Iowa, which also has a higher application fee for us. DO NOT APPLY THERE.


well, i guess my stats are not as impressive as you are so i don't have a chance ;-(

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby mz253 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:
mz253 wrote:why? college is 50k+, law school is 60K+, counting inflation, i feel i'm paying the same, but probably just a little more? assuming i don't go to school in NYC.


:shock:

Who in their right mind would spend 50k a year for undergrad?


i didn't. but more than half people at my school did.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 pm

mz253 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
mz253 wrote:why? college is 50k+, law school is 60K+, counting inflation, i feel i'm paying the same, but probably just a little more? assuming i don't go to school in NYC.


:shock:

Who in their right mind would spend 50k a year for undergrad?


i didn't. but more than half people at my school did.



I didn't either. My parents did.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby sumus romani » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Seems to me that this thread has gotten off of the topic of the title and OP's original comment. The short answer is that there is no non T14 school with good employment prospects. Some schools within the T14 don't have good employment prospects either. Good luck on your cycle.

User avatar
calgal17
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby calgal17 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:03 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.

But then again I do not consider it completely out of the realm of possiblity that the Dow jumps 3k points tomorrow and NY goes to 190 next year lol


Oh please that's not true, at least for CA. I lived on half of that in SF and San Diego. It's nowhere near the poverty level. Maybe you can't have an extravagant life, but let's not use the word poverty here. And yes, you're spoiled.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby mz253 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:06 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
mz253 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
mz253 wrote:why? college is 50k+, law school is 60K+, counting inflation, i feel i'm paying the same, but probably just a little more? assuming i don't go to school in NYC.


:shock:

Who in their right mind would spend 50k a year for undergrad?


i didn't. but more than half people at my school did.



I didn't either. My parents did.


well, i didn't. my school did.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby mz253 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:08 pm

sumus romani wrote:Seems to me that this thread has gotten off of the topic of the title and OP's original comment. The short answer is that there is no non T14 school with good employment prospects. Some schools within the T14 don't have good employment prospects either. Good luck on your cycle.


seriously? i just started google JD in other countries. it seems that U of Melbourne has a cheap JD option. I may just go there since the tuition is only 89000 australian dollars for 3 years.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:42 pm

calgal17 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.

But then again I do not consider it completely out of the realm of possiblity that the Dow jumps 3k points tomorrow and NY goes to 190 next year lol


Oh please that's not true, at least for CA. I lived on half of that in SF and San Diego. It's nowhere near the poverty level. Maybe you can't have an extravagant life, but let's not use the word poverty here. And yes, you're spoiled.


Extravagant my ass. You'd end up in a miserable paycheck to paycheck treadmill. I don't consider being able to buy a half-decent house with 20% down, being able to save for retirement, and being able to have 8-12 months' expenses in savings, while having no credit card debt and not eating ramen to be an "extravagant" life. And I don't consider myself spoiled for wanting such things out of my paycheck, and I will not apologize for it.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby im_blue » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:23 pm

mz253 wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Seems to me that this thread has gotten off of the topic of the title and OP's original comment. The short answer is that there is no non T14 school with good employment prospects. Some schools within the T14 don't have good employment prospects either. Good luck on your cycle.


seriously? i just started google JD in other countries. it seems that U of Melbourne has a cheap JD option. I may just go there since the tuition is only 89000 australian dollars for 3 years.

That's still about 25k USD per year. You could attend a decent private (with $) or public U.S. law school for about that much.

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby mz253 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 pm

nah... american schools are way more expensive. i remember UC Davies is like 48000 for internaitonal and Vandy the same. I don't know any school that charge less than 35000.

but you are probably right because australian lawyers get paid much less though.


im_blue wrote:
mz253 wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Seems to me that this thread has gotten off of the topic of the title and OP's original comment. The short answer is that there is no non T14 school with good employment prospects. Some schools within the T14 don't have good employment prospects either. Good luck on your cycle.


seriously? i just started google JD in other countries. it seems that U of Melbourne has a cheap JD option. I may just go there since the tuition is only 89000 australian dollars for 3 years.

That's still about 25k USD per year. You could attend a decent private (with $) or public U.S. law school for about that much.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:02 pm

mz253 wrote:nah... american schools are way more expensive. i remember UC Davies is like 48000 for internaitonal and Vandy the same. I don't know any school that charge less than 35000.

but you are probably right because australian lawyers get paid much less though.


im_blue wrote:
mz253 wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Seems to me that this thread has gotten off of the topic of the title and OP's original comment. The short answer is that there is no non T14 school with good employment prospects. Some schools within the T14 don't have good employment prospects either. Good luck on your cycle.


seriously? i just started google JD in other countries. it seems that U of Melbourne has a cheap JD option. I may just go there since the tuition is only 89000 australian dollars for 3 years.

That's still about 25k USD per year. You could attend a decent private (with $) or public U.S. law school for about that much.


In that case, try Canada. McGill/U of Toronto are about $35k/yr Canadian, and Canadian biglaw pays $100k-ish (Toronto, ~$85k in Calgary). (American firms in Canada pay much more, i.e. Skadden Toronto at $140k).

User avatar
calgal17
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby calgal17 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:53 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.

But then again I do not consider it completely out of the realm of possiblity that the Dow jumps 3k points tomorrow and NY goes to 190 next year lol


Oh please that's not true, at least for CA. I lived on half of that in SF and San Diego. It's nowhere near the poverty level. Maybe you can't have an extravagant life, but let's not use the word poverty here. And yes, you're spoiled.


Extravagant my ass. You'd end up in a miserable paycheck to paycheck treadmill. I don't consider being able to buy a half-decent house with 20% down, being able to save for retirement, and being able to have 8-12 months' expenses in savings, while having no credit card debt and not eating ramen to be an "extravagant" life. And I don't consider myself spoiled for wanting such things out of my paycheck, and I will not apologize for it.


My point was more so that it wouldn't be "poverty level." But you're right that you could not buy a house on that.

OG Loc
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby OG Loc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:20 am

calgal17 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.

But then again I do not consider it completely out of the realm of possiblity that the Dow jumps 3k points tomorrow and NY goes to 190 next year lol


Oh please that's not true, at least for CA. I lived on half of that in SF and San Diego. It's nowhere near the poverty level. Maybe you can't have an extravagant life, but let's not use the word poverty here. And yes, you're spoiled.


+1, thank you. Not true for NY or Boston either.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 am

OG Loc wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.

But then again I do not consider it completely out of the realm of possiblity that the Dow jumps 3k points tomorrow and NY goes to 190 next year lol


Oh please that's not true, at least for CA. I lived on half of that in SF and San Diego. It's nowhere near the poverty level. Maybe you can't have an extravagant life, but let's not use the word poverty here. And yes, you're spoiled.


+1, thank you. Not true for NY or Boston either.


I'll concede Boston, but it's most definitely true of NY.

User avatar
Shot007
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby Shot007 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 am

motiontodismiss wrote:In that case, try Canada. McGill/U of Toronto are about $35k/yr Canadian, and Canadian biglaw pays $100k-ish (Toronto, ~$85k in Calgary). (American firms in Canada pay much more, i.e. Skadden Toronto at $140k).


Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about, based on the top 3 Canadian schools,
U of Toronto is about 28,000 CDN
MCGill is about 13,000,
Osgoode(York) is about 17,500
...a far cry from 35,000CDN...I must say though it is pretty difficult to get accepted in Canada (only 16 schools and a pretty large amount of applicants...Osgoode for example had over 3,000 applicant for 290 spots this past year). McGill on the other hand requires Bilingualism, so thats hard to crack into. Finally, U of Toronto, has 167 & 3.8 Medians, at that point u can probably crack t14 anyway. Proof that Canada is a hard place to get into law school lies in the fact that many applicants seeking a chance to become lawyers (like myself) end up sending most of their applications south.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:04 am

Shot007 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:In that case, try Canada. McGill/U of Toronto are about $35k/yr Canadian, and Canadian biglaw pays $100k-ish (Toronto, ~$85k in Calgary). (American firms in Canada pay much more, i.e. Skadden Toronto at $140k).


Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about, based on the top 3 Canadian schools,
U of Toronto is about 28,000 CDN
MCGill is about 13,000,
Osgoode(York) is about 17,500
...a far cry from 35,000CDN...I must say though it is pretty difficult to get accepted in Canada (only 16 schools and a pretty large amount of applicants...Osgoode for example had over 3,000 applicant for 290 spots this past year). McGill on the other hand requires Bilingualism, so thats hard to crack into. Finally, U of Toronto, has 167 & 3.8 Medians, at that point u can probably crack t14 anyway. Proof that Canada is a hard place to get into law school lies in the fact that many applicants seeking a chance to become lawyers (like myself) end up sending most of their applications south.


Even better. Call it total COA.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:10 am

OP:

When you apply to UC Davies, make sure you write the optional "Why Davies" essay. It will show them you really want to be here. Good luck buddy!

OG Loc
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby OG Loc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:01 am

motiontodismiss wrote:I'll concede Boston, but it's most definitely true of NY.


Then I know a shitload of people living in poverty.

*and I find it amusing that the TLS typing box recognizes "shitload" as a correctly spelled word

kmap
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby kmap » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 am

Why is everybody spelling "UC Davis" as "UC Davies"? Is there some kind of in-joke here I'm missing?

User avatar
dominkay
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby dominkay » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:13 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
mz253 wrote:160K is great. but i'm realistic. get a job, and see how i do. if i'm good, i'll make more money later. but i think 60000 will make a comfortable life.


60k in NY/BOS/SF/LA=poverty level. If you're borrowing up the ass for law school, you'll need to make $100k to have the same standard of living as someone making $60k with no debt.

I'd be happy with $125k/yr (no debt) but maybe I'm just spoiled.

But then again I do not consider it completely out of the realm of possiblity that the Dow jumps 3k points tomorrow and NY goes to 190 next year lol


Oh please that's not true, at least for CA. I lived on half of that in SF and San Diego. It's nowhere near the poverty level. Maybe you can't have an extravagant life, but let's not use the word poverty here. And yes, you're spoiled.


Extravagant my ass. You'd end up in a miserable paycheck to paycheck treadmill. I don't consider being able to buy a half-decent house with 20% down, being able to save for retirement, and being able to have 8-12 months' expenses in savings, while having no credit card debt and not eating ramen to be an "extravagant" life. And I don't consider myself spoiled for wanting such things out of my paycheck, and I will not apologize for it.


I don't think you understand what "poverty" actually means. Buying a house with 20% down is not a "basic need," even if it feels that way to you.

User avatar
calgal17
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby calgal17 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:55 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:OP:

When you apply to UC Davies, make sure you write the optional "Why Davies" essay. It will show them you really want to be here. Good luck buddy!


:wink: <3

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Non T14 schools with good employment prospects?

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:39 pm

dominkay wrote:I don't think you understand what "poverty" actually means. Buying a house with 20% down is not a "basic need," even if it feels that way to you.


CoL index in NY is ~250. Take the national poverty level and multiply x2.5 and I assure you you'll get something close to $45k.

Merriam Webster Dictionary wrote:Poverty= the state of one who lacks a usual or socially acceptable amount of money or material possessions.


Hence, the definition of the word poverty is subjective. I define it as someone unable to:
1. provide for themselves any safety net (which I define as 8-12 months' expenses),
2. adequately address current needs without going into credit card debt, and
3. reasonably scale down their lifestyle to adapt to any reduction in income.

You're completely unable to save anything off a $60k paycheck in New York City, period, let alone $40k. That is, without living on cat food and cold cereal.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests