Need something for SO to do in Boston

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed May 26, 2010 4:41 pm

okay, im not sure this is the right thread for this but...

im going up to Cambridge this fall and my gf is going up w/ me for about 2-2.5 months. she'll be staying w/ me and will not really need to make money, but i dont want her to go stir crazy for the time she is up there. anyone have suggestions for what she can do to occupy her time?

we wont have a car and my place will be close to Harvard, and we arent from the north. she's planning on studying for her grad school apps in the health field, but she wont be applying for that till next yr spring. besides some light studying, i have no idea what she could do!

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

User avatar
sayan
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby sayan » Wed May 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Attend interesting Harvard UG classes :lol: Do they even check identity?

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby d34d9823 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:50 pm

sayan wrote:Attend interesting Harvard UG classes :lol: Do they even check identity?

This would be amazing. You could even submit work and schmooze your profs for LORs.

User avatar
Jackie O
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:34 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby Jackie O » Wed May 26, 2010 4:52 pm

volunteer at one of the many hospitals in Boston? will keep her busy and add to her grad school apps in the health field

AtticusFinch
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby AtticusFinch » Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 pm

First off she will not need a car the T will take you anywhere you want to go. Google things to do in Boston, you will get a whole list. Start with the Freedom Trail or Duck Boat tours. Boston is a small walking city and very safe, so 2 1/2 months will fly by.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed May 26, 2010 4:57 pm

..
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

revolution724
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:16 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby revolution724 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:05 pm

She's so lucky. There are tons of things to do in Boston and I would cut off a limb for 2 1/2 months in which to putter around Cambridge.

Summer classes at Harvard are a good idea; she could also take something through the Cambridge Center for Adult Education.

She should take at least a week just to tool around the city. Cambridge itself is beautiful and full of shops and restaurants, and so is much of Boston proper (Charles Street, area around Boston Common, Botanical Gardens, Newbury Street, the Emerald Necklace and Freedom Trail spring to mind). Be sure to go out to dinner for Italian food in the North End at least once, and get dessert at Mike's Pastry. See what's playing at the Hatch Shell, which is an open-air auditorium near the Charles River where there are often free movies or concerts.

There are also tons of places to volunteer, depending on her interests, as other people have mentioned.

The Boston Phoenix can be a good source of information on goings-on and opportunities. http://www.bostonphoenix.com.

She might even want to do some Craigslist surfing to see if any of the many hospitals and/or medical schools have openings for temporary research assistants, if she'd like to boost her resume.

As stated before, the T (subway) is all over the place, and stops in Harvard Square, so a car should not be necessary. I lived there for seven years without one, very happily.

Have fun!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed May 26, 2010 8:44 pm

ah thanks for all the help and replies

i hadnt imagined getting a short research volunteer job at a hospital or whatnot was that feasible. i think tomorrow im going to call up Harvard and see if they have ANY unpaid job that she could do haha.

User avatar
pilawpcv
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:29 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby pilawpcv » Sat May 29, 2010 2:56 am

Call the Harvard SEO (student employment office). Despite the name, they have been known to help non-students find work so they can fill less desirable (unpaid) positions, especially in the summer when students largely leave.

Try self- guided walking tours from Harvard Square- just head straight down Mass Ave or Cambridge St. Both will take you through interesting neighborhoods into Boston, and no area within walking distance is too dangerous in the daytime.

Also try this site : http://www.boston.com/travel/boston/gal ... 25_summer/
25 things under $25. Some are cheesy, but most are fun :-)

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby Zara » Sat May 29, 2010 8:28 am

Dana-Farber Cancer Institute often has positions open for research and/or volunteering. I volunteered there for 2 years and loved it...I'm hoping to fit in some volunteer time there on the weekends when I move to cambridge this fall. It is affiliated with Harvard Medical School, so she'll get a good chance to make a lot of good contacts with the medical school if harvard is a school she's looking at (which I would assume it is, since you are going there). Dana-Farber is also recognized as one of the leading cancer centers in the world so any work there looks really good on a resume.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat May 29, 2010 3:16 pm

Zara wrote:Dana-Farber Cancer Institute often has positions open for research and/or volunteering. I volunteered there for 2 years and loved it...I'm hoping to fit in some volunteer time there on the weekends when I move to cambridge this fall. It is affiliated with Harvard Medical School, so she'll get a good chance to make a lot of good contacts with the medical school if harvard is a school she's looking at (which I would assume it is, since you are going there). Dana-Farber is also recognized as one of the leading cancer centers in the world so any work there looks really good on a resume.


oh wow this one sounds really promising. i will call them after this weekend. hopefully they will have open volunteering positions. do you know of easy public access to it? our place would prob be right up next to Harvard

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sat May 29, 2010 3:26 pm

What a great opportunity for her - definitely should consider volunteering.

There's Fenway Health that always needs assistance, tutoring at local high schools or after-school community centers, volunteer in the micro lab of a hospital (perhaps BIDMC), Boston's Healthcare for the Homeless Program, American Red Cross blood drives, soup kitchen....

She should embrace this opportunity where working isn't a necessity and take advantage of building karma!

Zara
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:37 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby Zara » Sat May 29, 2010 7:53 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Zara wrote:Dana-Farber Cancer Institute often has positions open for research and/or volunteering. I volunteered there for 2 years and loved it...I'm hoping to fit in some volunteer time there on the weekends when I move to cambridge this fall. It is affiliated with Harvard Medical School, so she'll get a good chance to make a lot of good contacts with the medical school if harvard is a school she's looking at (which I would assume it is, since you are going there). Dana-Farber is also recognized as one of the leading cancer centers in the world so any work there looks really good on a resume.


oh wow this one sounds really promising. i will call them after this weekend. hopefully they will have open volunteering positions. do you know of easy public access to it? our place would prob be right up next to Harvard


It's really easy to get to. From Harvard Law she'll have to take the red line down to Boylston and then transfer to the green line and take it to Longwood Medical. Then she'll have to walk maybe 10 minutes. It's on a side street off the same road as Harvard Medical School and really close to a lot of universities (Northeastern, Wheelock), so the trains run very frequently and she'll have no problem getting there.

Oh it's also within walking distance of the Museum of Fine Arts.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby TTH » Sun May 30, 2010 1:00 pm

ITT: OP brags about going to Harvard

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby HazelEyes » Sun May 30, 2010 1:19 pm

TTH wrote:ITT: OP brags about going to Harvard


I was seriously thinking the same thing.

Still- I'd be bragging too... :)

rv11
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:58 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby rv11 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:22 pm

revolution724 wrote:She's so lucky. There are tons of things to do in Boston and I would cut off a limb for 2 1/2 months in which to putter around Cambridge.


OK.

TTH wrote:ITT: OP brags about going to Harvard


Exactly what I thought too.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun May 30, 2010 10:08 pm

rv11 wrote:
revolution724 wrote:She's so lucky. There are tons of things to do in Boston and I would cut off a limb for 2 1/2 months in which to putter around Cambridge.


OK.

TTH wrote:ITT: OP brags about going to Harvard


Exactly what I thought too.


lol does everyone think that? i apologize then, it was not my intent, but i dont really know the area and i wont have a car, so transportation/i.e. location is pretty crucial (and if it matters, im from the south, where public transit does not really exist, so a bit unfamiliar w/ it in general)

im also too lazy to have already looked up specific street names haha

OG Loc
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby OG Loc » Sun May 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Put on a Yankees hat and head down to a Southie bar. Would surely make for a memorable experience.

jjleague
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:29 am

Re: Need something for SO to do in Boston

Postby jjleague » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:58 am

drive the cah ah-round the cah-nah tha'd be wicked bad




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: m052310, TheDapperDruid and 2 guests