Is Anyone Paying Sticker for a T2 School? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
b.j.

Bronze

Is Anyone Paying Sticker for a T2 School?

Post by b.j. » Mon May 24, 2010 9:09 pm

It's very possible I will do this. Assuming nothing changes (more on why it might, but also might not, below), that would leave me with just shy of $200,000 in loans (the school is in the NYC metro area and thus the cost of living is high). That's simply staggering, I'm sure you guys would agree.

I've gone back and forth on this. The optimist in me says that the legal market will be better in three years, even if it's not as great as it once was, and that by doing well, I will either be able to get a good job--not necessarily at a T10 firm on the Vault list, but somewhere respectable that will give me a chance to pay off my debts--or transfer to a better school that will enable me to get a good job. If I end up doing well, perhaps I can get scholarship money (I'm not getting any right now) that will lessen the burden somewhat, but if I do well enough to transfer to a much better school (NYU, perhaps), perhaps the outsized cost will be worth it. If my school has around 400 students, being in the top ten percent, while not easy, isn't that hard, numerically speaking. No, the competition won't be easy, but it won't be as intense as if I attended Harvard.

I'm going to meet with the financial aid people this week to talk about this. I get that I've worked for the past couple of years, but even living at home, I don't see why I got nothing in need-based grants. Maybe I can change that.

The pessimist in me says that I am either insane or a fool to take out that much in loans. (Maybe both?) I could go on about why this might be so, and so can and have many others here, but there's no point. We all know why that would be the case.

The way I see it is that I will simply drop out if I don't do well enough. No, that's not a good position to be in, but if after two semesters I am not doing well enough to justify either staying or transferring, it should be clear that the investment will not be worth it. It'll suck to be that much in the hole without a degree, but at the same time, in this worst case scenario, I would stop adding to the debt. To be clear, I am not going in with the intention of dropping out. It's just that I like to think I know when to cut my losses.

Anyway, is anyone in a similar position?

megaTTTron

Silver

Re: Is Anyone Paying Sticker for a T2 School?

Post by megaTTTron » Mon May 24, 2010 9:11 pm

b.j. wrote:It's very possible I will do this. Assuming nothing changes (more on why it might, but also might not, below), that would leave me with just shy of $200,000 in loans (the school is in the NYC metro area and thus the cost of living is high). That's simply staggering, I'm sure you guys would agree.

I've gone back and forth on this. The optimist in me says that the legal market will be better in three years, even if it's not as great as it once was, and that by doing well, I will either be able to get a good job--not necessarily at a T10 firm on the Vault list, but somewhere respectable that will give me a chance to pay off my debts--or transfer to a better school that will enable me to get a good job. If I end up doing well, perhaps I can get scholarship money (I'm not getting any right now) that will lessen the burden somewhat, but if I do well enough to transfer to a much better school (NYU, perhaps), perhaps the outsized cost will be worth it. If my school has around 400 students, being in the top ten percent, while not easy, isn't that hard, numerically speaking. No, the competition won't be easy, but it won't be as intense as if I attended Harvard.

I'm going to meet with the financial aid people this week to talk about this. I get that I've worked for the past couple of years, but even living at home, I don't see why I got nothing in need-based grants. Maybe I can change that.

The pessimist in me says that I am either insane or a fool to take out that much in loans. (Maybe both?) I could go on about why this might be so, and so can and have many others here, but there's no point. We all know why that would be the case.

The way I see it is that I will simply drop out if I don't do well enough. No, that's not a good position to be in, but if after two semesters I am not doing well enough to justify either staying or transferring, it should be clear that the investment will not be worth it. It'll suck to be that much in the hole without a degree, but at the same time, in this worst case scenario, I would stop adding to the debt. To be clear, I am not going in with the intention of dropping out. It's just that I like to think I know when to cut my losses.

Anyway, is anyone in a similar position?
IN before this post gets shredded.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Mon May 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Don't do this.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:16 pm

As someone who will be attending a T2... you are insane to take out $200k. Please, do yourself a favor and go to your state school if you can't get T14 - not some overpriced private that you will likely regret spending the $$$ on.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon May 24, 2010 9:17 pm

keg411 wrote:As someone who will be attending a T2... you are insane to take out $200k. Please, do yourself a favor and go to your state school if you can't get T14 - not some overpriced private that you will likely regret spending the $$$ on.
keg -- are you getting a phat scholly???

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon May 24, 2010 9:18 pm

200k for a NYC T2 is not an option. you should either retake or rethink your career plans.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Mon May 24, 2010 9:21 pm

b.j. wrote:I... If my school has around 400 students, being in the top ten percent, while not easy, isn't that hard, numerically speaking. No, the competition won't be easy, but it won't be as intense as if I attended Harvard.
The problem here is that there are at least 40 other people who think this, but only 40 of them can be there. They are just as smart and hard-working as you are. Some of them turned down higher ranked, and possibly much more competitive, schools for highly tempting financial offers. They, too, think they are going to be in the top 10%.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
b.j. wrote:I... If my school has around 400 students, being in the top ten percent, while not easy, isn't that hard, numerically speaking. No, the competition won't be easy, but it won't be as intense as if I attended Harvard.
The problem here is that there are at least 40 other people who think this, but only 40 of them can be there. They are just as smart and hard-working as you are. Some of them turned down higher ranked, and possibly much more competitive, schools for highly tempting financial offers. They, too, think they are going to be in the top 10%.
Only 40? Try 350.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:24 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
keg411 wrote:As someone who will be attending a T2... you are insane to take out $200k. Please, do yourself a favor and go to your state school if you can't get T14 - not some overpriced private that you will likely regret spending the $$$ on.
;)

Scholly + state school + don't need COL loans (or private loans at all) + massive legal connections in state (not BigLaw, but good enough that I will be employed at worst 9 months after grad) = win :D.

BTW, anything less than that, I would have just bagged the whole thing and stayed at my job. Realized about halfway through my cycle that spending $$$ and leaving my home market was a poor idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon May 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
I understand this.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm

keg411 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
;)

Scholly + state school + don't need COL loans (or private loans at all) + massive legal connections in state (not BigLaw, but good enough that I will be employed at worst 9 months after grad) = win :D.

BTW, anything less than that, I would have just bagged the whole thing and stayed at my job. Realized about halfway through my cycle that spending $$$ and leaving my home market was a poor idea.
Enjoy what will undoubtably be a baller career. Well done.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon May 24, 2010 9:26 pm

b.j. wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:
I understand this.
Clearly not, if you did, you would realize that it is not "numerically easy" to get into the top 10%.

K, done hijacking your thread.

PLATONiC

Bronze

Post by PLATONiC » Mon May 24, 2010 9:27 pm

If you're seriously interested in law, then a T2 could still prepare you to do what this guy did: http://www.startlawpractice.com/

I mean, it only costs like $3,000 dollars to start your own solo practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:30 pm

I don't think I would pay sticker for any law school. (YH as possible exceptions)

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 pm

PLATONiC wrote:If you're seriously interested in law, then a T2 could still prepare you to do what this guy did: http://www.startlawpractice.com/

This has to be a flame...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Enjoy what will undoubtably be a baller career. Well done.
Dunno if it will be "baller" (as I'm not looking at anything prestigious by a long shot)... but it will be at least be "okay".

/end hijack

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm

1. You assume that your employment prospects will depend on the state of the economy three years from now, rather than one year from now.

2. You think you'll probably get a biglaw job (though "not in the V10" - I guess you're just going to settle for the V20?).

3. In the alternative, you think you'll be able to transfer to a top 10 school.

4. You think that being in the top 10% isn't that hard.

5. You claim to be willing to eat ~$60,000 in first-year cost of attendance if you don't do well your first year.

6. You think that you'll get scholarship money for doing well your first year.

In short, you're an idiot six times over, in all the quintessential ways an aspiring law student could be an idiot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:1. You assume that your employment prospects will depend on the state of the economy three years from now, rather than one year from now.

2. You think you'll probably get a biglaw job (though "not in the V10" - I guess you're just going to settle for the V20?).

5. You claim to be willing to eat ~$60,000 in first-year cost of attendance if you don't do well your first year.

In short, you're an idiot six times over, in all the quintessential ways an aspiring law student could be an idiot.
+1
I really hope this is a flame

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Just say no.

TexasDemocrat

New

Post by TexasDemocrat » Mon May 24, 2010 9:53 pm

PLATONiC wrote:
LOL

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:1. You assume that your employment prospects will depend on the state of the economy three years from now, rather than one year from now.

5 seems to be the only rational way to pay sticker at a T2 if for some reason you really want to be a lawyer and don't have better options. It is of course a $60k gamble, but at least it isn't a $200k forfeiture so that one can do document review and one would be going in with their eyes wide.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
b.j. wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:
I understand this.
Clearly not, if you did, you would realize that it is not "numerically easy" to get into the top 10%.

K, done hijacking your thread.
You didn't hijack the thread.

I guess my thought wasn't clear. Maybe that's because it wasn't entirely sensible, but whatever.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon May 24, 2010 9:58 pm

lostjake wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:If you're seriously interested in law, then a T2 could still prepare you to do what this guy did: http://www.startlawpractice.com/

This has to be a flame...
What is flame? Me or the guy who made the suggestion involving $3,000?

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Mon May 24, 2010 10:00 pm

i don't recommend this often, but you should really read jdunderground (google it). just...check it out. it could be you. very soon.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Mon May 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Don't do it unless you're so well connected that your school is really just a formality or there is literally no other path for you and you must be a lawyer no matter what, and this is the best school, by far, that you got into. Even then, you're making a terribly expensive decision. I'm going to a T2 and even though I like the school, I would not go without $$$$/other factors.

Dare I ask - did you get money at a T3?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”