Room & Board 9-month

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
HazelEyes

Re: Room & Board 9-month

Postby HazelEyes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:I'm wondering if any of you guys have actually lived on your own before. I mean, actually paid your own way without mommy/daddy/sugar-daddy/SO footing the bill.

If you're paying 1,000 per month for rent, it will be (hard, but) [strike]next to im[/strike] possible to live off of 1,300. [strike]Utilities[/strike] (find a place where they're included), food (shouldn't be more than $50 per wk), [strike]personal items[/strike] (if you're that broke, suck it up and live as broke as you are), some clothes (this shouldn't be that much, if anything; presumably you already own clothing, and it's not like law school requires new clothing), [strike]medication[/strike] (our fearless leader will take care of your health expenses), [strike]transport/travel expenses[/strike] (don't travel if you can't afford it), alcohol (cheap vodka FTW) will melt through that money so quickly.

Having lived in NYC- which has an insanely high COL, and knowing that DC (where i'm headed) can actually be worse, because there are less stores, less options, i'm really worried about finances.

FTFY

LOL, actually loved your remake. 'Course I hope I don’t end up as your roomie, seeing as you're going to cut out personal items, deodorant, soap, shampoo, etc.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:13 pm

HazelEyes wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:I'm wondering if any of you guys have actually lived on your own before. I mean, actually paid your own way without mommy/daddy/sugar-daddy/SO footing the bill.

If you're paying 1,000 per month for rent, it will be (hard, but) [strike]next to im[/strike] possible to live off of 1,300. [strike]Utilities[/strike] (find a place where they're included), food (shouldn't be more than $50 per wk), [strike]personal items[/strike] (if you're that broke, suck it up and live as broke as you are), some clothes (this shouldn't be that much, if anything; presumably you already own clothing, and it's not like law school requires new clothing), [strike]medication[/strike] (our fearless leader will take care of your health expenses), [strike]transport/travel expenses[/strike] (don't travel if you can't afford it), alcohol (cheap vodka FTW) will melt through that money so quickly.

Having lived in NYC- which has an insanely high COL, and knowing that DC (where i'm headed) can actually be worse, because there are less stores, less options, i'm really worried about finances.

FTFY

LOL, actually loved your remake. 'Course I hope I don’t end up as your roomie, seeing as you're going to cut out personal items, deodorant, soap, shampoo, etc.

Yo, I'm guaranteed top 10% when my odor distracts the entire room during finals.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:What is the problem with getting as roommate, if you don't mind me asking? I've lived in 3 different apartments with roommates, never met any of my roommates before moving in, and never had a problem. I think people overstate/overestimate the difficulty of living with someone else (though, to be fair, I've never had the kind of money that makes living alone really feasible, so for all I know having an apartment to yourself is just beyond compare).

It's my quirk. I'm really uncomfortable relaxing around people. I wouldn't feel comfortable cooking, showering, watching tv, going away for weekends... I'd basically stay in my room the whole time and as a result really may as well get a little bitty studio. I live with my boyfriend and that's fine, and around immediate family that's fine... but get anyone even slightly distant and it's a no-go.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Once your lawsuit gets settled, you should be all set for your three years and beyond. :D

By the way sibley, are you for sure going to GW? We miss you over in the WUSTL thread.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:Once your lawsuit gets settled, you should be all set for your three years and beyond. :D

By the way sibley, are you for sure going to GW? We miss you over in the WUSTL thread.

Yeah I picked GW. I still go in the washu thread sometimes but not much to say when everyone discusses housing and golf =P also, my mom is mad. she wants me to go to brooklyn. she and all her small-town upstate ny assistant da friends think it's insane to pick paying over free when they're both t100.

Return to “Law School FAQ”