Room & Board 9-month

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
sibley

Room & Board 9-month

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 pm

My school has budgeted $16,500 for me for room and board for the school year. What do I do with the summer months? Should I be trying to find something cheap enough to let me stretch it out fully over 12 months instead of 9 (impossible without also purchasing a car and a $500/semester parking permit, btw)? How is it supposed to be done?

Tautology

Re: Room & Board 9-month

Postby Tautology » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Get a job?

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:31 pm

I had the same question (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=118608) and only one person was helpful on this. It seems you either get a job (any job at that) or try to get some sort of funding for an internship/public interest job.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:38 pm

lallygag wrote:I had the same question (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=118608) and only one person was helpful on this. It seems you either get a job (any job at that) or try to get some sort of funding for an internship/public interest job.

I mean...is this really a weird concept? Plenty of people work in public interest and wait tables or what have you in the evenings. It sucks, but its what you have to do if you don't get a paid legal gig.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
lallygag wrote:I had the same question (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=118608) and only one person was helpful on this. It seems you either get a job (any job at that) or try to get some sort of funding for an internship/public interest job.

I mean...is this really a weird concept? Plenty of people work in public interest and wait tables or what have you in the evenings. It sucks, but its what you have to do if you don't get a paid legal gig.

I expect do something like that over the summer in the evenings but I have a full schedule for the year (I plan on interning and it requires 25 hrs a week). I don't expect pt summer work to cover the full amount, and up to a point I can reduce my costs more than they thought... but... it seems quite tricky. Maybe most people get roommates?

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 pm

sibley wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

I expect do something like that over the summer in the evenings but I have a full schedule for the year (I plan on interning and it requires 25 hrs a week). I don't expect pt summer work to cover the full amount, and up to a point I can reduce my costs more than they thought... but... it seems quite tricky. Maybe most people get roommates?

yup.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:48 pm

How is $1375 a month not enough? You'll be in DC, I get that, but still. Is housing that out of control in DC that you can't get a studio for around $1k?

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:How is $1375 a month not enough? You'll be in DC, I get that, but still. Is housing that out of control in DC that you can't get a studio for around $1k?

Housing: $1,000/month (assuming you can get this. Studios are usually 1200-1300.
Utilities: ~ 150/month
Parking: ~500/month..

1375 per month is no where near enough to get by in DC. Get a part time job or get some additional loans to cover yourself.

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:00 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:How is $1375 a month not enough? You'll be in DC, I get that, but still. Is housing that out of control in DC that you can't get a studio for around $1k?

Housing: $1,000/month (assuming you can get this. Studios are usually 1200-1300.
[strike]Parking: ~500/month..[/strike]

1375 per month is no where near enough to get by in DC. Get a part time job or get some additional loans to cover yourself.

Why would anyone have a car in a major city? $1150/month still leaves over $200/month for groceries and stuff. Getting a part-time job over the summer as well should make that more than manageable.

Edit: to add that if it really is impossible to find a decent enough studio for $1k, then just get roommates.
Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

It's not a weird concept at all. I understand that sometimes it's necessary and I'm fine with that. I just wouldn't want to get stuck not getting ANY legal experience during my summers and having it bite me in the ass down the road.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:15 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:

Why would anyone have a car in a major city? $1150/month still leaves over $200/month for groceries and stuff. Getting a part-time job over the summer as well should make that more than manageable.

Edit: to add that if it really is impossible to find a decent enough studio for $1k, then just get roommates.

Studios will cost 1300+, with roommates you'll pay about the same but have the benefit of separate living/sleeping spaces and probably a nicer kitchen. To get something 1k I'd have to move far enough away where I'd need a car and that'd up my costs significantly.

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Roommates.com my friend, you need to find someone else in the area and move in, that will cut your rent to 600 - 700 a month. You don't need a car in DC, the metro will get you anywhere you need to go, and you will make friends to get around. As far as getting a job is concerned you take your chances just like all of the other students from Catholic, American, Gtown, GW, George Mason and and the staffers from the the hill will be taking those jobs, unless you have some connection or another. If you don't mind living in DC NE, you can reduce the rate, but its a crime ridden area. Stay away from SE and Anacostia, VA. You can also live in Northern VA. The metro or train will get you around town anywhere from FAirfax county to Baltimore to Alexandria. Your just going to have to deal with a commute. Or sell your soul and get private student loans....

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:35 pm

sibley wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:

Studios will cost 1300+, with roommates you'll pay about the same but have the benefit of separate living/sleeping spaces and probably a nicer kitchen. To get something 1k I'd have to move far enough away where I'd need a car and that'd up my costs significantly.

Plus with roomies you get to split thos efixed costs like internet, cable (if your going that route and some of the fees that change every month like water, gas and electric

jrodz80

Postby jrodz80 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Is there such a thing as year-round dorms???

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:39 pm

jrodz80 wrote:Is there such a thing as year-round dorms???

I mean, you can stay in some of them year round...

As for roommates... can't handle that. No way jose. Prefer crappy tiny studio.

But I figured it out... the school also allots 3200 in 'personal expenses' per year, a lot of which can be put towards housing/food- they already cover transportation, health, books, computer, etc. If you take out 100 a month for ACTUAL personal expenses that still gets you an extra 160 bucks or so, which makes it a lot easier to find a place to rent year round without accumulating extra debt.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:

Public Transportation is not free. If you live far enough for cheap rent the cost of public transportation goes up (if you live in DC the metro is distance based). I would estimate you pay $180-$200 in public transportation costs (oh and fares are going up)

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:28 am

I'm wondering if any of you guys have actually lived on your own before. I mean, actually paid your own way without mommy/daddy/sugar-daddy/SO footing the bill.

If you're paying 1,000 per month for rent, it will be next to impossible to live off of 1,300. Utilities, food, personal items, some clothes, medication, transport/travel expenses, alcohol will melt through that money so quickly.

Having lived in NYC- which has an insanely high COL, and knowing that DC (where i'm headed) can actually be worse, because there are less stores, less options, i'm really worried about finances.

mardimar

Postby mardimar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:44 am

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:47 am

Doritos wrote:Public Transportation is not free. If you live far enough for cheap rent the cost of public transportation goes up (if you live in DC the metro is distance based). I would estimate you pay $180-$200 in public transportation costs (oh and fares are going up)

THIS. Just moved from inside the city to the outskirts. I spend $200 a month on transportation instead of the ~$60 I was paying before. Living in fear of the fare hike.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:48 am

berkeleykel06 wrote:
Doritos wrote:Public Transportation is not free. If you live far enough for cheap rent the cost of public transportation goes up (if you live in DC the metro is distance based). I would estimate you pay $180-$200 in public transportation costs (oh and fares are going up)

THIS. Just moved from inside the city to the outskirts. I spend $200 a month on transportation instead of the ~$60 I was paying before. Living in fear of the fare hike.

I don't know about DC schools, but at Northwestern we get a unlimited CTA pass, and can ride trains and buses without paying fare.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 am

HazelEyes wrote:I'm wondering if any of you guys have actually lived on your own before. I mean, actually paid your own way without mommy/daddy/sugar-daddy/SO footing the bill.

If you're paying 1,000 per month for rent, it will be next to impossible to live off of 1,300. Utilities, food, personal items, some clothes, medication, transport/travel expenses, alcohol will melt through that money so quickly.

Having lived in NYC- which has an insanely high COL, and knowing that DC (where i'm headed) can actually be worse, because there are less stores, less options, i'm really worried about finances.

Yeah I have an apartment with my boyfriend now. COL here is super low but it's still a little hard (apt is 905 inc. util&net, is in most popular neighborhood, has a rooftop terrace, etc) I really don't want a roommate but might have to go that route. But the alcohol budget... honestly I need my brain cells. And my cash.

HazelEyes

Postby HazelEyes » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:47 pm

sibley wrote:
HazelEyes wrote:I'm wondering if any of you guys have actually lived on your own before. I mean, actually paid your own way without mommy/daddy/sugar-daddy/SO footing the bill.

Yeah I have an apartment with my boyfriend now. COL here is super low but it's still a little hard (apt is 905 inc. util&net, is in most popular neighborhood, has a rooftop terrace, etc) I really don't want a roommate but might have to go that route. But the alcohol budget... honestly I need my brain cells. And my cash.

You mean COL in DC, or COL of wherever you are right now?

BTW, the alcohol thing was partially a joke. Alcohol has never been a big part of my budget. Yay for cheap NYC bars!

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:03 pm

I live on my own now and as much as I hate to have a roommate, I am biting the bullet.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:48 pm

What is the problem with getting as roommate, if you don't mind me asking? I've lived in 3 different apartments with roommates, never met any of my roommates before moving in, and never had a problem. I think people overstate/overestimate the difficulty of living with someone else (though, to be fair, I've never had the kind of money that makes living alone really feasible, so for all I know having an apartment to yourself is just beyond compare).

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:53 pm

If you're paying 1,000 per month for rent, it will be (hard, but) [strike]next to im[/strike] possible to live off of 1,300. [strike]Utilities[/strike] (find a place where they're included), food (shouldn't be more than $50 per wk), [strike]personal items[/strike] (if you're that broke, suck it up and live as broke as you are), some clothes (this shouldn't be that much, if anything; presumably you already own clothing, and it's not like law school requires new clothing), [strike]medication[/strike] (our fearless leader will take care of your health expenses), [strike]transport/travel expenses[/strike] (don't travel if you can't afford it), alcohol (cheap vodka FTW) will melt through that money so quickly.

FTFY

Return to “Law School FAQ”