Law Review and Dual Degree

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
to_the_point

Law Review and Dual Degree

Postby to_the_point » Sat May 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Is it possible to be on law review and work in a dual degree program?

IzziesGal

Re: Law Review and Dual Degree

Postby IzziesGal » Sat May 22, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't see why not. From what I keep hearing, law review is totally manageable as long as you don't hold a board position and you're not involved in 30 other extracurriculars. The people on our law review have consistently said that board positions are where the time commitment starts to get super heavy. I can vouch for this b/c I was a general member of my journal for my first semester of 1L, and then picked up a board position for my 2L year, and the work has increased tenfold already.

Edit: I am a rising 2L and my work on the board started in March.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:47 pm

to_the_point wrote:Is it possible to be on law review and work in a dual degree program?

Generally, dual degree programs increase your schooling by a year. I've only heard of one person who tried to get a dual degree without lengthening their schooling significantly Its killing them.

to_the_point

Postby to_the_point » Sat May 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Thank you for the replies.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat May 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Interesting question. The answer probably depends upon your particular school & degree programs. If I had to guess, my answer would be no since being a staff member on the law review typically occurs during one's second year of law school which is probably the same year that a dual degree candidate would be required to be enrolled in the MBA school (especially so since MBA programs usually require a heavy time committment for group projects).
However, your law school may allow one to qualify for law review as a third year law student in which case you could be a staff member (staff writer) but not an editor until your fourth year of the dual degree program which would be your third year of law school. I know that my answer may appear to be confusing, but it will simply depend upon your law school's policy regarding law review qualification.

Barolo

Postby Barolo » Sat May 22, 2010 6:02 pm

I do have a friend who just graduated with his JD/MBA and was on LR.

This may be school dependent, but it's possible,

Return to “Law School FAQ”