Does the School matter THAT much?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
VA LawDog

Re: Does the School matter THAT much?

Postby VA LawDog » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:53 am

Nightrunner wrote:
VA LawDog wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:I am taking my LSAT next week, and I went up from a 136 to 155 in my PT's and I hope to get into the high 150's low 160's and I was wondering if any school really matters on how successful you become. I used to work for a firm as an intern, and my boss was raking in about 1.3 mil a year and he graduated from Whittier, which from what I can tell is not a great school. Does anyone else hear any stories like this or know if the school really does matter from past experiences?

the earnings potential, job opportunities, networking, etc. etc. that exists for T14 grads far surpasses that of lower-ranked schools.

A good metric is the % that are placed into NLJ 250 firms. Go see for yourself.

Where can I find that information?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=108605&p=2605961&hilit=nlj+250+placement#p2605961

Thnx, Nightrunner!

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 pm

I am pretty special to be honest. My writing ability is phenomenal, it's just standardized tests kill me. I am a sports journalist for a couple of websites, and I hope that my law degree and networking in law school can help me in becoming a sports agent or journalist. Sports is my passion, although I enjoy law, working with athletes, or even writing about athletes is what I really want to do, and I know a J.D. could get me closer to my dream than anything else.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I am pretty special to be honest.

everyone thinks this. kudos for having the balls to say it.

p.s. you aren't

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I am pretty special to be honest. My writing ability is phenomenal, it's just standardized tests kill me. I am a sports journalist for a couple of websites, and I hope that my law degree and networking in law school can help me in becoming a sports agent or journalist. Sports is my passion, although I enjoy law, working with athletes, or even writing about athletes is what I really want to do, and I know a J.D. could get me closer to my dream than anything else.

interesting...

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:03 pm

OP, you're not special. You'll become a better person if you realize that.
On the other hand, it really depends on what you want to do as a lawyer.
I'm going T25 or bust (or even T14 or bust)- while my sister's boyfriend has no BigLaw ambitions.. he just wants to be a small-town lawyer, so he won't need to go to a T14 to achieve what he wants to from law school..

Postby 06072010 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:05 pm

I've often thought about attending dental school to help me manage my barber shop.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I am pretty special to be honest. My writing ability is phenomenal, it's just standardized tests kill me. I am a sports journalist for a couple of websites, and I hope that my law degree and networking in law school can help me in becoming a sports agent or journalist. Sports is my passion, although I enjoy law, working with athletes, or even writing about athletes is what I really want to do, and I know a J.D. could get me closer to my dream than anything else.

Bahaha he actually said it.

Postby 06072010 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:13 pm

I would want to be a sports journalist so I could get closer to Michelle Beadle.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Have fun wasting your money.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:34 pm

PKSebben wrote:I would want to be a sports journalist so I could get closer to Michelle Beadle.

hahaha ... love that show, but do you think she is hot?

Postby 06072010 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:53 pm

PKSebben wrote:--ImageRemoved--

haha she is ok I guess...

Anyways, if you like sports nation... The Herd with Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio is a great show (that is if you do not watch Sports Nation just because of Michelle Beadle)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:56 pm

PKSebben wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Is that supposed to prove she's hot? :?

THIS is a hot sports journalist:

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 06072010 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:59 pm

I listen to his show, but I have to admit I watch Sportsnation for the Beadle. It's not about hot -- She has a dog named Leeroy Jenkins. She can talk intelligently about sports. She's pretty cute. If I learned she played Magic cards I'd divorce my wife and pine over her 24/7. (Kidding, honey).

Her only downside is that she's not a fan of Tebow. It was just never meant to be, I guess. :(

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:11 am

Thanks guys for all the "help". And it's not OP it's oblivion. I really don't feel like sitting here and explaining myself, people always told me the world of law is full of jackasses and douche bags, seems like I'm getting firsthand experience on this site.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:15 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:Thanks guys for all the "help". And it's not OP it's oblivion. I really don't feel like sitting here and explaining myself, people always told me the world of law is full of jackasses and douche bags, seems like I'm getting firsthand experience on this site.

:lol: :lol: This seriously makes me laugh!

OP means original poster, which is you in this case (the person who posted the thread).

You apparently haven't been on the internet much, but internet forums, and the internet in general, is a haven for people acting like "jackasses and douche bags." Anonymity will do that. This has nothing to do with the law specifically and everything to do with the series of tubes we like to call the internet.

People actually helped you by giving you the honest truth. If you don't like it then tough luck for you. They could have only mocked you but instead gave you advice (on top of the mocking). Be thankful for that.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:54 am

Oh sorry didn't know about the OP thing. Yeah I've been on plenty of forums, usually it's the douche bags with no social skills that troll around sites like these. Honestly what people don't get(and I am aiming this at the people who told me "i'm not special", and any other negative comment I have received on this site) is that life should not be centered around reality and expectations that other people have of you. Honestly, it's all BS. What school you go to, what background you have, what chances have been given to you in life, it's all stupid labels. If you don't see yourself as special then what the fuck are you? Another number? Another organism living in the world? Well you guys can be apart of the world working with everyone as a whole, but I would like to be special. Laugh at this post all you want, but one day when your lost in the bullshit of being a lawyer, I'm actually going to try to make a difference. No point in explaining it here, I can smell the smug already.

mstaten

Postby mstaten » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:01 am

1. Take everything you read on the TLS forums with a grain of salt.

2. The "world of law" isn't just full of jackasses and douchebags, the entire planet is. Get used to it.

3. In my honest opinion, if you don't want to be a lawyer, first and foremost, perhaps you should rethink going to law school.

4. Lastly, it's your fucking life. You call the shots. If you think that getting a JD will help support your careers goals, by all means, get one.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:18 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:Oh sorry didn't know about the OP thing. Yeah I've been on plenty of forums, usually it's the douche bags with no social skills that troll around sites like these. Honestly what people don't get(and I am aiming this at the people who told me "i'm not special", and any other negative comment I have received on this site) is that life should not be centered around reality and expectations that other people have of you. Honestly, it's all BS. What school you go to, what background you have, what chances have been given to you in life, it's all stupid labels. If you don't see yourself as special then what the fuck are you? Another number? Another organism living in the world? Well you guys can be apart of the world working with everyone as a whole, but I would like to be special. Laugh at this post all you want, but one day when your lost in the bullshit of being a lawyer, I'm actually going to try to make a difference. No point in explaining it here, I can smell the smug already.

While the importance of labels may be stupid, the point is that people (read: hiring partners at law firms) pay attention to them. As unfair as it may be, and as much as it might be the way things ought not to be, it is the way things are. If you want to work within the system, you must pay attention to the way the system operates.

Gonna go ahead and say it, but life should be centered on reality because reality is all we have.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:29 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:Oh sorry didn't know about the OP thing. Yeah I've been on plenty of forums, usually it's the douche bags with no social skills that troll around sites like these. Honestly what people don't get(and I am aiming this at the people who told me "i'm not special", and any other negative comment I have received on this site) is that life should not be centered around reality and expectations that other people have of you. Honestly, it's all BS. What school you go to, what background you have, what chances have been given to you in life, it's all stupid labels. If you don't see yourself as special then what the fuck are you? Another number? Another organism living in the world? Well you guys can be apart of the world working with everyone as a whole, but I would like to be special. Laugh at this post all you want, but one day when your lost in the bullshit of being a lawyer, I'm actually going to try to make a difference. No point in explaining it here, I can smell the smug already.

Whether you want to hear it or now, whether it's "fair" or not, law is a field dominated by prestige. This does not make law unique. In any profession in which there exists an oversupply of labor, the individuals in administrative poisitions look to use shortcuts in selecting from within the talent pool. Credentials are usually the favored metrics since they are easy to use and familiar.

Does this mean a Seton Hall grad can't succeed? No, it doesn't. It just makes the statistical likelihood so small that it's not worth your time or money. TLS is all about playing the odds; if you want to take 200k of your hard earned money and burn it on far worse odds than you'd have at a blackjack table, by all means, be our guest. We can't stop you. But if you are going to willfully shut your eyes to reality, call yourself a special snowflake, and say the odds don't apply to you, we'll all tell you that you're an idiot. You can't wish away reality because you don't like it.

creatinganalt

Postby creatinganalt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:40 am

Asking this in a non douchey way - if you are such a phenomenal writer and great networker, why can't you become a journalist without law school? I know that for a sports agent it is helpful to have an advanced degree but I can't see how a law degree helps you become a better sports journalist.

Everyone on here thinks they are special in some way. And most people think they can beat the odds. But most people don't. And honestly you seem a bit sensitive to douchebaggery for someone who hangs around with professional athletes.

What's wrong with TLS - not enough rapists for you?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:27 am

Oblivion_08 wrote: one day when your lost in the bullshit of being a lawyer, I'm actually going to try to make a difference.

Keep telling yourself that and it won't matter whether it's actually true or not :lol:

Oh, and it's "you're."

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 pm

I am so sad that no one made a meme with the following quote...

badwithpseudonyms wrote:You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else

I would but I'm at work and it's banned :(
I love fightclub

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Like I said no point in explaining myself here. It's hard to really express yourself over the site. I'm gonna try to kick my LSAT's ass, and frankly I am going to law school because I feel like nothing else interests me. Going to law school, specializing in entertainment law and getting with athletes could open that door for me into the sports agent world. And if all else fails I have a JD to fall back on. I mean I am 20 for christ sake. And i'll be 24 by the time I have a JD, so I have some wiggle room with my career.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Yes maybe I have said some pretty "uneducated" things, but I am in the finals days before my LSAT, my mind is clouded. Thanks for all the advice guys, hopefully I get into the best school possible and get to where I wanna be..wherever that may be.

Return to “Law School FAQ”