Georgetown 3L's talk about there employment opportunities...

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
MurderafterMidnight

Georgetown 3L's talk about there employment opportunities...

Postby MurderafterMidnight » Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Well these are gt 3l's and man they don't sound to happy............
I'm really shocked to hear this from students at a t14................
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127041058

A'nold

Re: Georgetown 3L's talk about there employment opportunities...

Postby A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 11:18 pm

Oh gee, I mean, without even reading that link, I can already tell that you yourself must go to GULC and not some rancid TTT and you DIDN'T expect to get biglaw from your TTT......"Georgetown 3L's talk about there employment opportunities..."

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat May 22, 2010 11:24 pm

A'nold wrote:Oh gee, I mean, without even reading that link, I can already tell that you yourself must go to GULC and not some rancid TTT and you DIDN'T expect to get biglaw from your TTT......"Georgetown 3L's talk about there employment opportunities..."

That was the first thing you noticed too eh?

Oh and LOL GeorgeTTTown.
Last edited by dextermorgan on Sat May 22, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat May 22, 2010 11:25 pm

A'nold wrote:Oh gee, I mean, without even reading that link, I can already tell that you yourself must go to GULC and not some rancid TTT and you DIDN'T expect to get biglaw from your TTT......"Georgetown 3L's talk about there employment opportunities..."

Dude - NPR's a solid source. Who really cares about a careless typo on a internet forum made at 11pm? I'm reading the transcript now. Thanks for posting OP.

Cheezboogers.

Postby Cheezboogers. » Sat May 22, 2010 11:26 pm

This is incoherent. Congratulations.

slider

Postby slider » Sat May 22, 2010 11:27 pm

I don't think that's a typo.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat May 22, 2010 11:30 pm

slider wrote:I don't think that's a typo.

If it's not, then I retract my comment. But, as an NPR buff, I'd still rather give OP the benefit of the doubt. :mrgreen:

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:32 pm

I just came in here to see how many people called out the there. Answer: many. And I can now return to whatever life I have that leaves me sitting at home at 11:30PM on a Saturday.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:33 pm

*their.

That should be expected. No one, outside of HYS (I guess), should go to law school with the expectation of making $160,000.

Normally 1L's rising into 2L year have a more accurate picture of what to expect employment wise as opposed to 0L's. There are a variety of things that can happen in law school that can affect employment outcomes once you are in school (such as having the right background at the right interview with the right employer), but generally these things are impossible to know going into law school. True some people will say it is just the economy and that it will get better, but it will never be like it was again (at least, not exactly). This is why I never advocate full price to law schools. All it is is a high stakes gamble if you are only pursuing "big law," even at T14s.

The primary problem with the entire situation is this:

Small private employers have 0 interest in hiring new graduates because they can't afford to function effectively and spend money to train them (okay technically no one can function effectively and train new graduates, but that is another story). Large employers only hire the top part of each class (from top 10% - top 50%; assuming those individuals have personality and whatever else).

Therefore most graduates that do not finish at the top of their classes are pretty much shut out of the private sector aside from starting the own firms (true there are a couple other options, but I'm not talking about them here). That leaves public interest, government, academia, and business industry for job prospects. Public interest is fulfilling, but is not viable for the long term unless that individual either 1) has a die-hard interest in the area or 2) has parents with an extremely high net worth so that they would not have to worry about money in the slightest bit. Government can be fulfilling as well, but as some posters have noted, there is a spectrum of government work. At one end is super prestigious positions - at the other end is respectable but not prestigious positions. Academia is usually almost impossible to get into. I'm pretty sure that US News counts working at high schools and undergraduate schools as part of academia, so it has a spectrum as well. There are ultra high gpa/yale/havard graduates working and then there are people who couldn't find another job outside of high school/college. The fact that business and industry is one single section for employment in US News is criminal. If someone worked at a corporation, counting the job would be fine. If someone worked at Mcdonalds, counting the job would not be fine.

Basically there are jobs, but they are not necessary in areas that people are interested going into when they enter law school. Not only that, but the private sector in its entirety is difficult to get into without high grades at a good school. This stuff is far more complicated than it should be; its complicated nature allows for a lot of bs.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Uh, trust me, that was no typo. It is a JDU troll that wants to grace us with his infinite wisdom on how the law field, unlike every other field, is saturated and jobs are hard to find and that we should all become plummers or garbage men.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat May 22, 2010 11:42 pm

A'nold wrote:Uh, trust me, that was no typo. It is a JDU troll that wants to grace us with his infinite wisdom on how the law field, unlike every other field, is saturated and jobs are hard to find and that we should all become plummers or garbage men.

There's no need for you to pretend to know what you're talking about. A cursory glance over the OP's other posts shows s/he is not a troll. The real trolls on this site are the people who constantly scream "flame" without the least bit of evidence.

The link given by the OP is legit. My father was just talking to me about hearing the story earlier today.

Yimbeezy

Postby Yimbeezy » Sun May 23, 2010 12:09 am

B
A'nold wrote:Uh, trust me, that was no typo. It is a JDU troll that wants to grace us with his infinite wisdom on how the law field, unlike every other field, is saturated and jobs are hard to find and that we should all become plummers or garbage men.

I believe they are called plumbers.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun May 23, 2010 12:11 am

Plummers? I normally don't care about typos on an internet message board, but you do, so I thought I'd point that out for you.

Also, I don't think OP is a troll he posted an interesting link from NPR. It's good to get perspective about post-graduation career options available to law students on a forum that's filled with prospective law school students. While most people on these boards already know as much, maybe not everyone does.

Also, not every other field is saturated. It's tough to think of a profession that takes as much time and money (in terms of education) to break into that is as saturated as the legal market.

MurderafterMidnight

Postby MurderafterMidnight » Sun May 23, 2010 12:16 am

Guys it was an honest mistake. It is late here and i am very sleepy. I heard this on the radio yesterday and wanted to post it.

I think you guys might be taking the typo too far.
Last edited by MurderafterMidnight on Sun May 23, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 am

MurderafterMidnight wrote:Guys it was an honest mistake. It is late here and i am very sleepy. I heard this on the radio yesterday and wanted to post it.

I think you guys might be taking the typo to far.

"too" :D

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 23, 2010 12:40 am

:roll: :roll: Oh noes! Look at the the retarded 0L's acting like they know something! I never said that the source was bad, I said that the bearer of this horrible, earth shattering, run for your lives news came from a JDU troll. Thanks for playing though.

MurderafterMidnight

Postby MurderafterMidnight » Sun May 23, 2010 12:50 am

A'nold wrote::roll: :roll: Oh noes! Look at the the retarded 0L's acting like they know something! I never said that the source was bad, I said that the bearer of this horrible, earth shattering, run for your lives news came from a JDU troll. Thanks for playing though.

Hey man I think your trying to go to "hard" on me man. I made a mistake and i owned up to it. I am not even in law school yet. You can check some of my other threads on this site and you will see i am not a troll...........

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 am

To be fair, my high school econ teacher claimed that garbage collectors in large metros can make bank with adequate time on the job...

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 am

The interviewer calls GULC a T10. Way to troll npr.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:20 am

In before Nealric pwns this thread with his Biglaw offer.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sun May 23, 2010 2:09 am

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 am

NoleinNY wrote:

To be fair, my high school econ teacher claimed that garbage collectors in large metros can make bank with adequate time on the job...

That's the point. The JDU'ers always talk about how everyone should just go to trade school and be a plumber or a garbage man. Here's a question: what if you don't want to be a freaking plumber or a garbage man, and you want to be a lawyer? I know that is a very deep and philosophical question, but still.......... :roll:

teabag

Postby teabag » Sun May 23, 2010 3:44 am

great im starting at gulc this fall

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun May 23, 2010 10:33 am

A'nold wrote::roll: :roll: Oh noes! Look at the the retarded 0L's acting like they know something! I never said that the source was bad, I said that the bearer of this horrible, earth shattering, run for your lives news came from a JDU troll. Thanks for playing though.

You make it look so easy. Just point out that we're 0L's (as if that had any bearing at all on being able to detect an internet forum troll) and you're magically right -- he's got to be a JDU troll in spite of all the evidence being to the contrary! I love how you shift the burden of proof and try to make it look like someone else is the one who's making a baseless claim and pretending to know that they are right. Your reasoning at the end is superb, too: "I'm not making a verifiable claim about the link he posted, I'm ONLY discrediting his entire account on the basis of no evidence."

You're ridiculous.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:42 am

MurderafterMidnight wrote:Well these are gt 3l's and man they don't sound to happy............
I'm really shocked to hear this from students at a t14................
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127041058

Yes, ITE people graduate under or unemployed even at T14's. This isn't news to anyone who's been paying attention.

Return to “Law School FAQ”